Far Cry 3, controller or keyboard?

caligrown

n00b
Just picked up FC3 for PC, suggestions on whats best: xbox controller or keyboard+mouse?

I'd never play with a 360 controller if I was at a desk, but I'll be damned if I use a KB/M on the Couch.

I prefer keyboard mouse but have yet to be able to try a controller. My friend prefer's controller because he gets carpul tunnel or something or other.

I was sick in bed during the week I got this, so I played it on med/low mixed settings on my laptop with an xbox controller. It wasn't that bad of an experience actually.

The graphics still look really good at that level (though clearly not on par with them cranked up), and the controller wasn't a horrible experience, though the snap to target was a bit stronger than I would have liked.

Once I was well enough to get out of bed, I played it on my desktop with kb/m with settings cranked, and it felt a lot better. Though I think that's because it ran smoother, not because of the controller vs kb/m thing.

tl;dr - the game is great with both, use what you prefer

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?? .. Using a tiny thumb stick for my right thumb to get headshots.. absolutely insane.

Keyboard + Mouse for FPS >>>

Oddly, I am comfortable using my 360 controller for this, Bioshock and Crysis.

Maybe because after keyboard jockeying all day at work its easier.

Controller for me, but my gaming is on the HTPC in the living room... couch or recliner always equals controller

I agree with the consensus : KB/M

I have a controller hooked up to my system, it makes sense for some games. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

The combat system in FC3 is so rewarding that not using KB/M is cheating yourself especially as a stealth type player. If you like to Rambo into bases then dive kick's two button control scheme is enough.

Both work fine. I ended up going with the KB/M most of the time, although the game is usually paced slow enough where using a pad is more than sufficient.
Sometimes open world games feel more "immersive" with a controller (like Skyrim) since they aren't as twitchy, but FC3 works well being able to twitch aim OR line up shots with the slower analog aiming.

why not k/m while on foot and controller for vehicles??? is that too crazy?

Unfortunately my kb/m completely switches off when I have the controller plugged in, cause I do find driving with keyboard a pita!

But for all other times, definitely kb/m is best

Controller for me, but my gaming is on the HTPC in the living room... couch or recliner always equals controller

Screw that, I use a KB/M in recliner every day. Just as easy as sitting at a desk but much more comfortable. No way in hell am I trading in a KB/M for a controller, especially in a FPS, just because I'm sitting in a recliner.

Back