Far Cry 2 Review: "A Shooter Like No Other" (8.9 - IGN)

AtramentiA

n00b
While I've been looking forward to this, I wasn't expecting this solid of a review, for a few different reasons. But after reading it in it's entirety, SecuROM or not, I don't think I'm going to pass this title up.

Have a read: IGN Far Cry 2 Review

I thought this review was a bit superficial and could have gone more in-depth.

Thank god the graphics look better on pc than on 360. When I played the 360 version I was dissapointed with them. I can't wait to pick this up.

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, since the post was pretty fluid and concise.

I gotta look into this... but I don't have Vista... so the lack of DX10 might not make things so great.

am I weird for wanting a crysis nanosuit in farcry 2? i think that would be bad ass.....

I actually kind of agree. Hopefully someone does this as a mod... It's going to be hard to play FPS without a nanosuit from now on :p

I've been keeping an eye on this game for quite some time, and the same question remains:

What's this have to do with the first Far Cry?

After reading the review, the answer seems to be "nothing".

...so why the name? Does Ubisoft really think people wouldn't be willing to give a new franchise a chance, even when it's quality (as FC2 is, according to IGN)? Well, Ubi... Dead Space says hello!

25 hours of single player game play? Doesnt need a monster machine like crysis?...i dunno this seems pretty solid....

I've been keeping an eye on this game for quite some time, and the same question remains:

What's this have to do with the first Far Cry?

After reading the review, the answer seems to be "nothing".

...so why the name? Does Ubisoft really think people wouldn't be willing to give a new franchise a chance, even when it's quality (as FC2 is, according to IGN)? Well, Ubi... Dead Space says hello!

I agree.... The name is stupid. I loved Far Cry but the name has nothing to do with anything. We all know why the name is what it is. ;)

corrections PC: 2 Console: 1

Dead Space on PC = FAIL!

Nope.

Early reviewers who never heard of Vsync causing input lag=FAIL. Remind me again why they get paid to play games?

On topic - I never thought I'd actually care for this game because I assumed it would be using the Crysis engie or something similar in it's requirements, and that would mean I don't even want to bother with it.. but guess I assumed wrong!

It does look sort of boring, though.. just run and gun in an african setting with very little variance in enemies. But then again I only watched the IGN movie review and haven't actually read a thing about it. So we'll see

I agree.... The name is stupid. I loved Far Cry but the name has nothing to do with anything. We all know why the name is what it is. ;)

No, you have to read the it in the original German. It doesn't translate.:D

Looks pretty cool. It's Steam for me.

Dammit, I've already bought four games on Steam over the last week and now another one?

Oh well! :)

So is the "dunia" engine (or whatever its called) a croc of shit? All the preview videos demonstrated all these incredible things like real time weather transitions, real time vegetation growth and realistic fire behaviour. Would not be surprised if all these features were conveniently cut after the hype machine had achieved sufficient momentum.

While I've been looking forward to this, I wasn't expecting this solid of a review, for a few different reasons. But after reading it in it's entirety, SecuROM or not, I don't think I'm going to pass this title up.

Have a read: IGN Far Cry 2 Review

I'll probably pick up a copy of this game without Securom *ducks*

So is the "dunia" engine (or whatever its called) a croc of shit? All the preview videos demonstrated all these incredible things like real time weather transitions, real time vegetation growth and realistic fire behaviour. Would not be surprised if all these features were conveniently cut after the hype machine had achieved sufficient momentum.

Judging by the review at gamespot the weather and fire is in but I didn't notice any mention in either about vegetation growth: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/farcry2/review.html

8.9? That's better.

Gamestop (Noobstop?) praised the game all throughout the review only criticizing its story and then they give it a freaking 8.5! I mean, they gave Crysis a 9.5, WTF?!

So... would you kindly explain to me like I'm a five years old, how is it again that Crysis' story is awesome and Far Cry 2 has a awful story and is a mediocre game, again, compared to Crysis. Anyone?

So... would you kindly explain to me like I'm a five years old, how is it again that Crysis' story is awesome and Far Cry 2 has a awful story and is a mediocre game, again, compared to Crysis. Anyone?

Do you need Far Cry 2 to score better than Crysis ?!

Anyway, the reviews go on about the same problems. Basically Far Cry 2 is very repetitive. Even though it has some very good moments, it fails short of expectations when you repeat the same action over and over again.

truth!

i just wish i could preload the damn game on steam. i'm not even going to be around when they unlock it tomorrow at 4 pst.

What? Why so late? That's 5pm for me. I knew I should have decided to just hit up the gamestop 2 minutes from my house for a boxed copy.

real time weather is there, so is the fire

So when is this game unlocking on STEAM? I went to start the download before I head to class only to be disappointed:(

Nope.

Early reviewers who never heard of Vsync causing input lag=FAIL. Remind me again why they get paid to play games?

On topic - I never thought I'd actually care for this game because I assumed it would be using the Crysis engie or something similar in it's requirements, and that would mean I don't even want to bother with it.. but guess I assumed wrong!

It does look sort of boring, though.. just run and gun in an african setting with very little variance in enemies. But then again I only watched the IGN movie review and haven't actually read a thing about it. So we'll see

This kind of ignores the fact that hundreds of PC games have been released in the past that didn't have this issue. For many of us who game on LCD monitors, vsync is a requirement. Screen tearing is very distracting and destroys the experience.

So no, the programmers still fail for making the game suck with vsync on.

I believe I'll be picking it up. I need something to give my new E8400 a workout.

Seems to me like this is an awesome game, but the reviews are reflecting that it didn't live up to all the expectations and is only meeting some of the hype.

Back