Far Cry 2 50% off = $15

does the steam version really have secure-rom or is that just a knee jerk post based on the disc version?

does the steam version really have secure-rom or is that just a knee jerk post based on the disc version?

nm, answered it myself, yes it does.

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™

that's a deal breaker. =(

Whoa whoa you guys biting on this game are making a huge mistake, this is coming from a new FC2 enthusiast who was highly let down 3 hours into the game. Please, don't do it ><

Maybe the Weekend deal will be World in Conflict and I'll have more people to own on the multiplayer servers. Such an awesome game to be so unpopular.

I bit. Even if its only mildly entertaining, its worth the $15.

That's exactly how my g/f discribes me :)

All in all, a very good game and well worth $15. I know there are naysayers, but this is one of the only recent titles I consistantly pick up every so often for a frag-fest.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I might have to pass. I don't like the sound of the endless driving.
I hope WIC is on sale tomorrow, Ive been thinking about getting it for a while now.

I don't get how steam gets off selling COD5 for $49.99. All they are selling you is a link to the the download....no box, cds, manuals etc. I refuse to pay over $30 for a game on Steam.

They sell at retail because publishers among others have threatened Valve if they underprice that they get no business from them.

Also, paying 50$ for a game via steam still has a few benefits, #1 I don't have to waste gas to drive anywhere #2 I don't have to pay tax and finally #3 I skip paying for shipping.

Granted, go.gamer / amazon / ebay also can have wicked deals that nulify #3 but to blame steam for 50$ games is just dishonest.

^^
and its much easier to install on multiple platforms than using a disc
I love steam now, buying just so I can have it on my netbook

Picked it up, 15 minutes in I like it (but most people do at that point). Incredibly gorgeous game, that's for sure.

Just record your first 15-min and put it on auto play-back for like 50-hrs. Now you have an idea of what FC2 is. Save your money. I'd wouldn't even waste my time if it was free. Much better looking games elsewhere with better gameplay. If you want to see boring African plains in all brown pastels, go watch Animal Planet or something. hell I just went to Vista and finally got Halo 2. Way more fun than FC2.

I'd wouldn't even waste my time if it was free.

:rolleyes:

If you want to see boring African plains in all brown pastels, go watch Animal Planet or something.

Did you even play the game? There are a variety of different landscapes, from lush greenery to brown desert. Rivers, towns, etc. I wouldn't say it's bland at all unless you only spent your time running around in the same small desert area for hours.

hell I just went to Vista and finally got Halo 2. Way more fun than FC2.

Ah, well. You liked Halo 2. Suddenly it all becomes clear...

The scenery is fine, or at least it looks really good, but it's exactly what I envisioned. There's one zebra here and there. No herds of elephants in the distance or anything.

Requesting picture of multiplayer server browser please. This came with my video card but then I sold it for $15, never got to try it out.

me too.
i dont care too much about single player, but those environments look like they would make an awesome multiplayer

The scenery is fine, or at least it looks really good, but it's exactly what I envisioned. There's one zebra here and there. No herds of elephants in the distance or anything.

Yeah, that is one thing. In all the trailers it made it seem like there was going to be wildlife all over, but in the actual game I haven't seen any yet. It's not really a big deal, but still.

50% off sale's extended "through" Monday...

Okay, who's going to wait 'til Tuesday then complain that the sale ended early!? Who's it gonna be!?!?!?!?

So I noticed guys can take 4-5 rounds from a G3 and keep coming? Reality is even with body armor one round from that gun would put you down.

I would recommend trying this game out before playing it. This is one of the years biggest let downs.

This coming from a fan of FarCry (the original) and Crysis.

Im glad i didnt get this when it was $50... I ALMOST got it for $30 at BB... thankfully I didnt.

I like FarCry2.

The story might be a little weak (like most fps games) however i think its still ok.

Personally i think it is better then crysis in terms of: atmosphere, interaction and overall finer details.

The environments just appear to have more detail and better textures then crysis.
Some details in the environment such as the change of day to night is very well done in this game, Also one of the coolest things is the ability to catch swaths of land/forests/trees etc on fire.

I find even the guns have better detail and animations ( leave your guy alone for awhile and he inspects each weapon showing off some of the details).

The various vehicles are also nice and easy to use and control (and repair), there is even hand gliders that are fun to fly around and enjoy the scenery.

So while the story itself is nothing really special, the games graphical details on the other hand are quite nice and worth the look, assuming you have a nice computer system.

This is very untrue. :eek:

Well I'm sure if you have the time, you could probably dig up technical details on the size of the textures used in both games and prove me wrong, however from a purely subjective view of various items within the game environment, i find that there is more attention to detail in farcry2 then in crysis, be it either within the weapon models or even simple things like the leather dashboard, or rusty paint on the vehicles, it just looks better to me.

On another note it really sucks that even on Steam this game still has Securom DRM.
That alone will keep some people from getting this game.

This is very untrue. :eek:
I agree, this game doesn't even come close to Crysis and graphically is nothing spectacular (which makes it even sadder that it runs as poorly as it does).

Anyway, I felt FC2 is way too claustrophobic and definitely has the character of a console game. If I didn't get it for free, I probably would have picked it up later for $10.

I agree, this game doesn't even come close to Crysis and graphically is nothing spectacular (which makes it even sadder that it runs as poorly as it does).

Anyway, I felt FC2 is way too claustrophobic and definitely has the character of a console game. If I didn't get it for free, I probably would have picked it up later for $10.

That's odd...I played FC2 on my Q6600 rig using both an HD4870 as well as a GTX 260, and it ran beautifully. It definitely runs better than Crysis and is a much newer game. Why do you say it runs poorly?

Also, I won't argue that FC2 has some flaws but being claustrophobic is not one that comes to mind. What makes you say that? I actually thought it was pretty open-ended myself. I loved the graphics and the shooting aspects of the gameplay were great...it was the endless driving across the huge map that pretty much killed it for me. The respawning enemies didn't really help either; I haven't really been fond of respawning enemies since the days of Metroid on the 8-bit NES (and even then it got old).

Back