FAQ requests.

Phoenix86

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, we always seem to get the same questions over and over that have the same answer over and over. We need to get a FAQ setup and stickied.

First I want to compile list of the questions and linked answer. I don't want this touch any "debatable" type questions (read, PF, services, whatever), just the ones with definate answers. This is just to keep the scope to things we can all agree on.

An example (and the reason this thread is being created) is "What is the difference between XP Pro and Home?" The answer is almost always this link, or a similar list from another site.

So please submit the Frequently Asked Question and the linked answer, or any other information you feel should be in the FAQ. Thanks! :)

SP2 is final and safe to install on 99.9999% of machines.

You CANNOT use an XP OEM license key in a retail or VLK XP install. Each type of disc needs to use the same type of license.

When your computer is running slow, acting funny, IE is goofing up, popup windows appear from nowhere, or generally anything WIERD going on that seems to be annoying, the FIRST step should always be to use the programs in my signature.

AVG - Free Virus Scanner
Spybot Search and Destroy for Free Spyware Removal
Ad-Aware SE for Free Spyware Removal

(I left out MS Spyware because it will expire soon. )

Before scanning for Spyware or Viruses, Always do an update of virus and spyware definition files.

I'd be glad to do a more detailed writeup if you like Phoenix.

If you have the XP Upgrade CD, you do NOT have to install a previous version of Windows. You WILL need to have the install CD (Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98) handy, during the XP install however, and it will prompt you to insert the older CD for verification.

How to ask for help

When asking for help, you need to give us some pieces of information to help us better assist you.

1. What version of windows (or other OS) are you running.
2. What kind of hardware is in your machine, don't have to go crazy with the listing, but a general idea.
3. Specific error messages you get, or anything shown in the event viewer (which is found in Administrative Tools in the control panel).
4. Any recent changes that come to mind, that may have caused this problem.
5. Are you overclocking?
6. Specific versions and names of software that cause the problems.
7. What you've done to try and resolve it yourself. (We don't want to tell you to do something you have already done).

Finally, don't forget to be polite. Remember that a lot of these people here just answer questions, FREE of charge, and spend a good amount of time trying to help you with your problem. :) :D

djnes said:
SP2 is final and safe to install on 99.9999% of machines.

Do a spyware/ad-aware search before installing SP2. If you have some junk on your machine, installing SP2 may make that junk more apparent.

Hyperthreading is NOT the same thing as SMP.

XP Home and XP Pro both support HT. XP Home does NOT support SMP.

Direwolf20 said:
Do a spyware/ad-aware search before installing SP2. If you have some junk on your machine, installing SP2 may make that junk more apparent.
I planned on covering that. As "proof" that SP2 is kosher, SP2 works on most all clean installs, showing it was something in the load that causes most issues.

Keep 'em coming. :)

Also, I guess this isn't to replace current stickies, just the simple Qs that come up a lot. Spyware for example kinda deserves it's own topic because of the complexity.

Can I use a key from (this-sp-version) with a disc with (this-other-sp-version) -- That is, I bought XP with SP1. If I try to install on a new disc with SP2 (OEM, etc, matching), will my first key work?

Note: I don't know. It's come up a few times recently.

lomn75 said:
Can I use a key from (this-sp-version) with a disc with (this-other-sp-version) -- That is, I bought XP with SP1. If I try to install on a new disc with SP2 (OEM, etc, matching), will my first key work?

Note: I don't know. It's come up a few times recently.
Well figure it out and let us know. I can't do all the leg work, that's why I want links. :p

I know it works with VLA keys on XPGold, XPSP1, and XPSP2 slipstreamed disks.

One of the reason regular AIM sucks is due to the fact that it uses a HUGE load of system resources for it self, install spyware of all types with out you knowing it, has a bunch of extra junk all of it that is just annoying - like banners and etc. So here are some free and not free alternatives to the regular AIM client.

1. Trillian - supports AIM,MSN,ICQ,IRC,Yahoo. there are two version of it Pro and home.
2. GAIM - original written for Linux it has become a favorite of windows users as well. Supports transperancy and tabbed IM windows.
3. Middleman - Never used it myself, but its just a plug in for AIM so it will still use the same amount of resources as regular AIM, it will just mod it in some way.
4. AIMutation - allows the program to be skinned completely,supports transperancy,loging of your IMs,tabbed IMing. One of my favs.
5. DEADAIM - the one I currently use and have been using for the past 4 years. It simple and clean. Kills all AIM banners, supports transperancy,logging,tabbed IMs. Its just a add-on for aim thou. Jdennis has sold deadaim to AOL so, most likely AOL will be makeing the next version.

This is a great idea guys and thanks for stepping up with it. Let me apologize for not organizing something before, Bob and I have tried working on an inclusive FAQ before, but other duties derail us. Ideally, what I would like to see is an organized FAQ, broken into sections. I would say the FAQ only comprised of links to other threads in the forum, but the problem with that is that down the road when there is a forum pruning those threads can disappear, so one thread with all the info in it would be cool.

If you guys can put it together, I will sticky, help organize it, lock it up so no one can post in it and it can be referenced by post at later times. I have an idea of how to organize it, so you guys gather things up and I will do what I can.

There are tons of apps. that mimic MACs, they can be used to simply change the color style of your windows box or to completly transform your M$ OS into something radical. Here are some of the program that I have used and still am.

1. Objectdock is simple to setup and runs great, if you buy the plus version it can expand the folders while they are still closed. Supports transperancy and auto hide.
2. Yz Dock - currently being sued by MAC since the creator stole some of the MAC code to use in his bar, it is still possible to find a version of this app. around on the web. Docklets can still be found here
3. Konfabulator - not really a dock app. but still does similar functions of docks. Displays weather and all kinds of other cool stuff on your monitor within little objects. There is a trial and afterwards it displays a message until you buy the full version.
4. Samurize - A little hard to setup but is one of the BEST system monitoring, adding extra features programs out there.
5. Sysmetrix - displays lots of useful data such as CPU temp, HDD space, if you have new email within a bar located where ever you please on your scree. Takes a bit of system resources but gets the task done.
6. Style XP - a long time favorite can change your desktop theme to a wide vareity of themes available on the net. Runs using almost no system resources what so ever.
7. Cursor XP - Changes your system cursor to alot of cool pointers, rangeing from human fingers to swords and almost anything you can think of.

Other necesities:

DockEx is great little site where they have a few dock programs available and their add-ones (docklets)
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
Motherboard monitor - is usually mendatory for alot of the apps listed above to read your computers CPU temp,RPM, etc.
fooods icons - really nicely done icons by a great icon artist. Icons are available for everything rangeing from system icons to game icons.
Winrar - alot of the programs listed above have zipped or rared up archives. This program is compatible with every type of archiving program out there and most of all its FREE.
Deviantart - contains one of the largest compilations of computer related wallpapers, icon, etc.
Tweak UI - can do some basic "moding" to your windows, like hide icons from the desktop,edit your auto-run functions and etc. requires framework 1.1 to run.
Wincustomize - has alot of docklets, wallpapers and other resources to mod your system.

odoe said:
This is a great idea guys and thanks for stepping up with it. Let me apologize for not organizing something before, Bob and I have tried working on an inclusive FAQ before, but other duties derail us. Ideally, what I would like to see is an organized FAQ, broken into sections. I would say the FAQ only comprised of links to other threads in the forum, but the problem with that is that down the road when there is a forum pruning those threads can disappear, so one thread with all the info in it would be cool.

If you guys can put it together, I will sticky, help organize it, lock it up so no one can post in it and it can be referenced by post at later times. I have an idea of how to organize it, so you guys gather things up and I will do what I can.
:cool:

Then we will try to get the list of Qs and As and let you sift/format it. Ice Czar has it setup like that (issues linked to a thread) in the data storage FAQ. It looks nice. Thanks.

so should i keep writing my faqs like that or post threads in the correct section and then link to here? Iam confused :confused:

That's a nice way of doing it, but my fear is that those threads with no activcity will eventually get deleted.

Post you FAQ stuff in here.
Ideallly in this type of format.

Why does Windows hate me?

Because you dual-boot linux.

That kind of thing.
I'm going to post all the questions in the first post of the sticky and answers in individual posts. Then the first post will link to each seperate posts. This way, it all stays in one thread, but is still organized similar to the FAQ you linked.

Disabling the messenger service has absolutely nothing to do with MSN Messenger and/or Windows Messenger.

I think there should be a poll stickied in the software forums with the title "Which is the best antivirus?"
Seems like I see that question being asked every week.
If the poll was created and stickied, folks could vote and see for themselves what the most popular AV is and hopefully we wouldn't see the question asked every week. Actually I'm betting someone will still ask. :confused:

How can I make my system boot faster.
How can I make my system shutdown faster.
Does server 2k3 run faster then XP
I can't install XP with my SATA drives

More to come when I think of them and links when I have time to search

This script is designed to run on shutdown, it deletes the temp folder and history. shaved 2.5 seconds on my boot time.

Create a batch file by doing the following:

1) Open notepad and enter the following lines:

RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName without quotes"\Local Settings\History"
RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History"
RD /S /q "D:\Temp\" <--"Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder"

2) Save the fily and then rename is something like deltemp.bat

3) Now click Start, Run and type in gpedit.msc --->Computer Configuration --->Windows Settings --->Scripts and double click on Shutdown --->Click Add and find the batch file you created and press ok to set the script

I saved this into a txt file on my PC without the link on where i got this from. If i remember the site, ill make sure to include it

Windows XP Home is no better or worse than XP Professional for gaming. You only need Professional if you need advanced networking or other business related functionality.

you will need a floopy disk from your mobo manufacturer or from your SATA card controller. Once you have that, start up the setup and wait until it says on the bottom of the screen press F6 for SCSI drivers, press F6 and follow the on screen directions.

Bump.

Keep them coming. I'll compile a list of sorts when we get some more stuff going.

Back