Fans to replace H80i Stock

t1337Dude

Limp Gawd
I acknowledge I made this thread some time ago but I never pulled the trigger on anything and of course things change with time, so I'm giving it another go.

I'm looking to upgrade the fans on my H80i. Anything over 900-RPM on these fans creates a discernible noise, and anything over 1300 RPM sounds like a hair-blower, getting much louder than my GTX 980 ever does. What I'm looking for is simply the fans that can move the most air for the least amount of noise. And I'm looking to buy sooner than later :)

This is what I came to find to be the most recommended when I looked 6 months ago. Does anyone recommend anything else instead?

Should I not be expecting any miracles? Should I just wait a few weeks, save my money, and get this instead? I'm serious - if that lets me get better temps with less RPM's I might order that. Would it fit in a The Corsair 450D?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
get sp120's youll be set. if your on a gen 2 1150 haswell, you might want to consider just delidding.

Delidding? Not sure what that means. I have an i7 920 on a GA-X58A-UD3R. I'm not really looking to overclock it any further, as much as future-proof my case and cooling for when I take the plunge for X99, likely in a year when the prices have dropped a bit. Though, I definitely want to get better temperatures with less noise. You really think those SP120's are better than the Noctua's in terms of performance per DB?

I have a Corsair 540D on the way, so I have room for bigger and better radiators, and I'm not afraid to spend some coin for the best performance per DB...per $ :p

EDIT: As I'm reading more reviews for the Thermaltake 3.0 Ultimate, there seems to be consensus that it's the way to go for what I'm looking for. Honestly, getting off this utter crap Corsairlink software would be great all in its own right.

Last edited:
The Corsair H110 is a 140mm x 280mm radiator using either 2 or 4 140mm fans. I have installed over a dozen of these with quite a few now being close to 2 years old with not a single problem. The Thermaltake uses 3 or 6 120mm fans. I do not use Corsair Link with the H110, but connect the pump directly to the PSU and use the CPU and CPU Aux fan ports on the Asus mobo to set up and control the fans. The 1 set up using 4 fans (push/pull) I used 4 pin Y-splitters to hook up 2 fans to each fan header.
The 540 case would allow you to mount the Thermaltake 360mm radiator but it would have to be mounted in the front of the case. The largest top mount radiator is a 280mm. I feel that the best position for mounting the radiator that would also give the best airflow through the case is a top mount exhaust!

The Corsair H110 is a 140mm x 280mm radiator using either 2 or 4 140mm fans. I have installed over a dozen of these with quite a few now being close to 2 years old with not a single problem. The Thermaltake uses 3 or 6 120mm fans. I do not use Corsair Link with the H110, but connect the pump directly to the PSU and use the CPU and CPU Aux fan ports on the Asus mobo to set up and control the fans. The 1 set up using 4 fans (push/pull) I used 4 pin Y-splitters to hook up 2 fans to each fan header.
The 540 case would allow you to mount the Thermaltake 360mm radiator but it would have to be mounted in the front of the case. The largest top mount radiator is a 280mm. I feel that the best position for mounting the radiator that would also give the best airflow through the case is a top mount exhaust!

The [h] review says you can only fit 2 140mm fronts in front, but you can fit 3x120mm fans on top, so I think you may be incorrect there. (Actually, my mistake, I said the 540D instead of the 450D so I was referring to a different case).

EDIT: Either way, I'm looking at the Swiftech H-220X now and it's only 240mm. Seems to be the way to go. My Corsair H80i isn't able to cool my i7 930 @ 4.0 Ghz anymore without getting noisy, even if I dust the radiator out. Simply gets too hot. 10-degrees C lower (which should be attainable with the new setup) would give me plenty of breathing room and future-proof me as well.

Last edited:
CoolerMaster's JetFlo 120's are pretty nice, but they can get loud above 1500 rpm or so (mostly wind noise). At 2200 rpm they sound like hurricanes, but they'll cool the hell out of your case. lol

I have two in the front of my case, and at 16-1800 RPM they push enough air to actually offset the temperature of my CPU after it hits 70C+ and the liquid in the H80i I have in pull config on the back of my case is heat-saturated. Of course, that fan is set to be silent, so it's not doing much on its own anyway.

May just be me, but they seem to be noisier if you control them with voltage (3pin) rather than PWM, Just fyi.

I have these; they are decently quiet and work well with high static pressures. Noctuas are just too expensive for me.

CoolerMaster's JetFlo 120's are pretty nice, but they can get loud above 1500 rpm or so (mostly wind noise). At 2200 rpm they sound like hurricanes, but they'll cool the hell out of your case. lol

I have two in the front of my case, and at 16-1800 RPM they push enough air to actually offset the temperature of my CPU after it hits 70C+ and the liquid in the H80i I have in pull config on the back of my case is heat-saturated. Of course, that fan is set to be silent, so it's not doing much on its own anyway.

May just be me, but they seem to be noisier if you control them with voltage (3pin) rather than PWM, Just fyi.

Their blades don't look like they'd be optimized for use on radiators though...are they? Usually fans designed for radiator use have large blades to deal with the higher static pressure.

Didn't OP ask for fans for his H80i? He needs high static pressure fans, not case fans.

I've read reviews that say they work well even with a filter in front of them on a radiator, but I haven't tried it myself.

Nothing beats the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 for noise/perf ratio. The only problem is they're hard to find since they've been discontinued, but Amazon still has some residual stock.

Here's the review I was thinking of, if you're interested...took a while to find. Unfortunately, doesn't include noise levels, but there are other reviews for that, and noise-optimized fans like the Gentle Typhoon are most likely the better bet if you're going for quiet. Edit: here's another review.

But the jetflo's do work pretty well at low RPM, where they aren't especially loud.

Last edited:
It is not just db that matters. Gentle typhoons has this annoying buzz sound that makes it terrible for me.

Fan tech moves slow, the nf-f12 is still top end - and expensive. For really quiet, you might give a top end air heatsink some thought. The best is the nh-d15. It's huge tho.

Well, in case you guys missed it, I bought the H-240X, so I'm selling my H80i to someone on Craigslist.

Back