Fans to go with an H100 push/pull?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to setup an H100 push/pull in an NZXT Switch 810 case. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good fans that they feel would work well paired with the H100 fans for push/pull?

According to Corsair's website, the fans that the unit comes with are 120mm 46-92CFM & 1300-2600RPM.

I'm guessing that I should be looking for fans that match the CFM & RPM of the fans pre-installed on the H100 for them to pair up best (So that the fans are pulling and pushing the same amount of air at roughly the same RPM?).

The NZXT Switch 810 comes with 140mm NZXT fans. There are spots to mount 2 of them at the top of the case...should I just use those? Or am I better off getting a set of fans that would work better with the H100? Should I stick with 120mm's?

Thanks!

The H100 uses 120mm fans. You could try building an adapter box thing for use with 140mm fans, but that might get a little tricky geometrically since there are two fans to consider.

With a radiator, you'll also want to consider higher static pressure fans vs. raw CFM. Corsair actually has a new line of fans in both sizes, with neato little colored rings, that may be worth looking into. (I'm going to get myself a set here soon, and paint the rings olive drab).

Does the case have holes for 120mm fans too?

There are 140mm to 120mm adapters

It's usually best to have the same fans on a radiator though for static pressure and identical RPM reasons, if they are different they can impede eachother.

120-140 works on 140mm radiators, but not on 120mm radiators due to size/spacing issues.

If you can afford it, I would simply replace the Corsair fans with Gentle Typhoons. AP-15 Gentle Typhoons in push/pull should increase the performance of the H100 while simultaneously lowering noise.

120-140 works on 140mm radiators, but not on 120mm radiators due to size/spacing issues.

For whatever reason that didn't cross my mind when it should have.

I'm always supporting bgears b-blasters as good 120mm and 140mm solutions, for $10 a fan, they perform very well with high static pressure and cfm with a comfortable amount of noise.

Ofcourse the GT-15's are generally the unanimous winners in all things 120mm, but pricey.

If you can afford it, I would simply replace the Corsair fans with Gentle Typhoons. AP-15 Gentle Typhoons in push/pull should increase the performance of the H100 while simultaneously lowering noise.

Is there a review somewhere showing this? I just thought it lowered noise, not increased performance.
Actually, I thought you got slightly less performance but much lower noise (shrugs).

At the high 2600 RPM the Corsair fans run at, there's no way the Gentle Typhoons can beat the Corsair fans, since they only turn at 1850 RPM. However, if both fans are running at the same speed, the Gentle Typhoons will perform better and produce less noise.

At the high 2600 RPM the Corsair fans run at, there's no way the Gentle Typhoons can beat the Corsair fans, since they only turn at 1850 RPM. However, if both fans are running at the same speed, the Gentle Typhoons will perform better and produce less noise.

Okay, that makes sense. I only asked for confirmation on it since I have the H100 and four spare GT's but I never installed them because I run the Corsair fans full throttle (which I assumed were better). My room must be noisy with other stuff (AC, air purifier, TV, use to fan noise with my Antec 1200 case, etc) because honestly it doesn't bother at all.

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

I just went ahead and picked up an extra one of the Corsair H100 extra fan kits so I'll end up with the same fans in push and pull.

In the future, I might go back and give those Gentle Typhoons a shot just to see how it turns out.

I was doing some research yesterday along these lines. I came across a page put up by a member at OverClockers.net that tested a Corsair H100 in multiple configurations: push w/ 2 fans, pull w/ 2 fans, push/pull w/ 4 fans, push/pull w/ 4 fans and shrouds and lastly push/pull w/ 4 fans and shrouds using the stock fans to push and gentle typhoons to pull. The last config netted the best results.

The fans that come with the H100 are designed for high pressure, between fin pitch and rpm, the gentle Typhoons are slower, high volume fans. For some reason (some one smarter than me will have to explain it) with the stock fans pushing and the Skythe's pulling, the H100 dropped an addition degree, occasionally two, Celsius. Nothing earth shaking, but worth noting. I cannot seem to find the link now (naturally), but I'll keep digging. On the average, going to a push/pull config made the most difference (8-10ºC drop), with the shrouds and differing fan configs adding incremental drops from there (2-4ºC further drop).

Btw, the test was performed on a 3930 @ 4.8 in a full-sized case with 3 other fans. He tried the radiator setup as exhaust and intake with no difference between the two.

EDIT: This is not the link I read, but enlightening nonetheless.

Last edited:
I was doing some research yesterday along these lines. I came across a page put up by a member at OverClockers.net that tested a Corsair H100 in multiple configurations: push w/ 2 fans, pull w/ 2 fans, push/pull w/ 4 fans, push/pull w/ 4 fans and shrouds and lastly push/pull w/ 4 fans and shrouds using the stock fans to push and gentle typhoons to pull. The last config netted the best results.

The fans that come with the H100 are designed for high pressure, between fin pitch and rpm, the gentle Typhoons are slower, high volume fans. For some reason (some one smarter than me will have to explain it) with the stock fans pushing and the Skythe's pulling, the H100 dropped an addition degree, occasionally two, Celsius. Nothing earth shaking, but worth noting. I cannot seem to find the link now (naturally), but I'll keep digging. On the average, going to a push/pull config made the most difference (8-10ºC drop), with the shrouds and differing fan configs adding incremental drops from there (2-4ºC further drop).

Btw, the test was performed on a 3930 @ 4.8 in a full-sized case with 3 other fans. He tried the radiator setup as exhaust and intake with no difference between the two.

This one:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1164638/...-fans-with-ap15s-push-pull-and-vs-custom-loop

I wish he had done tests with the corsair unit at low, medium, high. I wonder if ap-15's @ medium = stock fans @ high?

I'm thinking of H100 + 4 gentle typhoons (best place to buy?) and use the 2 corsairs that come with it as new case fans? They're pcm right? so you can even plug them into mobo fan headers.

Gentle Typhoons are better than any Corsair fan, I can guarantee you that.

Gentle Typhoons have a unique shape for high static pressure. Their static pressure is higher than any other 120x25mm fan on the market, and their dual-ball bearing design is quieter than most fans at the same RPM. I don't think even the Noctuas can match up to the Gentle Typhoons in static pressure at a given RPM.

Due to the Gentle Typhoons gearing towards high static pressure, overall maximum volume of air moved is naturally lower. However, the volume of air moved drops much less with more restriction compared to other fans.

Because they can move more air at the same RPM compared to other fans through radiators, they naturally produce better temps and lower noise levels.

Back