fans in or out...

dod_gamer

Bad Trader
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
230
I have a case and have multiple case fans on it, ambient temp is currently 34c and cpu is 43c, ok, so here is the setup, starting with the front. On the from I have one 120mm blue led fan, blowing in, this is controlled by my Nexus fanbus. Next I have a side panel fan, blowing in as well, this is controlled by mobo. Next I have 2 back fans, both blowing inward as well, one controlled by mobo, the other controlled by fanbus, and then I have a top fan, blowing out of course, and a psu with a fan blowing out, should I have the setup a different way on this to get a better cooling quality out of this?
 

RS3RS

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 10, 2003
Messages
8,198
Originally posted by BadAssSaturn
What he said about what the other guy said, about what the other guy said
What he said about what the other guy said about what that one guy said about what the first guy said.
 

dod_gamer

Bad Trader
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
230
So, which guy do I really listen to, anyways, thanks fellas, I was told u guys are nice, and with a sense of humor, thanks alot, looks like I will be using [H]more often.
 

Spewn

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 5, 2001
Messages
3,459
If you want to try to keep your system dust free, try to have more *intake* fans than exhaust fans, and have the intake fans be filtered. This will(assuming your fans were all of equal flow, or at least, that you have more intake flow than exhaust flow) keep your system at positive pressure, forcing air out rather than in, allowing you to filter the air of dust.
 

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
7,889
Originally posted by Spewn
If you want to try to keep your system dust free, try to have more *intake* fans than exhaust fans, and have the intake fans be filtered. This will(assuming your fans were all of equal flow, or at least, that you have more intake flow than exhaust flow) keep your system at positive pressure, forcing air out rather than in, allowing you to filter the air of dust.
Yep, what he said. That way ALL air entering the case will have been filtered.

Also, another issue is creating a dead air space inside the PSU. This happens when you have more exhaust fans than intake fans and the PSU fan can't pull air thru the PSU. Which in turns creates increased residual heat inside the PSU, which in turn, if equiped, makes the smart fan fun faster, which in turn, creates more noise. You get the point, I'm sure. Just make sure that you don't over do it with exhaust fans to the point that the PSU fan can't do it's job.
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
684
Originally posted by dod_gamer
So, which guy do I really listen to, anyways, thanks fellas, I was told u guys are nice, and with a sense of humor, thanks alot, looks like I will be using [H]more often.

Damnit, now look what you guys did.

Er, welcome. :D
 

__Maad__

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2003
Messages
182
Originally posted by Met-AL
Yep, what he said. That way ALL air entering the case will have been filtered.

Also, another issue is creating a dead air space inside the PSU. This happens when you have more exhaust fans than intake fans and the PSU fan can't pull air thru the PSU. Which in turns creates increased residual heat inside the PSU, which in turn, if equiped, makes the smart fan fun faster, which in turn, creates more noise. You get the point, I'm sure. Just make sure that you don't over do it with exhaust fans to the point that the PSU fan can't do it's job.

It's issues like these that make me wonder about some of the crappier/bargain cases I've seen around having all these "pressure leaks" (as I would call them) posing as ventilation holes.. On the one hand if someone set up a dead air situation like the one you describe above, it sounds to me like the PSU fan would be able to start pulling air if there were extra vents around the various parts of the case.. On the other hand, with a case that has a bunch of holes and vents how can you possibly create a well-tuned and carefully equalized wind-tunnel situation? Anyway.. Enough babbling from me .. Someone should post an article or something that discusses airflow issues like these in detail. :D
 

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
7,889
Try to get equal in and out. It's hard to do, but if it's close you will be just fine. Like __Maad__ stated above, with all the vent holes in the cases nowdays, you really don't need to worry about dead air space in the PSU, unless you go way overboard with your out fans.
 
Top