Fans, fans, and more fans

Jarod888

2[H]4U
I am in the processes of putting together my new system. I won't be using a watercooling setup, so I will need some fans. Noise isn't a real factor, as long as it I can't hear it in another room. I currently have a Thermaltake Armour with 4 AeroCool XtremeTurbine-Black 120mm Case Fans (89.39 CFM @ 32.46 dBA) and a Zalman 9500. The noise level does not bother me, but my computer seems to be a little warm cpu around 43 degrees C Internal temp of the air in my case 36 degrees C.
I may end up adding a ceiling fan in my office to help dissipate heat.

My new case is a TJ07. I want to use 2 of these fans for the top exaust :
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12gf.html

2 of these for the hard drive bays: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12ff1.html

2 of these 92 mm ones for the back intake: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92tfexhisp.html

and possibly 2 of these 80mm ones at the bottom next to the powersupply for additional intakes:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de80tfexhisp.html

this probably seems excessive, but I want my computer to run cool, without the hassel of watercooling. I will be running an FX 60 on a DFI expert with 2 640MB 8800 gts's

My questions are, how loud will all these fans running at the same time be, and does the addition of each fan double the noise output?
Are there any potential problems running this many fans? I want some serious air flow, greater than 100 cfm, so if anyone can recommend better fans I would appriciate it. Thanks

EDIT
I just listened to the xvid clip of the fan and it scared my cat. She was sleeping on my arm when I hit the play button. I am thinking that 2 of those plus all the others might be a little loud. I may have to revise my building. Maybe I could step down to the ones I was thinking about using on the hard drive bays.

that rig would sound like a jet taking off :eek: the dB ratings are crazy. Why not go with some yate loons? quiet yet pretty good airflow. I have 4 in my rig and am quite pleased.

Lotta fans :D

Strategy I use is to use med or high speed fans and put them on Zalman Fanmate2 controllers (cheap and can be put about anywhere and turn the fans down to the best airflow vs noise setting). Somewhere I have seen a 3 pin Y that would let you put each of your 'Pairs" of fans on one fanmate. This is based on the old you can turn a fast one down but you cant turn a slow one up philosophy.

does the addition of each fan double the noise output

according to my physics book, (I never go anywhere without it :eek: ) the sound intensity would have to increase by a factor of 10 to sound twice as loud. Which I take to mean if you had a certain fan and it was perceived as being x loud, you would need 9 more running at the same speed (we have to eliminate things like different RPM and wave phase either adding or multiplying the apparent amplitude, ad nausem) to sound twice as loud. The book gives an example of a chicken farmer that increases his flock from 500 chickens (which make noise at a level of x) to 2000 chickens and asks how much more loud the sound would be and the answer given is 6dB with the explanation that the intensity of the sound increased by a factor of 4 as did the intensity of the sound coming from the chickens. However the sound would seem less than 2 twice as loud as the intensity would have to increase by a factor of 10 (10db) to seem twice as loud.

This of course begs the question:
Just how many chickens will fit in a BTX computer case ? :rolleyes:

My $.02. You're talking about the "hassle" of watercooling, but want to buy $180-220 (not inc shipping/possible tax) of some screaming fans? You can find a FAR better performing water setup for that price range, that will be FAR quieter as well. I don't really see the hassle in watercooling either..There's alot more initial setup in routing tubing and whatnot, but as long as you do it right (take your time, you know measure twice, cut once and all that) you'll be fine. Should be no issues with leaking as long as you select quality components and don't rush it. Maintenance is nil, save for topping up the res every so often (not really needed I just like keeping above 3/4), and of course cleaning out the rad of dust; now more like cleaning out the bay grills (alot quicker).

The noise level of your AC fans may not bother you (save the 200+ cfm ones) , but these fans you've picked out are ENTIRELY different beasts. Even the 150cfm will be very loud. I had my old setup on a pcToys branded Vantec Tornado (which itself was a rebranded Sunon iirc) 92mm..Loud as shit @ 12v, and I kept it @ 7v most of the time (S462 o/c'd/volted 1700+ tho). I didn't mind the noise so much, not because it was quiet (far from it even @ 7v), but I know my little TBred couldn't handle a low speed fan. Once I made the switch to watercooling (w/ my Opteron 165 rig) about 15 months ago now, I would NEVER go back to any amount of high rpm screamers. Hell, the ~75cfm Deltas are plenty loud @ 12v [though whisper quiet to a 12v Tornado), so I keep them @ 7v 90% of the time..And my w/c loop keeps the system plenty cool - although even @ 12v the dual Delta's (swiftech kit), and now other stock fans in my recent TT Armor purchase SEEM quieter than that single 92mm [major source of noise] in my old case + various 80mm's.. A big consideration for me since my PC is about 10ft from my head @ night..

Why not use your current Armor, stick a 2x120 rad in front? If you need all the HD bays you could mount the mount as push in front, put some brackets on back (ala TTs LCS Armor) and upgrade from the stock 6 to 12 or 13 HD bays. And being a fellow cat owner, you probably can appreciate the last 2 pics: the Armor bay filters catch plenty of moggy hair (and dust due to lots of apartment building on my block). I love it, don't have to clean out the interior of my case anywhere near as often as my old Chieftec Dragon.

pics:

Never mind the fingerprints all over, rigged rad mount, etc; I was in a bit of a hurry to get my PC transferred into my new case (like 2 months ago now, procrastination ftw!), will re-do properly once I figure what I want to do to make it a bit cleaner. Works fine anyway, temps are in check, and I can still feel plenty of air getting sucked through the vents. #3/4 Sure give the filters a workout :).

[edit] Is it just me or does it almost look like pic4 is bleeding into pic3? Coincidence..It's the corner of my printer in 3.

I was like you with my last rig, I bought 1, just 1 of these 120x35mm delta fans and it was ok for awhile, but even being on a fan controller still started to irritate me. I also had 4 80cfm TT fans that were loud and a tornado, also all on fan controllers and still loud as anything. This time I dont have a fan thats over 35dba and theyre all still on a fan controller, and my temps arent that much different than with a screamer fan. I personally dont think the noise level was acceptable for the meager difference in temps, if any.

If you don't mind noise rock out with your fan out. I don't mind noise because I were the head phones when I play so I have a 4 80mm fans blowing in the front 1 120mm blowing in from the top 1 120 blowing out the back and 3 80mm blowing out the side for a 9 fan setup. That way I can run stock CPU fan and over clock it, and over clock my video cards and still run Half Life2 with cpu temps at 40 and gpu temps at 46.

My fans weren't expensive fans though I was on a budget.

FYI, 2 fan's of equal noise rating will give you a noise level equal to 1 of those fans + 3dba.

Running 2 of those deltas for top exhaust will net you 62dba.

Running 2 of the 92mm fans... will net you about 65dba. Your total noise now is about 66dba (62 + 3(65/62))

For the hard drive bays, you're looking at about 59dba. Your total noise now is (66 + 3(59/66)) = 68.7

If you wanted 2 of those side fans, you'd be looking at about 70dba. Or about the level of noise in a <30k$ can going down the highway.

This is a very very simple estimation. Actual calculations of dba summaries requies lots of logarithmic math, which I'm not going to get into. The ACTUAL sound level will be about 70dba +- 5 or so.

Does everyone that likes computers have a cat btw?

Thanks for all the input, I will consider the option of water cooling. I will also see if I can borrow the decometer from work to measure the current sound level of my computer. I think I have eliminated the large 120mm X 76mm fans, because they just would look bad in my case. I will do some more research and see where that takes me.

Thanks for all the input, I will consider the option of water cooling. I will also see if I can borrow the decometer from work to measure the current sound level of my computer. I think I have eliminated the large 120mm X 76mm fans, because they just would look bad in my case. I will do some more research and see where that takes me.

meh, unless u plan to OC than some 120 yate loons blowing into your case and a 120 out of your case for exhaust should be just fine and quiet. I dont think u need water cooling or a decometer.

You have the zalman 9500, is 43c idle or load for you? Maybe think about reseating your hsf and put some new as5 on there. And remember, room temps effect the ambient temp as well. Honestly I think you should be fine with a few more decent fans mounted. If you wanna OC than throw together a moderate wc setup ;)

Tell you what, get all those fans and mount them on the bottom of the case blowing down. Now wire them all for 12 volts and turn the computer on, not only will it sound like a jet taking off, but you'll have the worlds first hovercomputer.

Tell you what, get all those fans and mount them on the bottom of the case blowing down. Now wire them all for 12 volts and turn the computer on, not only will it sound like a jet taking off, but you'll have the worlds first hovercomputer.

That made me laugh out loud!! I'd have to figure out a way to keep it from floating off my desk.

I have a 8" Tiger Oscar in a 55 gal tank. I hate cats..

My experience with Oscars is that they like to eat cats... hate the taste of Cockroaches, and can foul of a tank pretty damn quickly. But they are hella awesome. By the way, my PC buddy isn't a cat, or a fish, its a 100 pound rotty. Big dog!

Anyway, my take on the fan deal is this... TOO LOUD! If you want to spend over 100+ dollars on fans, just get a WC setup for your processor and get some nice lowspeed yate loons for the airflow in the case.

Back