Fanless NAS

BOXY

n00b
I like my Synology Diskstation DS218+, but I want a fanless NAS that I can use with SSD NAS drives. Is there any good off-the-shelf solution?

Quite honestly, the 218+ is pretty quiet to start but if you want silence (and of course if your drives can deal with no airflow and higher than ambient temperatures) then just pull the fan connector and uncheck beep warning in the Hardware control panel so it doesn't bug you. If you want off-the-shelf/reliable/relatively $$$ efficient, and not QNAP's disasterous dealing with their ransomware situation I would stick with Synology.

Last edited:
Another option would be searching online for fan replacements/mods for the 218+. From a very quick search I've seen some mentions of replacing the fan with an Arctic F9 Silent or Noctua NF-A9 FLX and setting the NAS to quiet mode resulting in very low noise while staying cool

Noctua fan swap is always the way to go on these NASes, if you don't do it and decide to run that 218 fanless I would reorient it so that the heat can rise more freely at least.

What NAS duties do you hope to do? There's a big difference between high-use scenarios and a box idling all day until you watch a movie, and moreso a device for dumping files to every once in a while - heat soak over time

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I like my Synology Diskstation DS218+, but I want a fanless NAS that I can use with SSD NAS drives. Is there any good off-the-shelf solution?
Are you really sold on off the shelf because you don't want to build or are there specific Synology features you depend on?

Even if your ssds dont need active cooling, there is the chipset/cpu that will need bigger passive heatsink for a totally fanless NAS, that you can likely can custom build, but since you mention you like synology, i would suggest to investigate on the fan noise on the Synology 6 bay 2.5" NAS DS620slim (Diskless).

In case you trully want a fanless NAS then build it, depending on your storage needs, there are cases from Streacom and HDPLEX that might fit what you looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There is ZERO fan noise from my Synology. The issue is dust build up. It sucks in and builds up a tremendous amount of dust which requires periodic cleaning. I want a fanless solution.
My storage needs are minimal. I do zero media streaming from the NAS.

There is ZERO fan noise from my Synology. The issue is dust build up. It sucks in and builds up a tremendous amount of dust which requires periodic cleaning. I want a fanless solution.
consider a simple dust filter on the intake. Even if you have to externally mount it, it will work fine.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Ok, if you don't want to build your own, and if you are fine departing from the Synology DSM, take a look into QNAP HS-264-8G-US, its a 2bay fanless nas that has 2 sata ports. If you wish to see the interior check

Reactions: BOXY
like this
BOXY Unless you have a specific need for Synology features or have an aversion to building it yourself I would suggest DIY. I've been building my own NASs based on nas4free/freeNAS/TrueNAS for over a decade now. I've never lost data and once you learn the interface it's not hard to get things going. I went from only having CIFSs shares to now also using my TrueNAS for a few VMs like my Unify controller, PiHole, and Adgaurd.

My TrueNAS only draws 34w from the wall and has 2 NVMEs, 2 SATA SSD, and 4 HDDs and runs quiet. If you want a component breakdown I can gladly do that.

Ok, if you don't want to build your own, and if you are fine departing from the Synology DSM, take a look into QNAP HS-264-8G-US, its a 2bay fanless nas that has 2 sata ports. If you wish to see the interior check

Thanks very much for that video. I like this solution.

Back