Fandom has acquired GameSpot, Metacritic, GameFAQs, Giant Bomb, and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
The fan engagement platform Fandom has acquired a number of entertainment and gaming brands from Red Ventures in a deal valued at about $55 million

The acquired titles include TV Guide, Metacritic, GameSpot, Cord Cutters News, Comic Vine and Giant Bomb...Fandom, which is backed by private equity giant TPG, will add the acquired titles to its existing business lines, which include ScreenJunkies and the online video game retailer Fanatical...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...ritic-gamespot-acquisition-fandom-1235231819/

Last edited:
The fan engagement platform
giphy (2).gif

Metacritic was my go-to site about a decade ago... I used metacritic for the first time in a few years last weekend and I was baffled by the weird decisions that someone (management?) made with that website. Sure, Rottentomatoes beat them up and took their lunch money like 5 years ago, but it's as if they haven't even attempted to improve their site to compete. You still can't search by release date, only the vague "past 90 days" filter that still seems to show incorrect/even older content. Prominent links still exist to browse categories/content that barely been updated in ages.

I'm not sure this is necessarily a problem. RV wasn't exactly taking these publications to new heights. It depends on how (and if) Fandom asks these sites to change course.

Reminds me of that shitty company which buys up forums and monetizes them. What were they named again? Vertical Scope. Right.

I hate that shit.

To me a community ceases being a community when it is owned by a monetizing business entity.

The way these things should work is that someone who is into the subject runs their own server on their own time, not like a job.

About the particular sites in this story acquired by fandom? That's a huge meh. I don't think I've ever visited any of them. Probably never will.

Is that the same "fandom" company which bought/re-platformed all those game/franchise Wiki pages and turned them into ad-infested, bloated garbage?
The only good thing I can say about that dumpster fire of a company is that it eventually resulted in one game I play (Path of Exile) getting a developer hosted wiki.

Consolidation will continue until all restaurants are Taco Bell.

Demolition Man wasn't a movie, it was the future.
Everything has already been very consolidated for a very long time. The consolidation is rather just revealing itself. In other words, I don't believe this acquisition changes a single thing.

All these websites have always been different flavors of the exact same thing. They have to follow the same rules and interact with the same entities. They're part of an ecosystem, so to speak. They're required to perpetuate a certain "vibe", or culture, to exist in that ecosystem.

That's why you never see a successful site that completely exists outside of that ecosystem. The ecosystem exists to reward those who play ball. It's not too different than how YouTube influencers are vetted.

There are very few places on the internet that you're allowed to be truthful with your criticisms, and it's all by design. I'm not even to allowed to voice my criticisms here without Agent Smith & friends appearing out of the woodwork and removing me from this forum.

even though i know what those things are that title feels so nonsensical

About the particular sites in this story acquired by fandom? That's a huge meh. I don't think I've ever visited any of them. Probably never will.
Once upon a time, Giant Bomb was a pretty solid site with good personalities involved. They were never great for reviews but they were a good source for gameplay of new games and they had a really good podcast. Then as time went on a lot of people left and now none of the original staff is left. The current group seems alright but it’s also very different to a point where I don’t click with it like before.

There are very few places on the internet that you're allowed to be truthful with your criticisms, and it's all by design. I'm not even to allowed to voice my criticisms here without Agent Smith & friends appearing out of the woodwork and removing me from this forum.
So what exactly are you "not even allowed to voice" here that you seem to think it is a problem? Feel free to PM me to discuss.

So what exactly are you "not even allowed to voice" here that you seem to think it is a problem? Feel free to PM me to discuss.
The big elephant in the room is the anti-white culture perpetuated from within the videogame industry as well as its journalism. It's an openly promoted agenda, but if you were to actually discuss the details of the "who" and the "why", you would be instantly banned from any of these "Fandom" sites. With that in mind, what's happening is tantamount to an industry (and society) that is being heavily regulated to protect itself from critique under the guise of "political correctness" or "hate speech", or whatever other arbritrary set of rules to remove people who like to discuss these things. Someone who is against what is happening and unable to voice their opinion might see this as social conditioning as well a social engineering - or to put it simpler, "gaslighting".

There are very popular YouTubers who have been banned but release content that goes very deep into what I'm discussing - but you would never be allowed to share that kind of stuff on those types of sites. But hey, since you seem to pride yourself on the amount of free speech allowed here - I'll take my shot. An example of who I'm dicussing is American Krogan.

American Krogan does deep dives into agenda behind the writing of modern games. He has hours of hours of content into the meaning of Bioshock and how the main theme of the game is pro-Jewish yet anti-White. We're talking six hours of excellent content which accurately depicts how videogames and the narratives pushed in them are used to socially engineer our society. He's just one example of many people that are silenced yet makes an amazing effort at proving their point in the process. I would absolutely love to share this type of content when it suits me - which would basically be during any discussion of Western media because Western media has a rather ferocious top-down system of control. It's why Kanye get rewarded billions to promote what's considered "cultural degeneracy" yet he gets censored and the world lights on fire when he names who's responsible.

His recent video on CoD: Vanguard shows how the writers for the game put historical revisionism in the game to promote their own political agenda. You could simply just never talk about this stuff on any of the sites before or after this acquisition, because like I said, all these journalism countries are funded and born out of the same financial ecosystem. Truthfully, this site isn't funded by that system, so perhaps that would give me enough leeway to speak my mind as long as I'm not going out of my way to offend people or hurt feelings. Then again, allowing users to discuss this on your site will inevitably lead to nothing but trouble for the people hosting this site - like I said, Agent Smith could appear at any moment to remove this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axman
like this
I'm not even to allowed to voice my criticisms here without Agent Smith & friends appearing out of the woodwork and removing me from this forum.
OK....you did not answer my question.
So what exactly are you "not even allowed to voice" here (HardForum) that you seem to think it is a problem? Feel free to PM me to discuss.

The big elephant in the room is the anti-white culture perpetuated from within the videogame industry as well as its journalism. It's an openly promoted agenda, but if you were to actually discuss the details of the "who" and the "why", you would be instantly banned from any of these "Fandom" sites. With that in mind, what's happening is tantamount to an industry (and society) that is being heavily regulated to protect itself from critique under the guise of "political correctness" or "hate speech", or whatever other arbritrary set of rules to remove people who like to discuss these things. Someone who is against what is happening and unable to voice their opinion might see this as social conditioning as well a social engineering - or to put it simpler, "gaslighting".

There are very popular YouTubers who have been banned but release content that goes very deep into what I'm discussing - but you would never be allowed to share that kind of stuff on those types of sites. But hey, since you seem to pride yourself on the amount of free speech allowed here - I'll take my shot. An example of who I'm dicussing is American Krogan.

American Krogan does deep dives into agenda behind the writing of modern games. He has hours of hours of content into the meaning of Bioshock and how the main theme of the game is pro-Jewish yet anti-White. We're talking six hours of excellent content which accurately depicts how videogames and the narratives pushed in them are used to socially engineer our society. He's just one example of many people that are silenced yet makes an amazing effort at proving their point in the process. I would absolutely love to share this type of content when it suits me - which would basically be during any discussion of Western media because Western media has a rather ferocious top-down system of control. It's why Kanye get rewarded billions to promote what's considered "cultural degeneracy" yet he gets censored and the world lights on fire when he names who's responsible.

His recent video on CoD: Vanguard shows how the writers for the game put historical revisionism in the game to promote their own political agenda. You could simply just never talk about this stuff on any of the sites before or after this acquisition, because like I said, all these journalism countries are funded and born out of the same financial ecosystem. Truthfully, this site isn't funded by that system, so perhaps that would give me enough leeway to speak my mind as long as I'm not going out of my way to offend people or hurt feelings. Then again, allowing users to discuss this on your site will inevitably lead to nothing but trouble for the people hosting this site - like I said, Agent Smith could appear at any moment to remove this post.

Cool story dude.

Can we focus on how the acquisition might affect the quality of the content and the ability to serve fans, rather than conspiracy theories? That'd be great, thanks.

I'll be happy so long as the sites at least stay reasonably on course. Any expansions or deeper journalism would just be a bonus.

I see metacritic mentioned often but cant honestly say ive heard the names gamespot and gamefaqs since my dreamcast playing days. Probably because i live under a rock, but its cozy there.

edit:

yup its been a while for them

New GameFAQs Content
Guides | Reviews | Cheats

Fable III
X360 PC

Metacritic was my go-to site about a decade ago... I used metacritic for the first time in a few years last weekend and I was baffled by the weird decisions that someone (management?) made with that website. Sure, Rottentomatoes beat them up and took their lunch money like 5 years ago, but it's as if they haven't even attempted to improve their site to compete. You still can't search by release date, only the vague "past 90 days" filter that still seems to show incorrect/even older content. Prominent links still exist to browse categories/content that barely been updated in ages.
OpenCritic replaced Metacritic for me a long time ago.
I see metacritic mentioned often but cant honestly say ive heard the names gamespot and gamefaqs since my dreamcast playing days. Probably because i live under a rock, but its cozy there.

edit:

yup its been a while for them

New GameFAQs Content
Guides | Reviews | Cheats

Fable III
X360 PC
People submit new guides and updates to other guides for a variety of games all the time. Just because Fable III came out 12 years ago doesn't mean there isn't new content.
1665774038076.png

Yeah, I am not super happy with this news. I use gamespot for their walkthroughs quite frequently, especially for older games. I am really hoping that there are no drastic changes to the format or removal/censorship of older content.

Pro-white discussion is definitely going to be a sensitive topic anywhere in the public sphere mainly because there are those realities of the past. That said, it is free speech and I absolutely believe it should be allowed as long as no groups are being threatened, etc. However, there is a difference between being censored vs. getting flack for talking about something that people perceive as being an attack on decency. I think that a lot of people, such as myself, agree that there is discrimination towards whites in today's society (not just in gaming) but our answer to it is that we should focus on what unites us as humans and not divide. I think the perception often is when you see somebody who is building up whites specifically that they aren't trying to eliminate an injustice but rather return to the old days. I think that if you were to carefully clarify that angle whenever discussing the topic and emphasize that your goal is to create a more equal and tolerant society for all that it should be reasonably well received in a place like this. If it were me, I would explicitly clarify that my intent is equality for all every time I write a sentence that might sound like something a "white supremecist" could say just to make sure that nothing I say could be taken out of context of misconstrued. It's a pain, I know, but sometimes getting social acceptance on certain topics requires that you be painfully explicit in your words to keep people's minds from veering back to a certain pre-programmed way of thinking.

That said, this site is really good in terms of fairly decent people and allowing a reasonable amount of free speech. I used to post on VGChartz and had to leave because the censorship and cult-like thinking of the community got so bad. Honestly, this place is like a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Pro-white discussion is definitely going to be a sensitive topic anywhere in the public sphere mainly because there are those realities of the past

But blacks are the ones who warred and conquered and enslaved other blacks, and then sold those enslaved blacks (by black slavers if you're keeping track) to the white slavers. White slavers didn't go into Africa with safari helmets and nets and guns to capture 'wild, free-range' black people themselves.

The 'realities of the past' that make 'pro-white discussion a sensitive topic' is actually just more propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back