Fan vs entire heatsink replacement possible?

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
I've got a 1.3ghz/256mb/40gig HD laptop that was given to me. I fixed the power cord plugin by taking the whole thing apart and doing some soldering; while doing so I got the model number of the cheap fan that gave out. I don't want to buy a HSF combo for ~$75 if I can get a 20 cent fan for a few bucks.

Anyone have advice? I've never had such a hard time finding a laptop part. Is a cooler to sit it on a better idea? I havent put a penny into it yet and I think it's worthwhile for a free laptop.

Replacement:
https://www.excelcomputerinc.com/ht...D=824&intcatalogID=[fan]&intcatalogref=744749

Fan on my HSF:
Sunon 111302a

By chance have you checked ebay? I don't know what model laptop you have but its pretty easy to find spare parts on there for many laptops.

If nothing else you could try the fan, it really depends on the laptop if it would work. My sister's dell runs hot enough it cracked a table, in that case I doubt it would work but on the other hand the thinkpads I have run pretty cool

Of course can always gamble the $5 if you think you can attach it securely.

I've checked ebay with minimal luck on the entire HSF replacement. I yielded nothing on the fan model, I can't find anything about the fan online either.

You could always try finding a different small fan and modding it in. I'm sure you could fit in a 40mm fan if you remove the blade assembly from the cage and find a way to mount it in the circular hole in the heatsink assembly.

There are 3 fan holes that line up with the heatsink. I'd have to have either the exact fan or some generalized small 3 screw fan. The wiring can be manually ran if needed.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back