Fan Spins At 100% All The Time

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I just build a new computer with the following parts:

Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus
Intel i7-12700K
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with two 140mm fans

One 140mm Brown fan (exhaust fan, see photo) hooked up to Fan Optinal header and it can't be controlled speed wise, so it runs at 100% at all times.

How do I hook up the Brown exhaust fan so that it builds up speed like the two fans on the CPU cooler?

Do I just get another fan splitter and hook it up to the brown exhaust fan so that all 3 will spin at the same time?

Attachments

• dfdfdfdf.jpg
    dfdfdfdf.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 1
all 3 are pwm? a splitter would be the easiest way, if theyre all the same connector type. otherwise, make sure its pwm and the bios is set to pwm mode in q-fan(bios)

You have the exhaust connected to CPU OPT? That should work and you should have BIOS control. You could also connect it to any of the chassis fan headers and have full control via the BIOS.

What sort of fan is that exhaust, exactly?

You have the exhaust connected to CPU OPT? That should work and you should have BIOS control. You could also connect it to any of the chassis fan headers and have full control via the BIOS.

What sort of fan is that exhaust, exactly?
Looks like a noctua A14.

Noctua A14.

I just bought a Noctua NF-A15 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin today to see if that will work better.

If the A14 is a DC, non-PWM fan, I wonder if your chassis fan header is mistaking it for PWM somehow. You ought to be able to set the fan header control type explicitly (to DC), in the BIOS.

OK so I went to BIOS and changed the fan settings from "Auto Detect" to "DC" and it fixed the problem!

The Noctua A14 CPU OPT fan went from spinning at around 1200 RPM to around 844 RPM and I can barely hear it. What a huge difference it made.

My only question is will changing the settings from Auto Detect to DC have any affect on my other fans? Will it damage it somehow? I have two fans on the cooler, one fan in front of PC, one on bottom, and one on top. The last 3 fans are controlled with a manual fan slider controller so I don't think changing the DC settings will do anything to them but what about the two fans on the CPU cooler?

OK so I went to BIOS and changed the fan settings from "Auto Detect" to "DC" and it fixed the problem!

The Noctua A14 CPU OPT fan went from spinning at around 1200 RPM to around 844 RPM and I can barely hear it. What a huge difference it made.

My only question is will changing the settings from Auto Detect to DC have any affect on my other fans? Will it damage it somehow? I have two fans on the cooler, one fan in front of PC, one on bottom, and one on top. The last 3 fans are controlled with a manual fan slider controller so I don't think changing the DC settings will do anything to them but what about the two fans on the CPU cooler?
it will be fine

Reactions: Hulk
like this

4pin fans are PWM. 3pin are DC.

My experience with BIOS fan settings is that they are header specific. If you change one header to DC it ought to affect only that header. An Asus Z690 ought to be sophisticated enough to have per-header settings. :) Easy enough to check if you want to, choose another fan in the BIOS and see what it says about the control type.

It's weird that the auto-detect wasn't working, but whatever - good to hear that you have a fix!

I downloaded "Fan Control" to further tweak the fan setting to make it totally silent.

JayZTwoCents has a good review of it on the YouTube. Setting fan speed to 39% makes it spin at 555 RPMs which is totally silent.

Attachments

• Fan Control.jpg
    Fan Control.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back