Fan releases Super Mario 64 port for PC, no emulator required

Works pretty darn well here. I feel the controls with an XB1 feel a bit twitchy, but nothing I can't get used to, or maybe it's just me. But it looks and sounds great.
The controls feel great for me with a 12yr old wired 360 controller.
How ever, the physics in-game do feel a little off every now and then, but that might just be from playing Havok-physics games for the last 15 years. Walking on some oddly-angled surfaces has weirder results than I remember from the playthroughs of Mario64 I did on N64 and NDS

Anyone know how to use a controller, and how do you change resolution? Is there a option screen?

Not really sure what the point of your post was? You basically said I'm wrong and then go on to say the same thing in a different way?

MVGamer was actually wrong on some of his points and was corrected by someone on the reversing team in the comments.
My point is that it wasn't a planetary alignment. People worked really hard to get that source code. Not sure what MVGamer was wrong at. Wish he made a follow up video to correct his mistakes then.

My point is that it wasn't a planetary alignment. People worked really hard to get that source code. Not sure what MVGamer was wrong at. Wish he made a follow up video to correct his mistakes then.

It was very much planetary alignment.

- SM64 was a launch title that had had a deadline set in stone with the release of the Nintendo 64.
- The early SDK for the Nintendo 64 had quite a few bugs.
- The console was brand new and programmers had no experience with it.

The rushed nature of the game lead to bugs in the game code, which resulted in Nintendo releasing a partial debug build of the game, which made it easier for people to reverse engineer the code. If there had not been a partial debug build, the reverse engineering process would have taken far longer and possibly not have been done at all.

The EU release six months after the NA release did actually have a fully optimized build of the game, presumably after being able to iron out the bugs in the game code and a more matured SDK being available. If SM64 initially had an additional six months of time before the first release, it likely would have seen a fully optimized build of the game.

Edit: I think it's against [H] rules to link this stuff. But I'll just leave this here: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvUnRJR0JTeFkjWTNnNFNOZllSdWR5UE55UlJRWGdDTUI5Q01RdU5BaGR4UlVkRDZCRmh6QQ==

Wow! I got that file in less then 30 seconds (well being 2020 with High Speed Internet and a game from 1996 the file is 'only' 45.1MB)

I did my duty I seeded the torrent for as long as I could. I did not try it yet but I though I'd better get it before Nintendo makes it fall off the face of the internet :)

That company Nintendo (along with Viacom who I really hate to high hell but I do love SpongeBob SquarePants and SouthPark both owned by that evil company, download one torrent and I get hounded by from the ISP for a DMCA violation) shows no mercy with anybody for any reason

Wow! I got that file in less then 30 seconds (well being 2020 with High Speed Internet and a game from 1996 the file is 'only' 45.1MB)

I did my duty I seeded the torrent for as long as I could. I did not try it yet but I though I'd better get it before Nintendo makes it fall off the face of the internet :)

That company Nintendo (along with Viacom who I really hate to high hell but I do love SpongeBob SquarePants and SouthPark both owned by that evil company, download one torrent and I get hounded by from the ISP for a DMCA violation) shows no mercy with anybody for any reason

That's quite a different size file than the 6MB one that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It makes me wonder what the difference is.

Well I found a link to it while searching the web, and the one I found was in a 7z file 6.34MB (6,656,439 bytes). The lone file in the 7z archive was mario.exe that was 24MB (25,226,598 bytes) in size.

The 7z file has a SHA256 hash of 67B3CE3354448D593BAE65809A753C8BD7DFE25BC8592268278D4831CC73C7E2
The exe file in the 7z has a SH256 hash of AAC885C2D11005D9CD1DB8A8FB26EB2350B52FEBC3DE77712B7DF05EB181A9F5

In case anyone wants to check their copy if the file size differs. Since the original seemed to be this size I think I got the right one, if your exe differs I'd be careful about running it. I ran mine in a sandbox first just to be sure and it seems legit.

The file I found was *.rar file (from the torrent magnet URL link that I pasted into uTorrent) this is a picture of the contents of said folder SM64Port.jpg

Edit: @LurkerLito
where did you find the *.7z file?

The file I found was *.rar file (from the torrent magnet URL link that I pasted into uTorrent) this is a picture of the contents of said folderView attachment 243739

Edit: @LurkerLito
where did you find the *.7z file?
The .7z link was posted here, and the target was removed. I haven't gone back to see if anyone edited or removed the post. ETA: I just checked and the link was removed from the post after the file got removed.

I noticed the torrent is a .rar, which means someone at some point unpacked the EXE and repacked it in a different format.

That torrent file you got looks like it just has the OpenGL compiled version, the DX12 compiled version, linux compiled versions and the source files. It's probably a more complete version than the one I got.

As for where I found it, I just did a search for mario64 pc port 7z and in the results there was a youtube video page description that had a working link at the time. IIRC there are links elsewhere for the source, but you can't actually compile it unless you have the mario 64 rom cartridge because it needs to grab the game assets from the rom image.

The torrent never worked for me...would appreciate a link if anyone has it up somewhere.

The magnet link above still works. Just use Qbittorrent. Do not use that piece of trash called Utorrent.
It's easy. Even a blind monkey can do it. Copy and paste the link into it and off you go...

https://www.qbittorrent.org/news.php

Note: do not use the windows store. The one there is not an authorized version--check the news page.

ATTENTION WINDOWS USERS: There's a "qBittorrent" app on the Windows Store which costs money. It isn't an official release nor it is coming from us. The person publicizing it doesn't have permission to use the qBittorrent name/logo.

Anyone figure out what the audio is crackly? every video I have ever seen it sounds perfect.

Edit fixed; Use the OGL or open GL version

It would be great it someone edits the game so that the camera position controls have free movement, rather than the 30 degree locked-point turns with each button / direction press. They should also have their X axis reversed.

would be nice to be able to remap buttons. I dunno how to work that txt file as it does nothing. also a save editor just because. ;)

Well if you are using something like DS4Windows all that remapping of keys and inverting of axis can be done in that program if you make a profile for the game.

Anyone figure out what the audio is crackly? every video I have ever seen it sounds perfect.

Edit fixed; Use the OGL or open GL version

It isn't crackling for me at all and I didn't get the package with the OpenGL or Linux ones either.

Is the directx version any different than the opengl version? i have the opengl and I am rather curious to have the directx 12 version of the game.

hopefully nothing happens here due to all the link sharing...
Worst that happens is a DMCA take down notification. Since the link to the file has been removed a long time now, I doubt one would get sent. Worst case if a letter did get sent a mod would have to delete a couple of posts to comply with it.

Is the directx version any different than the opengl version? i have the opengl and I am rather curious to have the directx 12 version of the game.
DX12 version has bad audio on all my computers, the open gl one seems perfect

Maybe it's time for Nintendo to release their games on PC. Considering how many emulators exist to play these games on PC, including the Switch.
Seems like they're missing out on a big revenue stream. They're already allowing Mario and Pokémon to be raped for shekels on mobile platforms, why not show the IP some respect on PC? Nintendo is hopelessly tied to selling hardware for their mainstream games.

Back