Fan releases Super Mario 64 port for PC, no emulator required

erek

[H]F Junkie
So nice!

"Unlike other fan-made ports and homebrew games based on Nintendo properties, the Super Mario 64 PC port dropped without advance notice. The port can be difficult if you don’t know where to look — even most Reddit comment threads won’t link the game.

“They actually did it the right way,” wrote Reddit user Jadentheman, in response to the fully released project. Instead of announcing DX12 Super Mario 64 and putting out a single level, the creator dumped the entire game online over the weekend with little fanfare. While Nintendo will surely hunt down download links to the game, the sudden release gives players a short window to find the game and download it before it goes away — which is why fans are trying to protect the new PC port by not sharing it on public forums.

While it’s not confirmed, it’s speculated this new port is a result of the decompiled Super Mario 64 source code that leaked last year.

This DirectX 12 version of Super Mario 64 comes only a few weeks after a rumors of the game’s Switch port, which is reportedly coming later this year, alongside other Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy."

https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/4/21246880/super-mario-64-dx12-4k-native-no-emulator-download-hidden

Frickin awesome! Where do I get it ?

*ahem*

Link = rektd

download, use 7 zip to extract and bingo. Its a 6mb file at download and like 24mb when its extracted. Holy moly. This is awesome. Grab it while you can. Works amazing with the xbox controller too.

Last edited:
The commenters about this are right. The guy fully finished the game, then released it, so that it can get out there enough that Nintendo will never be able to completely take it down. Normally these projects are announced so early (for some reason) that they never finish before being taken down by Nintendo.

Shame the above link didnt work.
1588650139866.png

Edit: I think it's against [H] rules to link this stuff. But I'll just leave this here: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvUnRJR0JTeFkjWTNnNFNOZllSdWR5UE55UlJRWGdDTUI5Q01RdU5BaGR4UlVkRDZCRmh6QQ==

Last edited:
Weird, I also have a 1080Ti STRIX and it's working great for me.

stock 4590, 8gigs ram, win10 1903, latest detonator 445.87 drivers

using nvidia hdmi audio to my Plasma
Lol @ plasma

Since this is still questionably legal...is it better than running the same game via Project 64 and such? I get that it doesn't require an emulator, but I'm just curious if it's better or just the same thing.

Might be power hungry, but plasma still looks amazing.
Indeed. still better picture quality than all the 4K LCD/QLEDs ive seen in stores or at peoples houses. Only thing that comes close is OLED
yup my LG 50" is hungry and hot but has better picture than anything else ive used. i'll be sad when it dies.

Since this is still questionably legal...is it better than running the same game via Project 64 and such? I get that it doesn't require an emulator, but I'm just curious if it's better or just the same thing.
i think this remake is totally illegal, emus you can sorta get away with if bios/roms are from your own device/games. if not, then its illegal too. not that im looking down on it or anything just technically speaking.

Cool, I'll give it a try. Been playing it for years on Retroarch with shaders. I'll see how it stacks up.

Yah i got it on USB stick here at home. It'll pop up again im sure. I hope this guy remakes Golden Eye and all the other favorites.

The only reason SM64 got a source code release was because of planetary alignment. A whole lot of factors went right (or wrong depending on the perspective) where the US release of the game used some debug code, which enabled use of code decompilers to get C code. But even with the decompiled code, a team of people had to go through the code and organize and fix it so that it could be recompiled into a working game, a process which took quite a bit of time. Porting it to PC took quite a bit more time.

The things that enabled SM64 to be reverse engineered almost always didn't exist in most later N64 titles, meaning that it'd take a lot more effort to do the same thing. Goldeneye 64 did have sort of a PC port, Goldeneye: Source. https://geshl2.com/ though, it's multiplayer only.

The only reason SM64 got a source code release was because of planetary alignment. A whole lot of factors went right (or wrong depending on the perspective) where the US release of the game used some debug code, which enabled use of code decompilers to get C code. But even with the decompiled code, a team of people had to go through the code and organize and fix it so that it could be recompiled into a working game, a process which took quite a bit of time. Porting it to PC took quite a bit more time.

The things that enabled SM64 to be reverse engineered almost always didn't exist in most later N64 titles, meaning that it'd take a lot more effort to do the same thing. Goldeneye 64 did have sort of a PC port, Goldeneye: Source. https://geshl2.com/ though, it's multiplayer only.
Not exactly. What happened is that some people took the time to De-Compilation the binary. They reverse compiled the code, which is a painful process. There are tools you can use to generate raw C code from the binary and open source, but imagine having a whole lot of C code that doesn't have any comments in it. Someone had to take the time and add comments to the Mario 64 code. This is just the result of how much passion people have for Mario 64.

Works pretty darn well here. I feel the controls with an XB1 feel a bit twitchy, but nothing I can't get used to, or maybe it's just me. But it looks and sounds great.

Not exactly. What happened is that some people took the time to De-Compilation the binary. They reverse compiled the code, which is a painful process. There are tools you can use to generate raw C code from the binary and open source, but imagine having a whole lot of C code that doesn't have any comments in it. Someone had to take the time and add comments to the Mario 64 code. This is just the result of how much passion people have for Mario 64.

Not really sure what the point of your post was? You basically said I'm wrong and then go on to say the same thing in a different way?

MVGamer was actually wrong on some of his points and was corrected by someone on the reversing team in the comments.

Back