Fan noise reduction on a Supermicro SC826

danswartz

2[H]4U
So, my new JBOD has 3 80x80x38 fans mid-chassis. Run either at 7000RPM (full) or 3600RPM (optimum). The former is jet plane annoying. The latter is just loud enough to be irritating (my lab is in a corner of the family room downstairs.) I got a couple of noctua fans, but they don't fit in the SM hotplug carriers (the carrier has a solid thumb-sized depression that protrudes down between the front and back parts of the fan. It's wide enough that an 80x80x25 fan won't fit :( I could not for the life of me find any low-noise 80x80x38 fans. I ended up getting a noctua na-fc1, which has a dial allowing 0-100% speed, as well as a 3:1 fanout cable. I found that 2500RPM is just about perfect, and the temp fluctuates between 1-2 centigrade higher (never gets higher than 36C).

Cool! I also run these little server fans and man are they loud. I have 6 of them on a 2667v3 dual system and I run them on a fan curve. Usually aren't too bad, but they definitely start to become annoying around 4k.

I assume larger fans aren't an option? 80mm fans are always loud. I don't know that I've ever used any that I would recommend. But then again, I've always had the option to upgrade to larger models in my case selections.

In regards to gimicky fan mounts, what about removing the mount altogether and simply screwing the fan into the case? I've been in that boat a few times myself, and it's usually easy enough to remove the fan mount and simply drill some holes to mount the fan in the typical manner.

1. It's a 2U JBOD, so 80x80 is the only option.
2. There really isn't anywhere convenient to screw things to.

The PWM controller seems to work fine, so I think I'm gonna declare victory :)

Back