Fan grill for 140 size / 120 mounted fan?

I'm looking to buy a slim profile fan that's 140mm in size but has 120mm mounting points. Raijintek, Prolimatech, Cryorig and Silverstone all make a version of such critter.

Problem is, I can't find a fan grill in that form factor. A 120mm grill would leave the cardinal edges of the fan exposed and choke airflow, where a 140mm grill would work, but require four more mounting holes that wouldn't line up with the fan's.

Anyone ever seen such a thing, or know a good custom shop to refer me to?

The resulting grill for such a thing might look a bit like a "bloated" 120mm fan grill.

IMG_20171102_133036_01.png

Hm... That would look pretty good on the case, but as it's aluminum, I'd need to add something ferrous (probably countersunk screws) for it to attach to.

I think I'd prefer a custom job, but I'll keep that one in mind if custom turns out stupid expensive. Thanks!

Hm... That would look pretty good on the case, but as it's aluminum, I'd need to add something ferrous (probably countersunk screws) for it to attach to.

I think I'd prefer a custom job, but I'll keep that one in mind if custom turns out stupid expensive. Thanks!
you could cut some sticky-backed magnet tape to fit, as well.

Didn't know they had such fans. The Cryorig ones look pretty sweet. I needed 20mm or thinner fans in my Xeon machine since the motherboard is so wide.
went with some GamerStorm 120mm 20mm thick fans, would have preferred 3 of the 140 Cryorig XT's

IMG_1527.JPG

mount that filter and fan on the same side as the case.

mount that filter and fan on the same side as the case.
Same side of the case? Not sure I see how that would help. The 140mm fan filter's magnets are meant to stick to a 140mm fan's mounting screws, but the screws on these fans follow a 120mm hole pattern.

Same side of the case? Not sure I see how that would help. The 140mm fan filter's magnets are meant to stick to a 140mm fan's mounting screws, but the screws on these fans follow a 120mm hole pattern.
Oh, that was the 140mm version filter.
this is the 120mm that is pretty much as open as it can get I guess,

https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-...=1509671228&sr=8-11&keywords=120mm++fan+grill

maybe get some mesh filter material and glue it to the inside of the case covering the fan opening(s)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Didn't know they had such fans. The Cryorig ones look pretty sweet. I needed 20mm or thinner fans in my Xeon machine since the motherboard is so wide.
went with some GamerStorm 120mm 20mm thick fans, would have preferred 3 of the 140 Cryorig XT's

View attachment 41854

I don't mean to derail VanGoghComplex's thread, but...

Zepher,

I saw your system in another thread yesterday regarding the Cooler Master Air 540 case. That is a beautiful system! I have a dual Xeon E5-2670 system also, but I can't put a PCIE x16 video card in it because the memory banks make it impossible to put a card of any length in there. I ended up having to put a Geforce 710 PCIE x8 video card in there just to get it to fit. I've thought about using this as my main system a time or two, but the video card limitation prevents this. My system has an Intel S2600CP motherboard. What motherboard do you have?

Last edited:
I don't mean to derail VanGoghComplex's thread, but...

Zepher,

I saw your system in another thread yesterday regarding the Cooler Master Air 540 case. That is a beautiful system! I have a dual Xeon E5-2670 system also, but I can't put a PCIE x16 video card in it because the memory banks make it impossible to put a card of any length in there. I ended up having to put a Geforce 710 PCIE x8 video card in there just to get it to fit. I've thought about using this as my main system a time or two, but the video card limitation prevents this. My system has an Intel S2600CP motherboard. What motherboard do you have?
I have the Intel S2600COE version that has clearance for full length PCIe 16x cards

IMG_0827.JPG

I have the Intel S2600COE version that has clearance for full length PCIe 16x cards

View attachment 41938

Thanks for the information. It was hard to see the PCIE slots in the darker picture.

Mine looks like this:

Intel S2600CP.png

So, the only PCIe 16x slot is blocked by the memory bank below it. Not a very good design, but the system was not meant for gaming (former Facebook server, I'm sure).

Sorry to derail the original thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks for the information. It was hard to see the PCIE slots in the darker picture.

Mine looks like this:

View attachment 41958

So, the only PCIe 16x slot is blocked by the memory bank below it. Not a very good design, but the system was not meant for gaming (former Facebook server, I'm sure).

Sorry to derail the original thread. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
You could always use a riser cable and mount your GPU somewhere cooler looking, like this:

IMG_20170708_113225700.jpg

You could always use a riser cable and mount your GPU somewhere cooler looking, like this:

View attachment 41965

That looks really nice. I may end up doing that. In looking at my case (Rosewill Rise), it has a slot that looks like it is made for just such a setup (it's to the side of the regular PCI openings and perpendicular to them). Unfortunately, it's only a single slot, so I'd be limited to cards that aren't dual slot.

Sounds like you should make something and have it 3D printed or cut out of something. I made one of the ASUS ROG fan grills with the 3D printer at work and it came out nice, just had to do cleanup on it.

Hey guys, I found a guy on Etsy who makes custom acrylic fan grills. He's making this for me:

icm_fullxfull.137120280_nw12nmjt1o0ok0c08co8~2.jpg

He hasn't gotten to me with pricing yet, but if it's good and quality is good I'll link his page here. =)

Back