Fan curve question

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
I've always used MSI Afterburner for overriding and setting a fan curve for years. I was curious though, do you always run your fans or do you zero them out at a certain temperature. Currently with my 6900 XT I have them running at about 20% (or about 975rpm) when 30c or under.

I've always used MSI Afterburner for overriding and setting a fan curve for years. I was curious though, do you always run your fans or do you zero them out at a certain temperature. Currently with my 6900 XT I have them running at about 20% (or about 975rpm) when 30c or under.
i have my 5700 set at 20% until it hits 50c and then ramps to 100% at 80c.

I used to zero them out at low CPU temperatures but I had found that turning them off would cause my hard drive temperatures to drift unacceptably high without front intake fans running. I have SSDs in my machine but still have a couple of 4TB drives for bulk storage.
Right now I have a fan speed floor around 20%-30% depending on the fan stall speed up to 40C, and then a ramp to 100% at 70C.

I keep mine going full time, lowest speed is about 30%

Which is 100% silent with my Arctic Accelero 3. (Even 100% isn't that loud, especially compared to the ridiculous noise that was the stock cooler.)

1614132876397.png

The minimum able to be set by mine is 30% speed, which from reading seems to be a driver limitation for custom curves. Apart from that it's a binary fanless mode that switches to some higher fan speed after a certain temp if used with the stock curve.

Would be nice to be able to get the full range for custom curves but I'm not too concerned as even 30% isn't audible unless I have my ear to the case.

Are you useing afterburner with your 6900xt? is there some kind of trick i cant get it to work with mine. i have sapphire nitro

Case fans always on, would turn off cpu fan if bios supported it. Full speed above 80c, min at 32c, ramp at around 48c.

Back