Fan control for 3-pin fans over 4-pin splitter

friend'scatdied

[H]ard|Gawd
If I use a 4-pin PWM fan splitter such as this and connect 3-pin fans to it, would I still be able to voltage-regulate the 3-pin fans for fan speed control from my motherboard?

I have an ASRock X99E-ITX/ac and it mentions support for control of either 4- or 3-pin fans. I'm just wondering if the splitter being 4-pin would somehow force the motherboard into operating in PWM regulation.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You will be able to voltage control the fan just fine without problems.. but also remember that doing this force the motherboard to run hotter as the voltage regulation is a extra workload that's the reason not every mobo support voltage regulation to fans... but apart of that you will be fine, even connected the 4 pin connector it will be disabled, it's just like connect the splitter alone without fan, it will cause no effect..

Weird coincidence, I just ordered 5 of those same splitters from Amazon this afternoon!

The only thing you may want to be careful about is the amperage. I have a ASUS Gene VI and asked them. No answer as of yet. It's not the same motherboard that you have. But I'll update this when and if I get an answer so that you can have a general idea of the amperage you can pull.

You will be able to voltage control the fan just fine without problems...
Hmmm, I was going to reply w/the opposite. When I connect a 3-pin fan to the exact splitter OP linked to, it spins at full speed.

Edit: nevermind. In my case the splitter is connected to my cpu fan header (pwm). OP is inquiring about voltage rpm control, not pwm.

Last edited:
Back