Fan Cable Between Motherboard and Tray

DedEmbryonicCe11

[H]ard|Gawd
Picture001.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Set this up earlier today then I remembered some horror story about a board burning from a short with cables running in a position like this. I wasn't sure though if the cable sleeving on this fan would provide enough extra insulation to make it completely safe. For now I disconnected it from the fan header until I get assured. IF necessary to route it another way I already have a 3pin->3pin extension cable handy but it's not going to be as simple.:D

Only need to worry if it was a thick cable and the board was putting enough pressure that 1. the board was bowing outward because of the cable behind it and 2. if there was enough force from the board being bolted to the standoff's that the solder joints on the back of the board were puncturing through the plastic sheath.

judging by the look of the cable neither of these things are happening, the story you heard was probably what I did once by accident, where the USB and Fire Wire cables had bunched up at a point behind the board and the solder joints on the back went through both the outer sheath and the sheath coating the wire (wondered what the smell was at first).

Back