Family room for the single guy...

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
I'm hanging the projector next, but I wanted to hang the screen to get a feel for the fit.

IMAG0172.jpg

The screen will hang pretty much flush against the ceiling when not in use.

IMAG0171.jpg

Does the screen look better higher (top) or lower (bottom)?

Yay! Amazon has a new Prime customer

IMAG0176.jpg

Edit for seating w/risers hoping for wiring to go in this weekend

IMAG0195.jpg

components in place, just need paint, carpet and wire routing.

justabout.JPG

And yes, getting rid of that light fixture too.

Last edited:
I first loaded this thread on a mobile device and thought you were fucking with everyone because the pics looked the same :p

I would say the top looks *slightly* better... but I'm not sure why you care at all what "looks better" if it is going to be flush anyway? (and you don't have a nagging S.O. complaining about the aesthetics of the screen during movie watching ;) )

I would focus on what is the best for you when you are sitting in your prime viewing location. No one here can tell you whether or not the top or bottom hanging will feel the most comfortable/give you the best vertical viewing angle without being the same height as you and swinging by your pad to take a seat on your couch :)

Why didn't you get a pull down, it covers up half your fireplace. Not sure how you got the wife to approve that.

I have seen some pull downs that get wavy, I'm assuming due to repetitive furling and I wanted to avoid that. I have a pull down in my mancave, but it stays down all the time.

I have seen some pull downs that get wavy, I'm assuming due to repetitive furling and I wanted to avoid that. I have a pull down in my mancave, but it stays down all the time.

If you are single the entire house is your man cave.

My house had a chain saw room. It stored my chainsaws and other random tools. I really want a weapons room but need to either put something in front of the windows in a spare bed room or do something to secure that room.

Anyway OP just go with whichever looks better when your ass is on the couch.

My man cave has been renamed the "loveshack" because it only has a leather loveseat. This room has been renamed from family room to manly room.

I've decided to curtain off the fireplace, we never use it and that will provide some space for equipment as well Can't wait for carpeting and paint!

/edit SWEET! no need for a second HTPC... I've just ordered a BT keyboard/mouse and a 20' HDMI cable I'll run display clone off the second output of my 6850.

Last edited:
Kinect is taking some getting used to. but Forza at 100", 1080p and 7.1 is awesome! (even if i DO suck at it!)
I neglected to remember that my xbox was running hardwired ( it used to be 6' away from the router) ordered an adapter ( amazon prime is paying off!)

Ceiling is now painted Red, actually the whole room was painted slightly darker shade of red, and I went to flat rather than the semigloss. I'll be putting the room back together tomorrow. I will try to get another picture then

If its okay to ask...

What are the dimensions of the room?
How high are the risers?
How high is the ceiling?

Very nice. I have a friend of mine who did very similar (his room is painted all black) and it is extremely impressive. Best theater experience I've ever had, even better then most theaters.

If its okay to ask...

What are the dimensions of the room?
How high are the risers?
How high is the ceiling?

Room dimensions are 13.5 X 21 X 8
The risers are 6" each - the clearance to the ceiling is a little awkward on the top riser - it's still 7 feet, but if you are standing, your are aware of the proximity of the ceiling - once seated it's not an issue.

Back