Famed USS Enterprise Takes Its Final Voyage

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We don’t usually take time on navy ships unless there are rail guns involved, but since the U.S.S. Enterprise is a technological marvel in itself, the event deserves mention. The Big E is deploying on its last voyage in its 50 year history as the oldest serving aircraft carrier in the U.S. fleet. The list of distinctions is too long to cite other than it is the world’s very first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. The ship will be decommissioned after its seven month deployment. Bon Voyage, Big E :cool:

My dad used to serve aboard her. He toured around the world many times over during his deployment there. I was lucky enough to go on a "Tiger Cruise" (week long cruise for sons/daughters from Hawaii to Alameda) on it.

We talk about ecosystems of Google, Apple & Microsoft, but they pale in comparison to what The Big-E has.

Damn, they just finished a re-fit of her not too long ago, had a bunch of friends that served on her. I never go tthe chance too, Army guys are afraid of water lol, but I did go see her once, pretty epic.

As a former ships-company member of the USS Enterprise, CVN-65, from 1988-1991, it is sad to see the old girl go off on her last deployment. I have fond memories serving aboard the boat. Operation Praying Mantis, Hong Kong, PI, Thailand, Westpac, World Cruise, etc. I may have bitched at the time, but I am proud to say that I sailed on her. Fair winds and following seas, shipmates!

Sad it's not going to be a museum, yeah they got to cut a big hole in it to remove the nuclear material, but why don't they save the piece and just weld it back together.

With the way you guys keep referring to the ship as "her", she is beginning to sound like a real whore. :p

But I do agree, it should be a museum. Great history for this ship.

it'd be the bomb diggity if they named another one and called it Enterprise-A.

ps, i always loved TNG and their models of past ships and included the aircraft carrier

Am I the only one figuring this is a use it or lose it mission?

"They" been beating the drum pretty hard lately...just sayin'

To boldly go where no man has gone before...

It's amazing how long this ship has been in service. What's even more amazing is that the only thing keeping it from serving longer is its reactors.

Whats even more amazing is that the ship was commissioned in November 1961. (it was the worlds first nuclear powered aircraft carrier).

This was before John Glenn performed the first U.S. manned space flight

It was commissioned 3 years before the Gulf of Tonkin incident which pulled the U.S. full force into the Vietnam War.

When it was commisioned it launced with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II as its primary aircraft. This is a plane that started to be replaced in 1974 by the the F-14 Tomcat which in its turn started to be replaced by the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet in 1995, 17 years ago.

The lifespan of this carrier is simply astonishing.

This is what cars looked like when the USS Enterprise was commissioned:

[img[http://www.jalopyjunction.com/sitebuilder/images/Show_Cars_124-798x599.jpg[/img]

Zarathustra[H];1038483538 said:
To boldly go where no man has gone before...

It's amazing how long this ship has been in service. What's even more amazing is that the only thing keeping it from serving longer is its reactors.

Whats even more amazing is that the ship was commissioned in November 1961. (it was the worlds first nuclear powered aircraft carrier).

This was before John Glenn performed the first U.S. manned space flight

It was commissioned 3 years before the Gulf of Tonkin incident which pulled the U.S. full force into the Vietnam War.

When it was commisioned it launced with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II as its primary aircraft. This is a plane that started to be replaced in 1974 by the the F-14 Tomcat which in its turn started to be replaced by the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet in 1995, 17 years ago.

The lifespan of this carrier is simply astonishing.

This is what cars looked like when the USS Enterprise was commissioned:

[img[http://www.jalopyjunction.com/sitebuilder/images/Show_Cars_124-798x599.jpg[/img]

doh, image fail.

Show_Cars_124-798x599.jpg

With the way you guys keep referring to the ship as "her", she is beginning to sound like a real whore. :p

She has had a bunch of sea men in her... :D

It's always sad to see something with so much history get set aside...but, let's hope its in the name of bigger/ greater ships

My dad served on the enterprise during vietnam, and fought the fire on board in 69.

I got to tour the ship with him a few years ago. It's going to be tough for the old guy.

My nephew served aboard the Enterprise for about 3 years in nuclear propulsion. He's still in the navy and will probably go to the de-commissioning ceremonies next fall.

I did get a chance to cruise on the big "E" a few times, not a bad ship. It's a hell of a lot better than the JFK, damn that ship was a load of trouble. Damn.. a shame to see such a great ship get demolished.

Let's not forget that while docked in Alameda the radiation from the ship's reactor helped the crew from another Enterprise save the Earth in the 23rd century.

I felt the same way about my old Cruiser, the USS Belknap CG-26. She had a rather interesting history too (including getting run over/destroyed by the USS Kennedy in 1975, and surviving to fight another day). She was also a very tough ship to serve on.

She didn't give up easy. Failing to be sunk by normal means, they finally had to bomb her from the air.

In fact both my Navy Ships have been sunk as targets. The Belknap and the USS Peterson DD-969.

The Peterson wasn't really that old, being built in 1975. She was a Spruance Class Destroyer. The Spruance Cans did get the living shit run out of them though, being the Ferrari's of the Sea. If you were on a Spruance, you were always haze gray and underway.

My Uncle and namesake flew off of her. I went Subs instead though

/salute my fellow sailors

and please god.. dont let this cruise be to participate in ww3

Are they going to upgrade/retrofit her with a FTL drive, photon torpedo bay and phasers, shields, and transportation device?

/salutes

My father had served on this ship as a Radio Operator. There were many stories that he has told me about his time on the ship.

It will be bittersweet to have it gone.

CVN 65 - You won't be forgotten.

I do agree it should be turned in to a museum, why destroy such an epic construction with so much history.

Am I the only one figuring this is a use it or lose it mission?

"They" been beating the drum pretty hard lately...just sayin'

Hopefully it will be decommissioned and turned into a museum. However, you might want to check out this. http://theintelhub.com/2012/01/30/possible-false-flag-on-the-uss-enterprise/

In the coming months i may think back to these posts.

What is the line you tell a fat chick??

Never wear grey. A 1000 sailors will try to board you........... :D

Back