False Hawaii Nuclear Alert Not a Mistake

Whatever you linked to isnt showing up at work. I will have to read it later.

My point is that in theory they can launch a missile that could hit us and that I dont believe we should rely on "we will see it coming". Also not confident we could shoot it down - I know there have been tests but just how accurate are those tests? I haven't seen what I would consider "real world" tests of equivalent missiles coming in at speeds to an undetermined target. I have seen tests for shooting down within X seconds of launch. I will caveat that with I expect some tests to be classified and for me to not be privy to them. But even given all that I am still worried...it really does look like they have an unstable regime and that leads to unpredictability. I am much less concerned about China suddenly attacking than I am NK.

Sure? I wasnt speaking to its implementation but rather that if you have that kind of system, no matter what it is, you keep two people on it at all times.

I'm not so sure. It's just part of the normal emergency alert system like every state has. Most major alerts are weather based and split second response times aren't that critical. In fact, about the only thing that is, would be a nuclear attack and frankly, 5 minutes wouldn't save anyone's ass, not from the warning system. It's critical for the defenders, but to warn the population ... so what, dead people all get a chance to say goodby to whoever they happen to be with at the time? Maybe a few people would make it to some shelter, avoid looking at the flash, and be just as horribly fucked anyway. I wish I could say that it would give me a chance to go out fucking, but that's probably not very real.

When you have positions like that you also do not have breaks. Or if you do you have a replacement relieve you. There should not be any time when the "console" is not manned with at least two people.
If you trust them to do it right (and pay for the added cost).
Edit:
But studies of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki show that it's not going to make much difference. Those who are in the blast zone are killed instantly no matter where they are, those on the fringes are killed by radiation poisoning and lack of resources. And those even father away but still in the fallout zone will have to move quickly if they are not to soon die from radiation complications. Really all these warnings do is give people the illusion they can do something if the big bad is ever coming...yeah if you get a warning go to your basement or first story room without windows...and kiss your ass good-bye. Of course if it's a conventional weapon than taking shelter might help those on the fringe of the blast zone.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate. I've only read a few of his books but rather enjoyed Sum of All Fears and Executive Orders. Rainbow Six was okay, don't remember much about it.
Red Storm Rising is good stuff.

Ahh so the little turd was both incompetent AND a dumbass. they only JUST recently fired him too, even after a colossal fuckup such as that.

Back