false advertising of features (AGAIN)

Zardoz

2[H]4U
I am on my 3rd generation of nvidia chipset motherboard. Again I have been sold something does fails to do what they advertise. What I am most specifically talking about is nvidia dualnet and firstpacket technologies.

DualNet and firstpacket is just not (from what I can see) available for Windows Vista 64 bit installs, and is very upsetting. It reminds me for the whole nvidia firewall feature for nforce 4 motherboards.

nvidia has imo has a lot of great ideas and technologies. however fall short or completely fail on the delivery on some of them, yet advertise they have it and are great.

I can only hope I am missing something somewhere, but I don't think I am. I do hope someone can point out what I am doing wrong.

These do not support 780i and are very old. again no support for 780i and Vista 64 bit.

There is supposedly NAM software included with the newer drivers, including the current ones. You need to select that component to get the networking features you's complaining about above. That's what the link I posted explained.

Sure, just like the NAM in the old nForce 4 drivers it's there, but have many issues (known) and fail to work without causing much problems.

trust me, I know where it's, and how it works, and it's called failed on nvidias part.

I am on my 3rd generation of nvidia chipset motherboard.

Perhaps you require SLI ?
From your length of membership etc. I have to think you were well aware and able to research this issue before buying. My point is that these are businesses and their primary concern is to make money. The only vote you have is with your wallet (unless you have the capability to create a company that can compete with them in the marketplace). Complaints mostly fall on deaf ears at these large companies and only when they fuck up badly do they seem to react. I still refuse to use Vista because I don't need it, Lexmark will not release a 64bit driver for my fairly new and still good printer, last Lexmark I buy btw. Glad you posted this to inform others about the issue. Hope you have blasted their Marketing with a "I am not buying any more of your crap until you fix this" email. Don't hold your breath.

It is interesting that the specifications for the 780i include references to the First Packet and NAM "Technologies" but the "Technology" pull down does not list them at their site.

This is not much different that Gigabytes "Dual Bios" bullshit in that one discovers you must dedicate drive space for a hidden partition, install their crappy sofware and it will not work with any raid configurations. And few reports of it effectively working when it is installed. Dual Bios my ass.

I too hate this kind of crap and have to spend lots of time I would rather using drinking to investigate anything I buy these days. Oh and that new car, did not come with the sexy girl in the advert or get anywhere near the gas mileage on the sticker. I share your frustration and outrage but if you need SLI whattayagonnado ?

I have the famous DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250GB (nForce 3 chipset) motherboard and the special NVidia features promoted on this board don't work so well either. Firewall, RAID and GigE controller. Everything else about the board is good. It will be my first and last NVidia chipset board.

For instance, the integrated gigabit ethernet controller has a problem streaming a simple IP (UDP) video. No other PC in my house did. I replaced it with a PCI gigabit NIC and the problem went away. My speeds were also much better with the PCI NIC. Did I say it was just a lowly PCI NIC?

I like AMD, but without a single, solid chipset partner, it's Intel all the way now.

Robert

The nforce 3 250GB NIC just sucked all around with horrible driver support. I had to force nforce 4 drivers onto it to be able to do anything without getting a blue screen or simply losing all connectivity until I rebooted. Guru3d had special packages of nforce drivers for the 3 series that mixed in the necessary 4 series drivers.

The nforce 3 250GB NIC just sucked all around with horrible driver support. I had to force nforce 4 drivers onto it to be able to do anything without getting a blue screen or simply losing all connectivity until I rebooted. Guru3d had special packages of nforce drivers for the 3 series that mixed in the necessary 4 series drivers.

Yep, I used those drivers too. It's stable except for the features mentioned.

Robert

Perhaps you require SLI ?
From your length of membership etc. I have to think you were well aware and able to research this issue before buying. My point is that these are businesses and their primary concern is to make money. The only vote you have is with your wallet (unless you have the capability to create a company that can compete with them in the marketplace). Complaints mostly fall on deaf ears at these large companies and only when they fuck up badly do they seem to react. I still refuse to use Vista because I don't need it, Lexmark will not release a 64bit driver for my fairly new and still good printer, last Lexmark I buy btw. Glad you posted this to inform others about the issue. Hope you have blasted their Marketing with a "I am not buying any more of your crap until you fix this" email. Don't hold your breath.

It is interesting that the specifications for the 780i include references to the First Packet and NAM "Technologies" but the "Technology" pull down does not list them at their site.

This is not much different that Gigabytes "Dual Bios" bullshit in that one discovers you must dedicate drive space for a hidden partition, install their crappy sofware and it will not work with any raid configurations. And few reports of it effectively working when it is installed. Dual Bios my ass.

I too hate this kind of crap and have to spend lots of time I would rather using drinking to investigate anything I buy these days. Oh and that new car, did not come with the sexy girl in the advert or get anywhere near the gas mileage on the sticker. I share your frustration and outrage but if you need SLI whattayagonnado ?

I know that companies need to make money, and they do this by making a good product for a good price. However if you say a product can do something and it does not is a very bad thing, and yes it does drop the value and reputation of the companies products.

I think a single voice can make a difference. I know it might be very small but it sure can raise awareness of a problem (Creative labs anyone?). I also agree that it does make you think of what you might buy next. Something that has just good specs on paper and does not work, or something that does what advertised.

I for one don't think that hot cars don't come with hot chics, they never say they do. but if they put on the specs of the car (1) hot chic, dam it it better have 1 hot chic :D

Has anyone heard of NAM working at all? Anyone?

I noticed on the newer 15.17 nforce drivers the option to install it, but declined. It was unusual, though, to even see the option on Vista x64; prior nforce packages did not even have the NAM installation option.

Anyone try it with the new drivers?

Back