Fallout3 slow fps on 8800GTS/Q6600

AARGH!

Gawd
On my son's PC, have installed Fallout3 and patched up to 1.6, and with system specs below I would think he would be getting a better framerate than 30's and lower?

everything is stock
WinXP 32bit
CPU: Q6600
Video Card: 8800GTS
EVGA 750i (using RealTek onboard for audio)
Dell 1905 monitor
latest drivers for all

I've reinstalled, updated drivers (and cleaned in between w/driver sweeper) but with everything cranked down and at 800x600, best peak framerate is low 30's. What's odd is I can crank the resolution up to max of 1600x1200 and still get same framerates.

I'm running a Q6600 o/c'd to 3Ghz and running a GTX260 with everything cranked, and I would think he should be getting something better than 30fps in comparison with the differences in systems. I will have him load up Oblivion and see if it's the same deal, as he was able to run that fine in the past and uses same/similar engine.

Looking for some advice here, as I talked him into getting it for the PC instead of the 360 and now may have stuck him with an unplayable game.

Thanks!

Yep, you should, I have the same system pretty much, but I run 1900x1200 and get those frame rates. hmm, What about the ingame settings, like shadow, and water reflection and so on. Some of those are very taxing.

In game settings are all at low or off. He plays COD4, and a bunch of other FPS's and never had slowness like this.

Yep, you should, I have the same system pretty much, but I run 1900x1200 and get those frame rates. hmm, What about the ingame settings, like shadow, and water reflection and so on. Some of those are very taxing.

I've heard some grumblings in other threads that sometimes Fallout 3 just doesn't install correctly. I personally had this issue until I turned down shadows and even then I still had to re-install.
Check the driver itself and make sure Ambient Occlusion isn't turned on as well.

Definitely kill ambient occlusion. Also, in 3D settings in the nvidial control panel, one thing that kills me is when multi-display acceleration is on. I have two monitors but only use one form games, I have to tell it to use single display acceleration to get games to run fine.

Back