Fallout3 or FarCry 2 - which to buy?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I'm intrigued by both games - but can only afford one.

I played (and really enjoyed) the original Far Cry - but haven't played any of the Fallout series. Both FC2 and F3 are getting good reviews; but I'd appreciate input from actual gamers who've played the games.

What do you like / not like about the games?

Thoughts?

Far Cry 2 has fairly repetitive gameplay and a boring storyline, but is pretty fun for a few hours. Fallout 3 has a much more in depth story and the gameplay is very similar to Oblivion (just with guns). Fallout 3 will probably keep you interested longer largely because of the multiple ways to complete quests and make friends in game. Far Cry 2 will probably get boring before Fallout 3 does.

They're both pretty good games though. Tough decision.

Ive never played Farcry1, nor have I played Farcry2. I've never played fallout 1 or 2

Currently playing Fallout 3 and I digggGG it...

Also, take note, I hated Oblivion.

to be completely honest, i admit i like both games a lot. but at their current price, i would wait until you can pickup far cry 2 for 20-25 dollars. it's fun, but per dollar, you'll have much more fun (as I am) with fallout 3 :D

Having paid money for FarCry 2, if I could dial the clock back and supply myself one bit of advice it would be this: don't touch FarCry 2 with a shitty stick.

If anything, get Fallout 3. I thought it was kind of frustrated at first, because it's pretty buggy. Plus, it only became fun for me after I rolled a masochistic psychopath :). But after about an hour (after you get used to it) it becomes fun.

Honestly, I would just wait though. By the time they get it stable, it would probably cost less

So far Fallout3 has gotten more time than Farcry 2 for me... and I actually paid for Farcry 2... (6 hours into FO3... 1 into Farcry 2 before I quit)

Never pre-ordering a game ever again. UT3... Farcry 2... gah...

I'm even hesistant about L4D but I figure since it's Valve there's a good chance it won't suck.

Fallout 3, hands down. Installed FarCry 2 and played for a few days, then Fallout 3 came out. I am very sure I will not be going back to FC2.

I am going to have to agree with the mob here. I was half way through Far Cry 2 when I got Fallout 3, and I haven't touched Far Cry 2 since. While I could sit down for only 1 hour at a time with FC2, I can sit for 3 hours with Fallout 3, and wish I could play longer.

I doubt either of these games will drop in price for a long time. Oblivion was $50 forever, and I bet Fallout 3 will be the same.

MAKE A POLL!

Fallout3 > Farcry2

So far its 15/15 say Fallout3 is better then that shitbox farcry2.
I haven't seen 1 person recommend farcry2 over fallout3.

That should tell you a lot. :)

I haven't liked a game more than Fallout 3 since HL2. Its the best game in the last 4 years imo.

I liked far cry 2 better, I'm not really into RPG's and fallout is really confusing me, lol

different type of games... If you are more into the fps bit of course Far Cry 2... Story doesn´t matter in fps games anyway if they are done right like in Far Cry 2 :).

Fallout 3 if you don´t really care about the fps part and just want a big adventure :)

C'mon guys, no love for Far Cry 2? This is one of those modern games that come with a special 5-time activation package that is quite the rage these days:p. Plus you also get a unique widescreen implementation not found in other shooters of its kind (except one other game which was a big hit). And wait til you hear the in-game voice acting! It's so fascinating, you'll surely want to turn the subtitles on for enhanced comprehension:eek:.

All these you can have with Far Cry 2! So, what are you waiting for?

Get it now!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hehe. FO3 made me stop playing WoW. Hopefully i will finish with FO3 before the WotLK comes out. If not, i will be WAAAAAY behind all of my guild mates when i finally start the grind to 80. :D

If the game is enough to make a died in the wool WoW player stop playing entirely, you know it has to be good! FO3 is the methadone to my WoW heroin. :D

So far Fallout3 has gotten more time than Farcry 2 for me... and I actually paid for Farcry 2... (6 hours into FO3... 1 into Farcry 2 before I quit)

Never pre-ordering a game ever again. UT3... Farcry 2... gah...

I'm even hesistant about L4D but I figure since it's Valve there's a good chance it won't suck.

I sure hope you paid for FO3. It is a travesty to not pay for someone's labor.

I'd say FO3, but I'd have the urge patience. I couldn't recommend FO3 to my father, a pc gamer, because the old man has absolutely zero tolderance for bugs and such. It's not that he'll hate the game or what not, he just doesn't have the heart to get knee deep in troubleshooting things anymore like he used to.

But FO3 is definitely the more innovative of the two games. FC2 is very much "been there, done that" although very entertaining, just doesn't have the hours upon hours of gameplay value as FO3.

But FO3 is definitely the more innovative of the two games. FC2 is very much "been there, done that" although very entertaining, just doesn't have the hours upon hours of gameplay value as FO3.

QFT. So well said. Lots of us are bangin' on FC2. A lot of the anger comes from selling out around $50 for what really seems like a wast of time and money. The game is not a complete waste but hopefully for others it makes its way quickly to the bargin bin. Its worth maybe $20. That's the thing right now you can get Warhead for $20 [I know this is a FC2 v FO3 thread]. But most of us cannot advise a potential buyer to take FC2 over Warhead at the same price; let alone paying double for FC2.

Bought both. Fallout 3 is a much better game. Only reason to get FC2 would be if you cant stand a leveling system with skills etc or if you really want multiplayer even tho FC2's is supposed to suck(haven't tried it yet myself to busy playing FO3).

Fallout 3 by far. I paid for it and Im damn glad to support a manufacturer of this game. Im playing solely singleplayer offline and its a blast. I have fallen out of pc gaming over the years and this has finally brought me back in to enjoy killing an hour or two a day after work with a brew in hand. I will be starting a new character shortly as I did stupid things early on trying to learn the game as I never played any of the games before it. My playing style, being ultra sneaky/stealthy and using VATS is like the biggest win-win Ive had in a long time.

Side note - I havent seen any major bugs that people are mentioning, performances issues every once in a while. not sure what they are referring to but i have very few issues. Quad core CPU utilization is certainly nice, very short load times.

+1 Fallout 3

The game just rocks.. To be honest, it's my new favorite game ever.

I definitely enjoyed Far Cry 2 also, but it's not in the same league as FO3.

I haven't seen the bugs people are mentioning either. The game has crashed twice for me in 30 hours of gameplay. Aside from that, she is rock solid.

Considering both games, I'd say Fallout3 is getting much better user reviews tham FC2
ecstatic.gif

Far Cry 2 couldent keep my interest for more than a couple hours. I've been playing Fallout 3 with about every free minute I have.

Ya get Fallout 3 if you absolutely have to get only one game but Farcry 2 is still loads of fun i know im in the minority saying that :p

There is a lot of people enjoying the game very much. It getting tons of great reviews and of course some lower which represents the FC 2 bashers around here lately I suppose :) 6/10 is the lowest I have seen so far. I don´t just go with scores but it takes to much space giving complete quotes lol.

Back