Fallout Shelter PC July 2016

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
They didn't announce price but they are adding lots of new features to Fallout Shelter and bringing it to PC. Announcement at the Bethesda E3 conference. Awesome news (to me at least).

I enjoyed Fallout Shelter for what it is. It's a good time waster. My guess is it'll be F2P, same as on mobile.

aaaaand it's out! And it's free! But you need to install the bethesda.net launcher, whatever that is.
It is the same launcher used to install the creation kit ... they have the link to the file in their twitter feed https://t.co/nsZoGvE4GF ... it might be other places as well. Unfortunately you can't migrate your vaults from other devices so you need to start your vault from scratch (unfortunate since my iOS vault has 200 maxed dwellers). It is has the standard purchase options for the impatient (lunchboxes, starter pack, pets, or robots). I haven't played from scratch since they added the attack options so I am not sure how hard a new vault will be (slow and steady expansion used to be the key before). You can disable windowed mode in the setup options if you want to play with the bigger vault. Mouse functions seem to work well (scroll wheel zooms and click and drag works well). Looks like a good port so far.

Update: I went ahead and bought the starter pack out of curiosity. At $5 it probably isn't for everyone but if you want to give your shelter an early kickstart it is probably worth it. You get 100 ea of food and water, 3000 caps, I got 3 special dwellers (all decent stats, armed, and with outfits), 1 robot, 1 pet, 10 stims, 10 radaway, and 10 nuka quantum bottles (let you rush tasks). If you are an experienced player you probably can get by without it, but for the newbie it can get you started for minimal cost. That said, you start getting lunchbox tasks immediately and lunch boxes give you the possibility of weapons and dwellers also. If you are patient, Fallout Shelter is a true free to play game.

Last edited:
This has no business being on a PC. It's a small time waster for mobile phones, and a true one at that. You do your things and then wait for hours for things to happen (dwellers level up or return from wasteland, etc). Not sure what they were even thinking releasing it on PC.
Also, there's a hacked savegame for mobile phones floating on the net that gives you like 999 lunchboxes or something.

This has no business being on a PC. It's a small time waster for mobile phones, and a true one at that. You do your things and then wait for hours for things to happen (dwellers level up or return from wasteland, etc). Not sure what they were even thinking releasing it on PC.
Also, there's a hacked savegame for mobile phones floating on the net that gives you like 999 lunchboxes or something.
They released it on PC because their community asked them to. Kind of nice to have a company listen to their users for a change. FS is certainly a simple game and like most simulations and time/resource management games it has a bunch of "hurry up and wait" elements. There is much more depth to the title now than when it launched and more things to encourage you to stay engaged with the simulation. I like the new quests, they definitely give some added gameplay to the experience. And if you try and play FS without buying anything it remains a difficult and strategic game. Just like Sim City or The Sims isn't everyone's cup of tea, this one won't be either. However, it is nice to play it on a bigger screen and not have to worry about some of the slow downs that occurred on mobile hardware.

Why does it matter if someone wants to ruin their own game experience? o_O

I spent more hours with this game now and although it will likely not win over the non resource management gamer, it is definitely more of a complete game now than at the original launch or some of the previous updates. The slow and steady expansion is now pretty much built into the game unless you really go into a serious breeding program (which is generally suicidal). The quests now give you something to do with your explorers and although the initial ones can be pretty easy, some of the more advanced ones can require a little bit of strategy in equipment and pets. They also add a story element that was sorely missing in the original game. Exploring the buildings in the quests and the occasional wasteland pop ups can be lucrative and gives the game an actual game like element. The one hard part so far is the mysterious stranger. As your vault grows it can be hard to find him before he disappears.

Back