Fallout: New Vegas

Coincidentally enough I finally got around to firing this game up today for the first time. Played an hour then exited and installed a bunch of the recommended mods. The biggest immersion breaker and "WTF" in the game is where in 3rd person mode the character runs at a different speed than the ground moves, on the level of a 90's game. Not sure if there's a fix for that. Anyway it basically feels like an alpha version of "Skyrim with guns" in terms of that trademark Bethesda "clunkiness" to the engine and mechanics.

Played for a few hours, really like the atmosphere but I kept wondering if my time might not be better spent loading Read Dead Redemption (X360) for another playthrough since that game's so much more polished and still gives you that feeling of being out in the middle of a barren nowhere.

I've had this game installed, modded, and ready to play numerous times but just couldn't get into it. Kinda like The Witcher. I dunno if it's me or the game.

I really enjoyed it. Better than Fallout 3 on the whole, in my opinion. Good environment, good quests, decent characters, quite a bit to do. Fun all around. If you like RPGs, particularly of the sci-fi variety, then pick it up. I think you'll enjoy it.

I've had this game installed, modded, and ready to play numerous times but just couldn't get into it. Kinda like The Witcher. I dunno if it's me or the game.

Must be a little of both, because I'm the same way. Fallout:NV has just been sitting here for the longest time.

I'll load up Witcher 2.. play for 5 minutes.. realize I forgot all the keys and mechanics again, then start new game and run through tutorial again, and then suddenly myself wondering if there isn't something around the house I need to be doing. The game looks extremely high quality, the voice acting is superb, you can tell a lot of care and effort went into the game, but I literally have only made it to where you wake up from banging a broad and then go outside and meet the king next to some catapults. SMH.

Last edited:
Hours upon hours spent in this one and its predecessor. I recommend playing it in hardcore mode.

I liked it better than fallout 3, but both games are enjoyable. I think the gameplay and story were improved in New vegas. Being able to shoot accurately without vats helped a lot.

I loved this and fallout3 ( fallout 3 more than this one though ). I've spent...427 hours in game ( according to steam ).

If you like these kinds of open ended, morally questionable type of games, you'll lose yourself in this one. And for some reason, I always find myself watching "The Stand" after going back to this game.

I've put about 15 hours into it. It feels like more of Fallout 3 to me mostly, with some minor changes like the more involved factions. But I just can't commit the other 85+ hours I'll need to beat the damn thing right now, so I uninstalled it for short bite-sized games. I'll get back to it eventually.

Hours upon hours spent in this one and its predecessor. I recommend playing it in hardcore mode.
Hardcore mode on very hard, on way to fly.

Playing sierra madre at level 7 on HC very hard is pretty exciting. Lol
I love this game, skyrim was meh for me. Different strokes.

It was good. Nothing compared to the originals though, but it was better than Fallout 3. I liked the ending I got.

Definitely recommend Hardcore mode and loading up some mods, even for the first playthrough. I've put close to 200 hours into this game. It has its bumps.

Even first time playthrough?

Totally. If you've already played through Fallout 3, then you already have all of the primary gameplay mechanics down. If you haven't played through Fallout 3, then do that first. With like... All of the mods... All of them... ;)

If you are looking for a quick "enhanced edition" of the game without picking through a ton of different mods:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44204

Unfortunately, the idiots still have not made one setup file to handle all the extra supported/recommended mods. The quality of the modding community for NV is nothing like the quality modding community in Oblivion and Baldur's Gate (both of which had or have megamods one could customize/install from a single setup file).

I installed this a few weeks ago and found it to be really stuttery. I tried one of those mods to fix it, but it didn't seem to do much. Anyone have any tips? It was stuttery with both KB/M and a gamepad, which is kind of unusual.

I like all the Fallouts with #3 being my favorite. Can't say I understand some of the NV hate so, I'll attribute it to individual tastes.
I'll load up Witcher 2.. play for 5 minutes.. realize I forgot all the keys and mechanics again, then start new game and run through tutorial again, and then suddenly myself wondering if there isn't something around the house I need to be doing.
This is my reaction also. I liked the first game, but for some reason Witcher 2 just can't keep my attention.

Last edited:
If you're a fan of the series it is a must play. If you're not a fan of the series it is a recommended play. I love the game and think it is better than FO3.

I loved both Fallout 3 and New Vegas,though I'd rate NV as the best of the two. I think the open world RPG type game play is a much needed change from your typical run 'n gun FPS. And the incredible mod support for both games can extend the game's life for months. Compared to other games of it's type,I'd put it just below the STALKER series.

I am running through Fallout 3 with the plan of doing a Tale of Two Wastelands Roleplay where my toon in Fallout 3 will later end up as the courier in New Vegas. Got this idea off of the mod of the same name, and considering I have about 4500 total hours between these two games I figured it would be a fun way to run through both games again. Geez, I love this series! ~grin~

I loved both 3 and NV and never even knew there were mods for them...gonna have to look into that.

If you are looking for a quick "enhanced edition" of the game without picking through a ton of different mods:

Unfortunately, the idiots still have not made one setup file to handle all the extra supported/recommended mods. The quality of the modding community for NV is nothing like the quality modding community in Oblivion and Baldur's Gate (both of which had or have megamods one could customize/install from a single setup file).
Wow, just because the FNV modding community doesn't have one little app/mod, the whole community are idiots?

And what megamod for Oblivion could you customize/install from a single setup file?

I don't know what you're talking about as far as being able to install all Oblivion mods from one setup file.

And it's just really rotten of you to call modders"idiots"... idiots who are working for free out of their shared hobbies to make games better for you. I mean seriously, what the fuck? It's like complaining when your daddy buys you a GT-R because it was the wrong color. People like you give the PC gaming community a bad rep.

What Oblivion megamod/modpacks are actually official/legitimate in the sense that permission was agreed to from all the mod authors who's content is used in it?

I've tried to ask about and search for an equivalent to Morrowind Overhaul for example and could not find one for Oblivion.

Granted, as someone who has worked on game mods before as well, I feel there should be an overall open nature to mod sharing.

What Oblivion megamod/modpacks are actually official/legitimate in the sense that permission was agreed to from all the mod authors who's content is used in it?

I've tried to ask about and search for an equivalent to Morrowind Overhaul for example and could not find one for Oblivion.

Granted, as someone who has worked on game mods before as well, I feel there should be an overall open nature to mod sharing.
FCOM Convergence for Oblivion has official support from the authors of all the core mods included. It is designed to be modular, so there is no official single installation package. There is a group of community members that has created an unofficial singular installation package, though.

Last time I checked months ago there was a complete overhaul in the vein of the Morrowind Overahaul that was in development for Oblivion. All the latest developments on all of these mods can be found on the Bethesda forums.

Sorry for the old bump.

I'm finally going to push myself to play through this game before Fallout 4 is out.

What are the good graphical mods out there?

I never finisheid the game the first time around, I am not looking for gameplay mods or anything, just general graphics/texture mods that make it look more up to date, weather, etc.

Also using the Nexus Mod Manager I am wonderin,g where (or can you even) set it to download the files? I checked settings and couldn't figure out a way to tell it to download the files to "x" directory rather then my c drive, where I have mor elimited space (Damn smal ssds! need a new one bad).

Back