Fallout: New Vegas

NSCTripleAgent

Limp Gawd
Did no one else cop this? Played until 3am last night, loving it so far! Playing on Very Hard with Hardcore mode turned on. It's really challenging (and more realistic) and the story so far is a little more engaging this time around. As a big FO3 fan, jumped right in and was pulled in.

I got it, but since I'm headed out of town for a few days I really only had time to turn it on, install it, and make sure the disk wasn't broken.
I'm definitely a big fan of FO3 (and even the older ones), so I'm psyched to put some time in this weekend.
Even with their flaws, I truly love pretty much anything Bethesda has ever made dating back to the Daggerfall days.

I played it on a friends 360... is it just me or are the graphics awful? I played Fallout 3 on a PC, not a console, so I don't know how they compare, but they just seemed bad to me. I'm going to pick it up on PC tonight, and hopefully it will be a much better looking game.

Played it a bit last night on the PS3, seems pretty good. I mainly just did a bit of exploring last night but I can see this game taking up a bit of my time.;)

I played it on a friends 360... is it just me or are the graphics awful? I played Fallout 3 on a PC, not a console, so I don't know how they compare, but they just seemed bad to me. I'm going to pick it up on PC tonight, and hopefully it will be a much better looking game.

They're pretty much the same, only at a relatively low resolution and framerate locked at 30fps. The PC version *definitely* looks better, but it's no visual gem either. I think the desolate look of Fallout doesn't really lend itself to being a graphical wonder.

Pre-ordered from GameStop for the bonus and I had a $10 off coupon, free shipping means I have to wait until tomorrow :(.

friend suggested fallout 3 to me before playing this one, played fallout for around an hour, didnt like it so i think i'll sit this one out

friend suggested fallout 3 to me before playing this one, played fallout for around an hour, didnt like it so i think i'll sit this one out

This one is better, but FO3 will give you insight into the world. An hour really doesn't do it justice unless you don't like the fundamental gameplay.

And yes, this thing needs a patch, it stutters and has framerate dips. Fortunately, nobody's head is spinning, lol. Playwise, still no complaints though. I wish it was a little harder even...

^ I didnt like the intense amount of reading, and the VAT system. Tried to just play it like an FPS but shooting people in the head didn't really do anything if your gun sucks. The point where I gave up on it is when I got to megaton and it told me to go out and do something and I got lost.

According to the Gamespot review, the game is plagued with bugs across all three platforms.

Yeah, my buddy called me the other night and explained how pissed he was. I was even at his house the first time he played it and within a few minutes the console restarts by itself. Then he said that the game was incredibly laggy at parts and that the graphics looked horrible. Apparently there is a enormous thread somewhere of people complaining of the bugs. In some instances it's not even playable.

^ I didnt like the intense amount of reading, and the VAT system. Tried to just play it like an FPS but shooting people in the head didn't really do anything if your gun sucks. The point where I gave up on it is when I got to megaton and it told me to go out and do something and I got lost.

They're called RPG.

They're pretty much the same, only at a relatively low resolution and framerate locked at 30fps. The PC version *definitely* looks better, but it's no visual gem either. I think the desolate look of Fallout doesn't really lend itself to being a graphical wonder.

I picked it up on PC and there is no contest, it looks a lot better on PC. I expected this, but I am still pleased to be right. I know the enviroment itself doesn't do the game any favors, compared to over games its no graphical masterpiece. It's clear though that the PC version has a huge leg up on the 360.

Your initial stats and stat building can remedy the inaccurate shooting. It's intentional. My FO3 char was a sniper who got critical head shots all day. The reading...idk what to tell you. VATS is nice if you want to take advantage of it, but can be playes FPS style, but to excel I think you need to do some of both.

I picked it up on PC and there is no contest, it looks a lot better on PC. I expected this, but I am still pleased to be right. I know the enviroment itself doesn't do the game any favors, compared to over games its no graphical masterpiece. It's clear though that the PC version has a huge leg up on the 360.

Uhh. it should, it's a PC. Who wouldn't think that?

I snagged the PC version as well. My friend has the 360 version and it look great too, its just that I prefer mouse/kb for Fallout over a controller. Graphics meant little in my decision, though its nice cranking them higher :)

I bought f03 in christmas of 08 and like you got to megaton and was given a quest and lost interest. 3 times I did this, then in june of last year I finally left megaton to complete some quests and encounter some baddies and I was hooked. I played it everyday for about a month straight lol.

Anyway I kinda like the story in this one more and I think its going to be a better game. I'm just upset that I bought the pc version not realizing it wasn't a game for windows, so no achievements for me and no eyefinity as of yet either.....:(

So do you need to play FO3 to play this? Or is this game on is own?

So do you need to play FO3 to play this? Or is this game on is own?

Not really, it stands on its own. There are some references to things in Fallout 3 (as I understand, haven't played yet) but it's a new character, new setting, new storyline.

dying to play this game. played FO3 on ps3. Now just debating if I want to play it on my pc or in my comfy living room on ps3 or xbox. :)

dying to play this game. played FO3 on ps3. Now just debating if I want to play it on my pc or in my comfy living room on ps3 or xbox. :)

if it matters to you, the pipboy controls and interface still suck on the pc. its very clearly a console port. fallout 3 had the same problem.

aside from the higher resolution, it doesn't look that much better on the pc either since the character and textures are not so great. hopefully the gamebryo engine dies with the release of new vegas.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
if it matters to you, the pipboy controls and interface still suck on the pc. its very clearly a console port. fallout 3 had the same problem.

aside from the higher resolution, it doesn't look that much better on the pc either since the character and textures are not so great. hopefully the gamebryo engine dies with the release of new vegas.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

thanks for the heads up. are you playing on xbox or ps3?

i have to say that the first person point of view is much improved in New Vegas compared to Fallout 3. in FO3, even with high gun skills it was next to impossible to shoot someone manually. in New Vegas the camera is much smoother aiming down the sights. killing without using the VATS system is not only now possible, but a fun part of the game.

its more of a FPS RPG now than before, but the precision is still far from what would see in game like CoD.

that said, im about ten hours in and loving it. factions are a nice addition (a la Oblivion). hardcore mode makes it feel like its not just DLC for Fallout 3. i really like the repair changes and ammo building. haven't got much into weapon modding yet, but it sounds nice.

i have to say that the first person point of view is much improved in New Vegas compared to Fallout 3. in FO3, even with high gun skills it was next to impossible to shoot someone manually. in New Vegas the camera is much smoother aiming down the sights. killing without using the VATS system is not only now possible, but a fun part of the game.

its more of a FPS RPG now than before, but the precision is still far from what would see in game like CoD.

that said, im about ten hours in and loving it. factions are a nice addition (a la Oblivion). hardcore mode makes it feel like its not just DLC for Fallout 3. i really like the repair changes and ammo building. haven't got much into weapon modding yet, but it sounds nice.

Very good news. Are you playing on ps3?

Very good news. Are you playing on ps3?

yup, ps3.

also, expect the same issues that plagued oblivion and fallout 3, like glitches and freezing. its already froze on me at least 3 times. IMO, you just have to learn to live with them from Bethesda. save early, save often, right?

yup, ps3.

also, expect the same issues that plagued oblivion and fallout 3, like glitches and freezing. its already froze on me at least 3 times. IMO, you just have to learn to live with them from Bethesda. save early, save often, right?

that's one reason i was considering pc version, i read it has fewer bugs. i got lucky with fallout 3 (on ps3), i never had a freeze, just a few minor glitches.

Last edited:
Finally got to play this a bit yesterday. Bugs are definitely there in full-force. Random floating objects, weird graphical issues with my character's shoulder when holding rifles, quests not starting/ending correctly, etc.
Levels and graphics seem like straight-up ports of the previous game early on.
I'm only a few hours in, but they seem to put you in an area without a ton of pre-ready quests right away. There are a few in the first town and then all of a sudden you're on your own with lots of stuff nearby...but I'm not running into many canned quests. Knowing how glitchy Oblivion and FO3 were when you went into random places before getting a quest to do so...I'm paranoid.

just finished the main quest at level 29 with most locations visited and tons of quests done, the ending was waaay more satisfying than FO3.

playing on ps3, about three hours in, one freeze. no other bugs to speak of yet.

I have about 40 hours on my save and while I really like the game itself, the freezing every hour or so is starting to get to me. I have a friend who is having the same issue (he even paid the extra $$ for collectors edition) and we both feel kinda "meh" about the game due to the crashing.

I, myself have actually stopped playing until things get better. This is one game I am kicking myself for buying the console version instead of PC.

my only complaint is the companions still tend to gravitate toward conflict even when set to passive. its bad enough that lily will travel a mile away from me to attack anything, but all the companions walk directly toward enemies instead of following me when i need to retreat.

I bought the 360 version just because I tend to chat with some of my friends while playing. Glitches/Crashes/Lock-ups galore. A lot of the freezes seem related to buying and selling or swapping inventory among your companions. In at least 2 instances I've been able to duplicate a lock-up over and over.

In terms of the game, I think the difficulty is VERY uneven. Early in the game they essentially surround you with areas that are completely unwinnable, which forces you to take a pretty specific path. Even once you can finally kill Cazadores and Deathclaws...they only give you 55XP each. Seems stupid that I can kill roaming big horners in 1-shot and get the same XP as a creature that kills you in 1-2 hits and takes a shitload of damage. I'm at level 22 and I still hate to see Deathclaws.
Seems like the level cap will be fairly low in this game, too. I'd assume that DLC will add more, but I'd think that you could hit level 30 without even doing more than 2 missions on the main quest...and still have a ton of other quests left, too. While Fallout 1 had room to grow, this one seems to level you up quickly and offers you too many ways to do so.

im at level 26 now and the cazadores and deathclaws are still a challenge, but not if i take them out tactically. with guns at ~70, a .308 hollow point out of a silenced sniper rifle takes down almost all organic targets with one critical hit. the problem comes when the one bullet doesn't take them down and they come swarming in packs. i come from the school of thought where these abominations should be a challenge no matter what level you are at, and they are.

although i do have issue with using deathclaws, etc to funnel me in a certain direction, i dont have a problem with them being difficult to kill even at a high level. another big problem i have with the game is that it is hard to improve your reputation with a faction once it has gone down. i dont know exactly what i did but the NCR hates me to the point they are sending hit squads out, and those NCR veteran rangers are no joke.

Back