Fallout 76's 54GB Day-One Patch Is Bigger than the Actual Game

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Fallout 76 on the PlayStation 4 will require nearly 100GB of hard drive space: while the core game is 45GB, players will have to download a day-one patch that comes in at 54GB. The patch, which is bigger than the actual game, will presumably fix many issues discovered during the beta, including a broken hunger gauge and the sound of random gunshots.

Other fixes in future updates will include the stash size, which some players felt was not large enough in the beta Though it will remain the same as in the beta at launch, there are plans to increase it in the future. Numerous exploits found in the testing phase will also be fixed, alongside the implementation of a push-to-talk option for PC players.

And for people that live in Rural areas with crap internet and very crap data caps can spend their whole month of data on one PATCH. WTF

If anyone still has such crappy internet service they should just move...

Though I guess spaceX's internet service should be up in a few years time

I can see them just being cheap and not including a 2nd disc like RDR2. If the entire game is 100gb then they just forcing us to download the rest. Just another trash game from a trash developer in the end.

Damn they can't make a mp game for shit, you know its going to suck when they can't even get basic general mp shit right like push to talk.

Maybe all you people with shit ISPs should do something about it, call local congressmen etc.

The problem isn't game sizes being too big, it's your terrible ISPs. Seems to be mostly a problem in the USA as well...

Maybe all you people with shit ISPs should do something about it, call local congressmen etc.

The problem isn't game sizes being too big, it's your terrible ISPs. Seems to be mostly a problem in the USA as well...

It would be a problem anywhere that has the landmass and population distribution that we do.

You're right, I suppose. There is a price to pay for living in castles in an environment of our choosing.

Unfortunately in the USA calling your congressmen doesnt do much good since most of them are being paid big money by the telecom companies to keep anti consumer practices in place.

Complete lack of quality control with the initial product. Released too early so as to make a buck would be my guess and then make the customer/gamer suffer for it.
This is not a good go to market strategy for long term survival and profitability IMO.

For console weenies it will be a full download. For the master race it will be a small patch to what we have now. ;)

Yeah I really feel this is more of an internet connection issue than a game issue. I want patches to be as big as they need to be. Even crap DSL connections these days still usually have a 1TB cap. If you thought it was a good idea to game on a satellite connection or an "unlimited" 4G hotspot, that's on you. Yes, there are downsides to living in the absolute middle of nowhere, but that's not the game developer's fault, nor something the rest of us should have to suffer for. Gigabit internet will be standard soon, and 54GB is about the size of a single 4K movie, get with the times.

If anyone still has such crappy internet service they should just move...

Though I guess spaceX's internet service should be up in a few years time

Don't you guys have phones?! Jeez. Just move and get better internet.

Sounds like Marie Antionette style stuff. Crappy internet? Just move. It's easy.

Boycott Bethesda

They used to be a will buy/preorder company that released high quality games at launch. Now, they are the wait and see. Very few companies remain on the list of companies I trust to put out a solid, reliable game at launch.

really?
maybe they should stop releasing crap broken games that require a freaking PATCH twice the size of the game itself.... ON DAY ONE no less.

im sorry, but no, you are 100% dead wrong- its not crap ISPs that are the problem (even though they ARE a problem).

stop being an enabler for them to keep doing this. you're part of the problem

They used to be a will buy/preorder company that released high quality games at launch. Now, they are the wait and see. Very few companies remain on the list of companies I trust to put out a solid, reliable game at launch.

i dont think there is such a company anymore.

.....sad

Haven't other gaming companies done something similar to prevent people who crack games from having the complete code at or before launch?

really?
maybe they should stop releasing crap broken games that require a freaking PATCH twice the size of the game itself.... ON DAY ONE no less.
im sorry, but no, you are 100% dead wrong- its not crap ISPs that are the problem (even though they ARE a problem).
stop being an enabler for them to keep doing this. you're part of the problem

Nah I'm not part of the problem. Bethesda releases broken games, that's what they do. The game being large is just another of their issues.

Here's my gripe, people always seem to complain about games getting bigger year after year(inflation?) but their DL caps stay the same and they blame devs solely. You want tiny games for your puny 'net cap? Go play old games.

I'm sorry you live in a place/country that has terrible internet. Try doing something about it, or leaving to someplace that's better. All I see is people bitching, finger waving and nothing being done.

But hey, I live in Ontario where there's plenty of competition. Seems many places don't like that word.

And for people that live in Rural areas with crap internet and very crap data caps can spend their whole month of data on one PATCH. WTF
Worst part is when you have to travel to a friends place. You get it, then you get home and there is another 70gb all of a sudden from some random game. Fun times.

I don't. Because if they bought the game, than they pre-ordered it. And I never have any sympathy for those that do that.

Please allow me to introduce myself! Sympathy is important and I bought it when it became available. Very pleased indeed that I did.

and thats why computer games should be developed on computers and played on computers like they did back in the 90s and early 2000s . Just put the dumbed down version on the console

Worst part is when you have to travel to a friends place. You get it, then you get home and there is another 70gb all of a sudden from some random game. Fun times.

Yeah I'm way out in the sticks, with an Unlimited Shaw account. ;) Friends come by and visit while their laptop sucks up the files and a pleasant evening will easily do a 50G game. ;)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back