Fallout 76 Reveals Co-Op Play and Details

I never used any mods in FO4. Never felt like I needed them. However, after the story and all the DLC, I didn't play any longer. I did hunt down a few of the suits.

I'm interested. My group is always looking for the next game to jump into, might as well be a franchise I already hold dear. Cautiously optimistic, and all that jazz.

all this reveal did was depress me, a game where the only characters are people and all those people can murder you. solo play but online only. The only thing I see is trolls and people that loved the pvp in Diablo 1. First fallout game since Fallout 1, I do not want to preorder. Will not be playing this game.

all this reveal did was depress me, a game where the only characters are people and all those people can murder you. solo play but online only. The only thing I see is trolls and people that loved the pvp in Diablo 1. First fallout game since Fallout 1, I do not want to preorder. Will not be playing this game.
We can only hope there'll be a fallout 5 without all the online bullshit. And they don't fuck up elder scrolls 6 like this.
Stupid kids ruin every online game.

Wanderer ain't going to be much lonelier anymore.

The Lone Wanderers. Wait, how do you pluralize the Lone Wanderer? Extra points if you can get the movie reference.

Last edited:
My issue is the locked gamebryo console. The main attractiveness of Bethesda games, in general, is at any time you can self-fix just about any issue. Without access to that very powerful console system, any and all bugs are forever. Bethesda(with a shit track record for bug fixing) is making a very dangerous decision that will probably end badly for them.

Also, I'm not entirely sure they understand their own sales pitch. "You can play your own way". "People can nuke you at any time" do not exist in the same realm of possibility. All in all, they are taking away the singular Bethesda pluses and promising a vague mash of mediocre to fill those voids. We'll see in November if they pull it off.. Until then I remain sceptical.

Im one of the few looking forward to this. Worried a little about griefing but if the map is as big as they say it might be rare running into others.

Would love to play with a small handful of friends roaming a wasteland.

So this could be good... but more tha likely it will be a trash fucking Arc/Rust/Day Z/Conan Exiles "survival mmo". I.E garbage designed to cater to asshat streamers and the morons who watch them. Can't wait to exit the vault with nothing but the clothes on my back and immediately get killed, camped and tea bagged for 14 hours straight by a team of 12 junior sociopaths playing out their personal fantasy of murdering helpless people because LUL emergent game play is fun.

Jesus fucking Christ Bethesda you already fucked up ESO now Fallout too. Look all anyone wants is Elder Scrolls/Fallout but you can play with your friends, Hell ESO would have been ok (I actually love traditional mmo's not sandbox survival trash) if 1. you actually had a reason to group and 2. it was forced 1st person and/or pvp was just duels but no lets keep all the shit parts of mmo's (pointless grinding hollow story) and kill of the parts people like (challenging content designed to be overcome with friends playing with others in a meaningful way).

Sandbox Survival MMO is a trash genre for lazy, garbage, developers who can't be bothered to make real content. It's the equivalent of that one kid at school who's ww2 diorama was just plastic army men in a box of dirt.

So this could be good... but more tha likely it will be a trash fucking Arc/Rust/Day Z/Conan Exiles "survival mmo". I.E garbage designed to cater to asshat streamers and the morons who watch them. Can't wait to exit the vault with nothing but the clothes on my back and immediately get killed, camped and tea bagged for 14 hours straight by a team of 12 junior sociopaths playing out their personal fantasy of murdering helpless people because LUL emergent game play is fun.

Or, as I commented last night (perhaps on the other F:76 thread - "How to role-play as the Raider faction"... with !@#$% nukes
I'm frightened to think what the server worlds will be like, launch +90 days. My bet is 'Darktide' but with the addition of 'Strange Meat'

this "100 percent committed" will be tested to the extreme, we will see how committed they really are.

You mean limited support through their own service?

Sure, if all you like are armored crab skins it’ll be good.

The pre orders for PC are sold out along with the 200.00 collectors box

If you check ebay there is a whole lot of the Fallout 76 items.

Last edited:
Well they could give us custom private servers for modded games.. LAN... etc.

From what Kyle just posted it sounds like its more ark than ESO for a planned model. The servers themselves are persistent only in regards to that server. It's conjecture but that sounds like players will be able to spawn privatized servers and custom set rules and files.

Honestly, that would effectively make Fallout 76 a Co-Op Fallout 4. That might actually deliver on promises and would still allow for local console control. Given what we know of gamebryo that also defacto allows for custom rule sets(unless disabled obviously). IE PVP disabled servers for people who dislike the nuke mechanic.

Im just confused as to why Super Mutants are on the east coast 25 years after the war? During this time isnt The Master just starting to make them? We need answers Beth.....

And...online, so there goes the modding community that kept Fallout (and ES games) selling for years after release, and kept them installed. That's every bit as huge a drawback as online is a positive.

Wonder what the numbers are like on pirate "losses" of their offline games?

Wait, why does online mean no mods? Many many games support custom servers and mods for online play so I have no idea why you think one excludes the other?

I'm not sure BGS fully understands the hazards of PvP open world survival games, particularly ones where you have a persistent, destroyable base.

I bet this'll sell well (at first), but I also bet it'll turn into a troll haven.

I didn't see anything about PvP, only COOP, got a pointer?

EDIT: I see it now, had to do my own digging. A lot of guesses going on though, like the statement about no mods, it's just the author's thoughts on it without anything from Bethesda.

Last edited:
Im just confused as to why Super Mutants are on the east coast 25 years after the war? During this time isnt The Master just starting to make them? We need answers Beth.....

Not sure if the "East Coast" section of the Enclave was active (namely, John Henry Eden & Co.) during this time with FEV experiments, as well as the Institute's own research into that area.
25 years after the war does seem to be a bit quick, relative to the other Fallout games.

Fallout 76 talk after the 6min mark.

Some things Todd confirmed for 76:

- No offline
- There is a quest line
- Quests through robots, terminals, holotapes
- Playing 'Solo' will still have you seeing other players
- No NPCs, excluding robots, zombies
- There will be incentives for aggressive players and ignoring players
- PvP is still being tweaked to avoid greifing
- VATS is present in real time
- They are working on a service so that you can have your own private world where you can mod it, available some time after launch

Last edited:
Just finished watching all the E3 footage. Dude said if you wanna solo, it's all there. If you wanna coop, sounds like you click a button, and then you coop. Small "servers" with just a few peeps instead of hundreds or thousands.
This sounds like a bad ass idea, and I'm super excited.

My background is in programming and I know a little bit about server aggregation and instancing as it relates to online games. My question is, after spending all this time developing a huge Fallout open world with all the Fallout quests and story line, why wouldn't Bethesda take the smallest, tiniest baby step and make the game available for true solo play? I don't mind that it has to be an online game, and I don't mind that there are no NPC cities. For me to be all in on this game, the only things that I would want are a promise for future mods, true solo play, and the ability to find and attract some NPCs to live in my outposts (like Fallout 4). Those pieces are ALL THERE, it would take almost nothing to add them. After spending all this money on development why wouldn't Bethesda make the game the total package for every kind of player? You could even make a true Battle Royale system with hidden name tags and base work that you could do offline to prepare for matches - then your game would have covered every form of audience possible.

I'd eventually try all of them, but for my first play through I want to be alone to discover the world and enjoy it as a true Lone Wanderer.

Last edited:
- No NPCs, excluding robots
I thought they confirmed all kinds of NPC bad guys. Just that PvP can be bad guys as well. In fact, they laid out quests that can be done solo. I doubt they are just counting on another player being there.

"there are no NPCs"
"every character you see is a real person, but there are still robots, terminals, holotapes."

Sounds like technically no NPCs aside from robots and zombies, and there is no real escaping there being other players in the beginning.

Also, Skyrim on Alexa is a real thing.
Yeah, zombies and mutants is my point.

My issue is the locked gamebryo console. The main attractiveness of Bethesda games, in general, is at any time you can self-fix just about any issue. Without access to that very powerful console system, any and all bugs are forever. Bethesda(with a shit track record for bug fixing) is making a very dangerous decision that will probably end badly for them.

Also, I'm not entirely sure they understand their own sales pitch. "You can play your own way". "People can nuke you at any time" do not exist in the same realm of possibility. All in all, they are taking away the singular Bethesda pluses and promising a vague mash of mediocre to fill those voids. We'll see in November if they pull it off.. Until then I remain sceptical.

I used the console a lot in F4 (900+ hours play time). When sorting out settlements I used it to clean out junk that the developers had stuck in stupid places for no reason. Like a un-scrappable sofa, rocks or car right in the centre of the build area. Also for finding settlers that vanish and many other bugs...

"Private Servers will happen" in that case I'll wait for that and just sit on my own...on my own.

My background is in programming and I know a little bit about server aggregation and instancing as it relates to online games. My question is, after spending all this time developing a huge Fallout open world with all the Fallout quests and story line, why wouldn't Bethesda take the smallest, tiniest baby step and make the game available for true solo play? I don't mind that it has to be an online game, and I don't mind that there are no NPC cities. For me to be all in on this game, the only things that I would want are a promise for future mods, true solo play, and the ability to find and attract some NPCs to live in my outposts (like Fallout 4). Those pieces are ALL THERE, it would take almost nothing to add them. After spending all this money on development why wouldn't Bethesda make the game the total package for every kind of player? You could even make a true Battle Royale system with hidden name tags and base work that you could do offline to prepare for matches - then your game would have covered every form of audience possible.

I'd eventually try all of them, but for my first play through I want to be alone to discover the world and enjoy it as a true Lone Wanderer.

As a former AAA designer, I can tell you why they went this route:

Money. And time.

Scripted content is labor intensive (and bug prone) and requires a huge commitment to regression testing (even with Bethesda's track record, they actually do spend a lot of time and money on QA), writing and recording branching dialogue (or even flat dialogue) is very time consuming (and voice talent is not cheap, even if they don't use SAG/AFTRA actors) and can be a serious bottleneck for scripted gameplay development.

And of course, account-based online-only precludes any and all piracy, and if modding does come, it comes entirely under the control of Bethesda, which means complete control of the income stream.

Also keep in mind that Bethesda has Starfield under development as well as TES6, and that has to be eating a lot of staffing, but they still want/need a big franchise release for 2018, so the leaner, cheaper, more rapid development F76 was probably very appealing to the suits and marketing folks when it was pitched.

My biggest hope is that F76 is just an interim title taking advantage of the IP popularity and existing F4 assets, and that a full-fat, story-driven Fallout 5 will still be a thing sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about PvP, only COOP, got a pointer?

EDIT: I see it now, had to do my own digging. A lot of guesses going on though, like the statement about no mods, it's just the author's thoughts on it without anything from Bethesda.

Official information is scarce, but you literally shoot and nuke other players in the trailer. Those aren't NPCs, nothing ambiguous about that :p

As for mods, anything gameplay related will indeed be impossible on public servers. It doesn't take an official statement to deduce that.

But purely visual mods (particularly new textures, which are super popular in other BGS games) are totally up in the air, and theoretically possible. Private server gameplay mods may be possible too, if there are private servers. So yeah, people kind of jumped the gun on that.

There was a great quote about all of this on FARK...
"76 is basically a straight-up admission that they created a game engine and art assets, then punted on actually making a game with it."
/mood there is at least 80% against these changes
// #NOTMYFALLOUT

Back