Fallout 76 is Allegedly Easy to Hack

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a thread on Reddit, Fallout 76 largely resembles Fallout 4 internally, which makes it relatively easy to hack. The game reportedly does no file integrity checking before launching, critical features like collision detection run client side, and client/server communication is largely unencrypted. The poster cites a relatively innocuous mod that was already uploaded to the Nexus, which shows you the "sweet spot" in Bethesda's lockpicking minigame. Angry Reddit threads like this pop up all the time, but what makes this one particularly interesting is Bethesda's official response on IGN. While they say that "many" of the claims are untrue, they don't outright deny them either, and even single one of those listed issues could be devastating to the final game.

"Many of the claims in the thread are either inaccurate or based on incorrect assumptions. The community has however called to attention several issues that our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for. Our goal is always to deliver a great experience for all our players. Cheating or hacking will not be tolerated. We know our fan base is passionate about modding and customizing their experience in our worlds and it's something we intend to support down the road."

they seem to be using this line "our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for." a lot lately.. lol you'd think that given how little effort they put into updating the engine they would of had plenty of time fixing the obvious flaws.

they seem to be using this line "our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for." a lot lately.. lol you'd think that given how little effort they put into updating the engine they would of had plenty of time fixing the obvious flaws.

Thing is, if any of this is true, they don't have time to fix it without a big delay.

The speedhack fix is relatively trivial (just cap the framerate at 60 FPS, or implement the ini fix Skyrim modders already made). These issues don't have quick and easy fixes, as far as I can tell.

They are taking a beating in the news lately for this game.......It sounds like it could turn into a large dumpster fire if they don't get serious with fixing the bugs and take a good long look at design....client side collision...never a good idea for an online only game.

I seem to remember a TES project to inject multiplayer into Oblivion, I believe they had a ton of problems getting the gamebryo engine to work well with netcode.

You aren't fixing substantial netcode issues in like a week.

rip fallout 76

They should just port it to andriod/ios

latest?cb=20180121063901.jpg

All you need is the Yao Guai Roast for unlimited damage. There is no way they patched that yet.

This will be good. By the time they have some of these fixes in I can pick up the game for 10 bucks and tinker with it. Like a month after release maybe?

They need to delay it a couple years and actually fix this game. But no they need to push this broken ass piece of shit game for the holiday season.

I have canceled my preorder. This game looks like a mess and I have too much to play anyway.
Preordered it only because I grew up playing Fallout 1 & 2.

Don't worry folks, Bethesda's legal team is already on it.

Instead of fixing the problem, they will just sue the "problem"

If dogmeat starts rubber banding in your game, expect a court order by the end of the week.

Edit: when they said "forever" they meant modders will keep it alive forever... just like Morrowind and its eternal list of bugs...

Bethesda has a long LONG standing tradition of making bug ridden games. I remember some of the original Elder Scrolls games... they were.. rife with bugs. Don't be too surprised this is as well. Only difference is they are throwing their hat into the multiplayer arena where the bugs SHOULD NOT BE.

So from reading all this, Fallout 76 is basically just Rust reskinned.

As someone that was in the stress test then the beta tests, they have made milestone obvious improvements each iteration. It sounds like something they could easily fix before launch
a. add encryption between client/server
b. add file integrity checks

Collision detection is probably something that would take longer to make server side.

In a year this game will be awesome. It will be $10, be modable, and the only people playing it will be die hard fallout fans or fans coming back to try a new mod. And the best part will be that fall out 4 and newvegas will still have a higher average daily player count.

cant say i am really surprised. It would be near impossible to take the code base for a PURE single player game and make it MP, which is what they seem to be doing. its a quicker, and cheaper method, then developing it from the ground up as a MP game, but its gonna be ugly.

It's not a 'hack', it's a mod. Just like all the other mods out for FO:4.

If it's online, it is susceptible to being hacked.

These hackers need to be stoned to death.

Companies are losing countless dollars to these jerks.

The issue is gamebryo. Both the blessing of modders everywhere and the bane of security. It's an open console with on the fly editing capability of pretty much any setting in the game at any time. Locking down something that powerful is damned near impossible.
The engine itself is actually quite robust and powerful minus papyrus(never enough memory).

Honestly, I view the entire Fallout 76 development to be a live product test they hope will pay for itself. Think about it... It's basically an evolution to early access where they can take 2-3 years to beta test co-op functionality for FO5. It even helps marketing wise.. FO76 fails and sucks but "lessons learned and reduced scope" make FO5 another game of the year with another billion-dollar payday.

This game is going to be a disaster.

I'll decide that for myself, when it goes live.

I have a couple of hours so far in the Beta, and so far I'm OK with it, although to be honest, I haven't seen a lot of it yet.

But trust me when I tell you, no one else will be making my opinion for me.

In a year this game will be awesome. It will be $10, be modable, and the only people playing it will be die hard fallout fans or fans coming back to try a new mod. And the best part will be that fall out 4 and newvegas will still have a higher average daily player count.

If you let the difference between $10 and $60 dollars get in the way of your gaming enjoyment, you need to drop PC gaming and stick to a PS4 or X-Box whatever.

Well no shit. They should have never made MMO game with this engine, it was a bad idea right from the start. Gamebryo was designed to be easily "hackable", moddable that is. But that also means that it is basically held together by duct tape, it falls apart with a slightly wrong nudge. It was never meant to be used in a bloody MMO.

I'd be interested in Fallout 76 if it had Co-op for just me and my friends, random hooligans from the internet? No fucking thanks.

You get what you deserve if you continue to support this shitty developer and their shitty engine.

If you let the difference between $10 and $60 dollars get in the way of your gaming enjoyment, you need to drop PC gaming and stick to a PS4 or X-Box whatever.
Lol what? Did you just trash talk someone for wanting to save money? Did you preorder a 2080 Ti too? Telling someone to move from pc to console cause they don't have $60 for every game they want is dumb af, we all know games are more expensive on consoles then there is online subscription service. Don't be such an uppidy elitists.

ROTFLMFAO! Its ran really well today. I'm sure I can detect an echo in here ... ;)

Played for almost 2hrs today, Didnt find a single person on.

With the latest update, the delay from when you shoot, to when the mob dies is terrible..

Played for almost 2hrs today, Didnt find a single person on.

With the latest update, the delay from when you shoot, to when the mob dies is terrible..
There is something weird going on. My play was the best I've seen, no lag and not one hitch today. Yet many people with much better processors and less resolution than mine are suffering stuttering and the lag you experienced today. I have a GTX 1070 with 6G memory and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am running full screen as well. I found that was definitely better.

Everyone I know that has played Fallout 76 so far has said "Don't waste your money."

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It's not the money, it is that the game will suck until it is fixed. Why buy a fresh smelly piece of shit now when you can get the polished turd in a year, regardless of what it costs.

Back