Fallout 4

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
Almost finished 2nd play through with different factions. Looks like this one is gonna be "kill them all and let god sort them out" one.

The settlement are the most annoying part of them game. I'd assume if their defense is up, they won't annoy me with 'oh, my buddy got kidnapped, ghouls/raiders/mutants are harassing us", but nope. Each settlement gets 4 quests like that it is a huge grind to keep them happy.
But with 100+ defense you can simply ignore the requests to assist with settlement attacks - the enemies just get ground up to pieces by turrets.

Are you skipping all the side quests? The game has only been out a week and in theory has hundreds of hours of content with all the side quests ... it will take me forever to complete my first play through since I try to complete all tasks for games that will let me ... I didn't do that on FO3 since I maxed my character and at that point I just pushed through to finish ... with this game and the unlimited leveling I will return to the methodical approach and just sweep areas clean

That said, I restarted the beginning sequence three times before I had a character build I liked ... now I am level 5 but only on the Sanctuary settlement tasks

Armenius

Fully [H]
nnot to get off topic but my only complain of NV was the perk every other level. Modded that shit out really fast.
With all the DLC you got 25 total perks by the end, which was 4 fewer than Fallout 3. I liked it better because it meant your character was never going to be god tier by the end. It leads to a lot more variety in character development and how you play. Being a min-max kind of person, I forced myself to play one way in Fallout 3 in order to get the best build. There is more ambiguity in this regard when playing New Vegas, in that the "best" build will be dependent on the equipment you want to use and how you will interact with NPCs.

I kind of like the idea of no level cap in FO4. It means that your character never stops growing. But I also dislike the idea that if enough time is put in your character can have it all. I am liking that it was balanced with the need for modifiers in the magazines you read and the equipment you craft, though, without a complete reliance on SPECIAL. I'll have to wait and see what I think by the end of my first playthrough before making a final judgment on the loss of skills.

With that said: does anyone have an idea yet of what level the typical player will be once finished playing the game as of now?

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
How in the hell are people almost finishing second playthroughs already?

I did not do every single quest, obviously. On 1st play through (~28 hours) I did minutemen story line, blew the shit up, did some side quests, etc.
On 2nd play thru I've decided to do a different build, different faction, different quests. Again, most likely won't do every single one, won't clear every single location by the end of the main story line. That the after party.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
For AMD users the new drivers have optimizations for Fallout 4 and other games. Also there is a Crossfire workaround. Hope this helps someone with their game's performance.

AMD Catalyst™ 15.11.1 Beta Driver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 15.11.1 Beta Windows Driver
Performance Optimizations
Includes quality and performance optimizations for the following titles:
Star Wars™: Battlefront
Fallout 4
Assassin's Creed® Syndicate
Call of Duty® : Black Ops III

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
how do you upgarde the damage to your gun?

/noob

with that said, this is my first FO4 and i love it. haven't been into a SP game in years. few bugs but the game runs great so for me so far. 10 hours in level 12 i think?

there are several things i'm not doing right i'm sure but it's been fun. quicksave is a blessing. i do need to learn about apparel/armor. i've been running around for a few days now in underwear and chest armor only. fail

Yeah, receiver is the one that increases damage to a gun. Long type barrels will increase range and accuracy as will sights. Gun Nut is what you want to invest points in to get the very best in gun upgrades. I took a regular hunting rifle and did the upgrades and it can one shot many mobs/baddies in the game. You don't have to wait for the better guns later in the game to kill things if you build up your own guns through upgrades.

For those complaining about the game wait till the modders start cranking out good mods. Its going to greatly enhance the game. :D

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
You don't have to wait for the better guns later in the game to kill things if you build up your own guns through upgrades.

Yeah, Gun Nut + Science + non-auto pistol perks turn the starter 10mm pistol into a killer weapon. The only better replacement is an upgraded Deliverer gun, but it only comes with glow sights. I did not even bother with energy weapons on my 2nd pt.

yourgrandma

[H]ard|Gawd
In summary, Fallout 4 lacks the RPG elements of previous Fallout games. The game ages quickly after what seems to be a cool intro and a good start. The first couple hours of the game feels enjoyable, but when you want to dig deeper, there's nothing to dig. By that time you've already done and seen everything this game has to offer. I'd give this game a 4/10 and that's me being generous..
Couldn't agree more, they didn't even attempt to improve on what actually matters in a game like this and they made most of the elements worse. It's amazing the trash people will defend as long as the 'gun play' is good.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Don't get me wrong. There's a lot to Fallout 4 I like and I'm happy with... I just think New Vegas brought some things to the table that I wish Bethesda had shamelessly adopted and brought up and forward into this game.

Interestingly, I could never get into New Vegas the way I did FO3. I tried twice, and on the second run I got a dozen or so hours in and it just never clicked. I didn't like how barren the landscape was (felt like you were walking forever just to get to anything halfway interesting) and the ammo crafting system was overly complicated and too micro-managey. Having to repair weapons and armor constantly was also a hassle and a mechanic that was not needed IMO.

FO4 does have flaws...I don't like how the dialogue system is handled mechanically, it would be nice to have some sort of ammo crafting but maybe have it be tied to Workshop stuff and less fiddly, and the settlement system could use a lot better tutorial to explain some of the mechanics.

That said, the way they did the SPECIAL and Perks system is a huge improvement. Combat feels a lot better and the weapon and armor mod system are pretty cool. VATS is fine, I rarely used it in both games so I could take or leave the changes to it.

Overall the thing I am most disappointed with in FO4, honestly, is the graphics, which I know will be fixed eventually but it'd be nice to have that sooner rather than later as I put dozens of hours into it. They need to tweak God Rays below Ultra to not look like garbage (it's possible, dozens of other games do it and don't take a 50% performance hit) and overall clean up some performance and clipping issues. But I have faith that it will get there.

Regarding the comments about it not being an RPG....honestly I don't really care about that, if I wanted to play an RPG I would play Witcher 3 or something. As long as the story is halfway decent I'm fine with what it is.

D4rkn3ss

2[H]4U
Couldn't agree more, they didn't even attempt to improve on what actually matters in a game like this and they made most of the elements worse. It's amazing the trash people will defend as long as the 'gun play' is good.

buuuh, because they dont hold your hand to the side/unmarked quests right? because it still doesnt have an online written guide to all the side/unmarked quests so youre stuck at sanctuary and the main and a few sidequests right you baby? you simply dont know waht to do, right? go cry to your mama.

Pringle

2[H]4U

The settlement features and immensely improved gun play more than make up for the shallower RPG elements this time around. It's a different game, much like NV and F3 were.

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
Interestingly, I could never get into New Vegas the way I did FO3. I tried twice, and on the second run I got a dozen or so hours in and it just never clicked. I didn't like how barren the landscape was (felt like you were walking forever just to get to anything halfway interesting) and the ammo crafting system was overly complicated and too micro-managey. Having to repair weapons and armor constantly was also a hassle and a mechanic that was not needed IMO.

FO4 does have flaws...I don't like how the dialogue system is handled mechanically, it would be nice to have some sort of ammo crafting but maybe have it be tied to Workshop stuff and less fiddly, and the settlement system could use a lot better tutorial to explain some of the mechanics.

That said, the way they did the SPECIAL and Perks system is a huge improvement. Combat feels a lot better and the weapon and armor mod system are pretty cool. VATS is fine, I rarely used it in both games so I could take or leave the changes to it.

Overall the thing I am most disappointed with in FO4, honestly, is the graphics, which I know will be fixed eventually but it'd be nice to have that sooner rather than later as I put dozens of hours into it. They need to tweak God Rays below Ultra to not look like garbage (it's possible, dozens of other games do it and don't take a 50% performance hit) and overall clean up some performance and clipping issues. But I have faith that it will get there.

Regarding the comments about it not being an RPG....honestly I don't really care about that, if I wanted to play an RPG I would play Witcher 3 or something. As long as the story is halfway decent I'm fine with what it is.

NV was odd because the first 1/4 or so of the game is VERY SLOW...it seems to take forever to get over to where new vegas actually is.

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
removed quote of deleted post - Oldie

how can you compare a turn based rpg to this?

I mean, is FO4 really even supposed to be an RPG? I don't really consider it one. I don't really even consider FO3/NV an RPG, obviously more so than FO4 but still. they are pretty much open world FPS games with some branching paths and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Porter_

[H]F Junkie
im on my first still at 100 hours in, and ive only done 2 main quests.. there is just so much to do / explore...

you put 100 hours in in a single week?! no shaming here, just impressed with your commitment :D

D4rkn3ss

2[H]4U
ah yes lol, besides annoying me for more stuff they asked me to be their living jesus, i refused of course. i'll probably get back at the sanctuary stuff once i finish this clusterfucked galore of sidequests that im doing heh :D

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
FO4s perk chart alone, has more depth than the entire Battlefront game. SMH. The whole time playing BF, I was thinking about my settlements. lol what does this mean??
Am I bad guy?

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's not be posting spoilers guys..... That's fucked up, don't be an asshat

As for the graphics, I think they're good and I'm on medium settings at 1080. At first I didn't think they were THAT much better then the previous games, until I checked out some screenshots of FO3 and NV to remind me. 4 looks immensely better.

Pringle

2[H]4U
s.

Go play age of decadence it shows you what a real rpg is for is a fps with rpg light elements but its fun for what it is but its so dam simple cs fnv its sad

First of all; fuck your spoilers.

Second of all; Age of Decadence? Really? "Let's compare this stapler with a door!"

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness

They didn't try to make it a hardcore RPG but that isn't a very big market either ... whether you like the changes they made, they have made the game more accessible to a wider audience than any of the previous FO games ... I think there is enough light RPG to make the game interesting and give it some diversity in playing types, but these new FO games are more about the action and environment than the RPG (which won't suit everyone but will introduce the franchise to a wider audience)

CEpeep

Supreme [H]ardness
NV was odd because the first 1/4 or so of the game is VERY SLOW...it seems to take forever to get over to where new vegas actually is.

It's like that on purpose, and it's only your first time. On any subsequent playthroughs, you can just snipe the Cazadors and go through the canyon, or get the Stealth Boy out of the school safe and sneak past the Deathclaws in the quarry. Vegas in 5 minutes flat.

Bethesda clearly took a nod from Obsidian in making you start at the edge of the map this time. This kind of game works better when the player doesn't start in the middle.

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
Go play age of decadence it shows you what a real rpg is for is a fps with rpg light elements but its fun for what it is but its so dam simple cs fnv its sad

So you are comparing a turn based isometric RPG that will be lucky to sell 1 million units over its life to a franchise FPS/RPG that will probably sell 15-20 million in its life :confused: ... aren't you kind of answering your own question on why Beth made changes that made the game more accessible to the widest possible audience

tunatime

Well...OK
So you are comparing a turn based isometric RPG that will be lucky to sell 1 million units over its life to a franchise FPS/RPG that will probably sell 15-20 million in its life :confused: ... aren't you kind of answering your own question on why Beth made changes that made the game more accessible to the widest possible audience

No I'm saying fo4 is fun for what it is but lost 50% of its rpg feel vs fnv. Fnv felt like a fallout game and a rpg fo4 doesnt. But some of the quests and locations have that whacky fallout feel

And I uesed aod as your chooses matter in that game you could beat the game.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
So is anyone else here using the iFPSClamp=60 tweak?

I thought I had my stuttering fixed earlier but getting near Diamond city it become noticable. I tried everything under the sun to stop it, the ipresentinterval tweak, running in borderless windowed, vsync on/off via nvida control panel.

None of it seemed to work until I tried adding the iFPSClamp=60 to the fallout4.ini under the general section.

After this my stuttering stopped. I also seem to remember this being thei magic line that worked for both Fallout 3 and NV with it's stuttering back in tihe day.

However I have seen some people talk about it bugging things, including having npc's randomly go missing or other bugs, so I am a bit worried about using it.

Anyone else here try it and have any issues?

I just wish developers in general would STOP tying their engines to freaking fps, it was terrible in Dark Souls and it's terrible in any game period, your fps should NOT have any affect on the actual engine and how things behave or work (IE physics, speed, etc).

MavericK

Zero Cool
I kind of like the idea of no level cap in FO4. It means that your character never stops growing. But I also dislike the idea that if enough time is put in your character can have it all.

Yeah but given the number of perks and ranks wouldn't that be around level 250 or something? Doesn't seem that realistic on a single character.

But probably around 100 or less you can have most of what you want for a given build, which seems fair.

yourgrandma

[H]ard|Gawd
buuuh, because they dont hold your hand to the side/unmarked quests right? because it still doesnt have an online written guide to all the side/unmarked quests so youre stuck at sanctuary and the main and a few sidequests right you baby? you simply dont know waht to do, right? go cry to your mama.

You're joking right, this game is casual as fuck. It's literally baby's first RPG.

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Ooh, this looks good. Have a Deathclaw, SuperMutant, Synth, Cat, or other creatures as a companion: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/696/?

PCGamer article: http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-mod-lets-you-have-most-creatures-as-a-companion-even-a-cat/

Thanks to the Creature Follower ESP Version mod on NexusMods, you can recruit Deathclaws, Yao Guais, both generation one and two Synths, Mutant Hounds, Super Mutant Behemoths, Raider Dogs, Gorillas, Radscorpions, Vicious Dogs and... cats. All have full companion features according to the mod description, except relationship dialogue. Oh, and the cat can't fight, which is very unlike cats, but we can manage.

Last edited:

Erebus

2[H]4U
Well, I'm just about 40 hours in. I think I mistakenly went into FO4 hoping it would be "as good as or better" than Witcher 3, but now I'm starting to realize that the games really cannot be compared in the same way. W3 (to me) is clearly a better RPG, with amazing character development, morally ambiguous choices, great atmosphere, story, etc etc. FO4 is just a really good apocalypse sandbox with some NPCs thrown in to give the game world a little more atmosphere. If I go into it thinking about it that way I am satisfied with the game and what it is trying to do. If I start trying to compare it to a story driven game like W3 then I start to get down on it, but I don't think that is what they were going for.

D4rkn3ss

2[H]4U
Well, I'm just about 40 hours in. I think I mistakenly went into FO4 hoping it would be "as good as or better" than Witcher 3, but now I'm starting to realize that the games really cannot be compared in the same way. W3 (to me) is clearly a better RPG, with amazing character development, morally ambiguous choices, great atmosphere, story, etc etc. FO4 is just a really good apocalypse sandbox with some NPCs thrown in to give the game world a little more atmosphere. If I go into it thinking about it that way I am satisfied with the game and what it is trying to do. If I start trying to compare it to a story driven game like W3 then I start to get down on it, but I don't think that is what they were going for.

agree, also people who didnt like fallout 3 will dislike this one the same way, i for one loved fallout 3

NickJames

Supreme [H]ardness
survival isnt that much harder than any other difficulty, i literally beat it without taking a single perk just to see if it could be done

Out of my 5 gamer friends only 2 of them have managed to get into FO4. The other ones have an incredibly difficult time with this sort of RPG.

Face it people, this generation has grown up to be more and more casual and the typical gamer does not handle games like Fallout well. You can't just make balls to the wall difficulty games anymore, people don't like that. Be glad we still have games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls who sell to a niche audience.

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Out of my 5 gamer friends only 2 of them have managed to get into FO4. The other ones have an incredibly difficult time with this sort of RPG.

Face it people, this generation has grown up to be more and more casual and the typical gamer does not handle games like Fallout well. You can't just make balls to the wall difficulty games anymore, people don't like that. Be glad we still have games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls who sell to a niche audience.

Games have gotten a lot easier over the years. Go pick up an NES and play Mario Brothers or Contra or any other game really...those games were genuinely hard, lol.

Also, I see a lot of people in here bitching the last few pages about today's gamers not wanting to read or are lazy.....you guys do realize the average age of today's gamers is like mid-30s right?

naticus

[H]ard|Gawd
So is anyone else here using the iFPSClamp=60 tweak?

I thought I had my stuttering fixed earlier but getting near Diamond city it become noticable. I tried everything under the sun to stop it, the ipresentinterval tweak, running in borderless windowed, vsync on/off via nvida control panel.

None of it seemed to work until I tried adding the iFPSClamp=60 to the fallout4.ini under the general section.

After this my stuttering stopped. I also seem to remember this being thei magic line that worked for both Fallout 3 and NV with it's stuttering back in tihe day.

However I have seen some people talk about it bugging things, including having npc's randomly go missing or other bugs, so I am a bit worried about using it.

Anyone else here try it and have any issues?

I just wish developers in general would STOP tying their engines to freaking fps, it was terrible in Dark Souls and it's terrible in any game period, your fps should NOT have any affect on the actual engine and how things behave or work (IE physics, speed, etc).

Don't use that tweak, it causes a number of issues with the game engine several of which can ruin a savegame. Instead, limit your fps to below 72 with MSI Afterburner's Rivatuner or Nvidia Inspector and use "iPresentInterval=0" in Fallout4prefs.ini (in your documents>my games>fallout 4 folder) and make that .ini read only.

This will get ride of the mouse lag/vsync issues/stutter without causing engine issues.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD has a frame limiter in their drivers that works with fullscreen mode that should limit the game to whatever you set it to.

w35t

[H]ard|Gawd
Don't use that tweak, it causes a number of issues with the game engine several of which can ruin a savegame. Instead, limit your fps to below 72 with MSI Afterburner's Rivatuner or Nvidia Inspector and use "iPresentInterval=0" in Fallout4prefs.ini (in your documents>my games>fallout 4 folder) and make that .ini read only.

This will get ride of the mouse lag/vsync issues/stutter without causing engine issues.

What is special about 72? I thought anything above 60 could cause engine issues. Also, what exactly does iPresentInterval=0 do?

TheOneKnownAsMe

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone had the glitch where the radscorpions will fly up really high into the air when they un-borrow, then fall to the ground and die? Just barely had it happen to 2 legendary radscorps, lol.

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
W7kDYIQ.jpg

Anyone know what is causing the bottom 80% of my screen to be darker than the rest? It is like one of the post processing layers isn't covering the entire screen. I am on the latest drivers. Have tried a bunch of different graphics settings and no luck. Sometimes this goes away depending upon where I am looking. It is basically game breaking, I can't play with this thing flickering on and off.

EDIT: Found the fix from WSGF, you need to change bComputeShaderDeferredTiledLighting=0

Last edited:

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
500 water production in Sanctuary.
By the time I finished setting up turrets, there was 400 Purified Water in the warehouse lol.

FD5WbEu.png

Seelenlos

[H]ard|Gawd
500 water production in Sanctuary.
By the time I finished setting up turrets, there was 400 Purified Water in the warehouse lol.

FD5WbEu.png

Mine doesn't seem to be producing. Place the purifiers and power them up. Does anything else need to be done? Played for a few hours after I built a few and the numbers haven't changed.

Also having problems getting people assigned to specific things. Can only the settlers, non named people, work your stores? Tried having a few different named characters move next to the store than assign it to them. They just walk away. Shows they are assigned to it but they never go open up the shop.