Fallout 4

AceGoober

Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!
Install F4SE, run FO4 with F4SE from Nexus Mod Manager and it'll negate loading time by a bit.

For my config, rig in sig, with ENB I load to playing state in slightly less than 25 seconds.

What is a typical load time for Fallout 4? My load times vary with loading into the open outside world taking usually about 90 seconds. I don't recall it being this long when playing it at release, but now I have the official high res texture pack installed, a mod for proper ultrawide support is the only other thing running.

Going to try that Operation Manhattan, looks really nice. Just have to finish Nuka World first which I've recently entered for the first time.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Install F4SE, run FO4 with F4SE from Nexus Mod Manager and it'll negate loading time by a bit.

For my config, rig in sig, with ENB I load to playing state in slightly less than 25 seconds.

Wow, I wish I was getting that. Am I reading your rig right: Are you all SSD on everything? I have an SSD for my OS and programs but games are still on a regular hard drive. A Western Digital Caviar Black. You were right about ENB for that performance boost/refinement.

Last edited:

AceGoober

Yep, I have two Samsung 1TB 840 EVO SSDs. One for O/S and games, other for storage. Fallout 4's texture streaming approach heavily relies on read performance to run smoothly. HDDs don't cut it that well. SSDs fit the bill nicely.

Wow, I wish I was getting that. Am I reading your rig right: Are you all SSD on everything? I have an SSD for my OS and programs but games are still on a regular hard drive. A Western Digital Caviar Black.

ENB smooths things out quite a bit, eh? I've been using ENBoost since Boris released it. The latest version (0.311) is his best yet for FO4.

You were right about ENB for that performance boost/refinement.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

AceGoober

I must say the mod is excellent. There are a few bugs to be worked-out but overall is fairly solid. I'll be posting, as soon as the project is finished, a blueprint for the fully automated ammo manufacturing plant being built at Starlight Drive-in. Still working out a few details with regards to container placement for ease of access yet it is being realized at a steady pace. I will warn everyone in the description that they must have their character build stats (armorer, gun smith, etc) and must have their supply lines established. There are no ifs, ands or buts about this. No exceptions.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22442/?

I might have to mess around with this at some point. It allows people to transfer and share settlement data.

There's some pretty high end and sophisticated settlements listed on the Nexus. Far more work than I will ever do: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=61

On a different note, do we love Marcy Long? Oh, yeah, we all do. Hence, I've created an appropriate shrine to accentuate her attitude. May she rest well. :D

AceGoober_FO4_0260.jpg

AceGoober

I've had her and Preston fight in an arena with heated frying pans, Alien Blasters, M42 nuke launchers (that was fun; not) and various other weapons and neither she nor Preston kicked the bucket. Was quite a while ago so this leads me to the next sentence...

According the the WiKi, as of patch 1.7 she is no longer tagged as essential so make her suffer, if that is what you - or anyone else - wishes. :D

Is she unkillable? I personally have never tried

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Is that right? Hmmm.... I might have to finally give Marcy an attitude adjustment of sorts. ;)

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Welp, Im now going to get a pc copy to play after watching the vids. Thank for that (my wallet hates you :) )

Ps. I have about 600hrs of game time on xbone but I want to heavily mod the game to test out my 8700k build.

You won't regret it.

AceGoober

Once you get going with FCOM, depending upon your available fun time, I think you will be very happy with FCOM since it brings a great deal of substance to an otherwise lacking commander set of the original game.

Welp, Im now going to get a pc copy to play after watching the vids. Thank for that (my wallet hates you :) )

Ps. I have about 600hrs of game time on xbone but I want to heavily mod the game to test out my 8700k build.

===============================================================

Thanks for the link to the mod. I was hesitant about trying FCOM but after playing around with it a bit it doesn't break the type of gameplay I strive for. Mod brings much needed substance to FO4.

You won't regret it.

===============================================================

Here are three mods I highly recommend:

No Elipsis - updated version of NoDotDot - runs perfectly with every HUD mod I have.

Drunken Gnomes - Gnomepocolypse Edition - chucksteel is back with a great scavenger hunt mod. The difference between this mod and FO3 version is the gnomes are a bit more difficult to find and do not exist in the game world until the quest is taken. So, for those who think that opening-up FO4 Creation Kit to find the locations of the gnomes as a bypass to searching will be sorely disappointed.

Collectible and Placeable Pins - Another scavenger hunt mod. IXnaterXI recreated every pin seen on the loading screen and also created several different types of racks to display the pins on. I've found 61 pins so far.

like this

AceGoober

Whelp, I just had to remove an endorsement from a mod that I really liked. Nuka World Glory. The mod itself, while a bit rough is fantastic. Unfortunately, the issue with the traders not having any stock or money is too large to let pass. Especially since two of the traders have unique weapons.

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Whelp, I just had to remove an endorsement from a mod that I really liked. Nuka World Glory. The mod itself, while a bit rough is fantastic. Unfortunately, the issue with the traders not having any stock or money is too large to let pass. Especially since two of the traders have unique weapons.

That's too bad. That's a great looking idea. Hopefully that modder will continue to work on it.

Ruiner

2[H]4U
'Tales from the Commonwealth' has decent writing and characters, certainly better than most in the vanilla game. I did have to mess with the console to access one of their NPCs and related quests, having killed off the Railroad in my playthrough. Xander's Aid was also a gem. BOS: Manhattan and Barrenwood are OK for emptying ammo stores.

Leave it to the modders to get extra mileage out of this game. Bethesda should have spent their effort cloning Minecraft on writing instead. Perhaps they'll give a dev like Obsidian or inXile a crack at the license for a more mature sequel in the spirit of F2 or NV.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Didn't care for it much. It starts off strong but then gets a bit weak. Haven't finished it yet either.

It's clearly unfinished in parts and with certain quests. I don't know if they are still working on it and if there will ever be a "3.0" or not. Overall I think it's still well worth playing and there are enough "Interesting NPCs" (think Skyrim) to add some spice and flavor.

You get another radio station, too. ;)

Last edited:

AceGoober

Fallout 4 has been updated to 1.10.40. Time to wait patiently while F4SE is updated.

As much as I love playing FO4, Bethesda really needs to communicate better with the community when there is an update incoming. It wouldn't hurt at all to give us a warning (post update notes, please) a couple of days before the update is applied. That'll give people time to backup their Fallou4.exe so they can still play while F4SE and other related mods are updated to account for the new change.

like this

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Fallout 4 has been updated to 1.10.40. Time to wait patiently while F4SE is updated.

As much as I love playing FO4, Bethesda really needs to communicate better with the community when there is an update incoming. It wouldn't hurt at all to give us a warning (post update notes, please) a couple of days before the update is applied. That'll give people time to backup their Fallou4.exe so they can still play while F4SE and other related mods are updated to account for the new change.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26956/?

No need to wait, remember? ;)

No, Bethesada needs to stop with this nonsense entirely. They're doing it on Skyrim SE as well. I have auto updates on the games disabled in Steam. I've been taking a break while playing some other games so I know better than to fire up F4 right now and take that update but I have that exe mod installed and ready to go in any event.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Last edited:

AceGoober

I don't care for uninstalling mods in the middle of a save game but this one I'll most certainly give a go.

Being discontinued as it ends up being part of this expanded concept which I'm getting ready to try: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27870/?

Interesting, yes. I'd bet it would make for some very interesting robots.

"Shaddup or I'll disassemble you!"

"Doh, ok..."

:D

Get to thrash on bad guys? I'm up for that after I clear off room to install SSE again.

like this

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I finally finished the main story...165 hours, Level 62, sided with the Railroad (but also went back to a previous save and did the Brotherhood of Steel ending)...the BoS ending had the best ending missions...overall a solid game

polonyc2

Fully [H]
with the Steam sales coming up I was wondering if any of the Fallout 4 DLC were worth it?...I thought I remember hearing that none of them were on par with previous Fallout 3 DLC...any of them worth a look?

AceGoober

Far Harbor is totally worth the price. Great story and excellent place to explore.

Nuka World was good and I thought it was worth the price but it did feel incomplete. Thankfully, modders have fixed most of the shortcomings.

Automatron is a good little DLC with a good story though I thought the ending was a bit on the cheesy side. I still enjoyed it and have been having fun creating various robotic monstrosities.

The other DLC are basically aimed at people who are into building (such as me :D ) and enjoy the additions the DLC bring. There are plenty of mods to improve the experience.

with the Steam sales coming up I was wondering if any of the Fallout 4 DLC were worth it?...I thought I remember hearing that none of them were on par with previous Fallout 3 DLC...any of them worth a look?

BlueWeasel

Limp Gawd

I'm wondering the same as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for a great deal on the season pass.

Seelenlos

[H]ard|Gawd
So been feeling the itch to play this again. It has been awhile, haven't played since before the vault tec DLC. Spent a few hours today reading threads and make a list of mods I want.
I have about two dozen so far but wanted to know what some of your current must have mods are.
So for those still playing, do you have a top ten must have can't start a game without list?

like this

DangerousMan

Limp Gawd
So been feeling the itch to play this again. It has been awhile, haven't played since before the vault tec DLC. Spent a few hours today reading threads and make a list of mods I want.
I have about two dozen so far but wanted to know what some of your current must have mods are.
So for those still playing, do you have a top ten must have can't start a game without list?

I just went with a few basics: unofficial patch; full dialog+updates; better pipboy map; homemaker; scrap everything; enable achievements; and fcom. Right now I'm just using fo4 as one of a few stability tests for my 8700k o.c.ing. When I get my 1080, Ill probably add some landscaping/weather/texture mods.

polonyc2 said:

BlueWeasel said:
I'm wondering the same as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for a great deal on the season pass.
Ive had the game+season pass on xbone since launch, and I wouldnt play without the dlcs. Also, Cdkeys has the GOTY edition for $20(usd.)

Last edited:

Cypher-

[H]ard|Gawd
I started playing again the other day because I wanted to try survival mode. I had a few mods on my other save, but for simplicity I only installed full dialog and the pipboy map. I was hoping at some point updates would stop coming so I could mod safely, but I guess since the game breaks every time they add stuff still I didn't want to deal with F4SE.

Really the only reason I'm liking survival is because enemies aren't bullet sponges and I enjoy the fact that I have to think about combat or I die. Everything else is a bit tedious. I suppose I could just back down to very hard and use the create your own difficulty mod if I get too annoyed with everything else. Or just add quicksaving back in. I'm only up to level 8 or 9 so I'm not very far in yet. Survival isn't sucking me in as much as I thought it would but I don't think I've played enough to judge it completely.