Fallout 4 VR only for Vive?

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
I was reading that they are going to remake Fallout 4 into VR using the core game.
So they are going to lose quite a bit of money they could be making from the Oculus crowd.
I read something about a lawsuit from Zenimax or some crap. Who cares. I thought that they
would rather make money than limit the customer base.....

Hopefully it can be hacked to play well with the Rift.....

Hagrid, you've stopped making sense. It's on Steam. Steam VR maps seamlessly to both headsets. If it works for one, it'll works for the other. There are no Vive exclusive games on Steam. There may be some funky controller mappings as to controller buttons, but even so, it'll be playable. (And someone will figure out a quick hack if needed to make them work seamlessly with the Touch controllers differing layout in no time.)

Hagrid, you've stopped making sense. It's on Steam. Steam VR maps seamlessly to both headsets. If it works for one, it'll works for the other. There are no Vive exclusive games on Steam. There may be some funky controller mappings as to controller buttons, but even so, it'll be playable. (And someone will figure out a quick hack if needed to make them work seamlessly with the Touch controllers differing layout in no time.)
Just because it's on Steam, does not mean full compatibility to everything. From what I have read it's all about the Vive, but I am just holding out hope that it will be playable on the Rift.

Just because it's on Steam, does not mean full compatibility to everything. From what I have read it's all about the Vive, but I am just holding out hope that it will be playable on the Rift.

No need to hold out hoping. Unless Bethesda doesn't want additional sales and actively somehow figures a way to block the use of the Rift (I am not aware of ANY game on Steam that actually does this), then it'll simply work. There are literally over a thousand games supporting VR on Steam the last time I checked. I haven't run into one yet that I couldn't fire up and play in either headset. (Sure, before Touch arrived there were quite a few, but things have changed dramatically since then and it's a pretty seamless experience these days.)

From Steam user hardware surveys, right now the VR headset ownership breakdown is:

VR-Headsets.png

Bethesda would be insane to ignore a roughly 44% installed Steam VR user base of potential customers. They may advertise it as a Vive thing, but it'll work with the Rift, and if it doesn't I give it 2-3 days tops before a hack or workaround that makes it work seamlessly appears...

Last edited:
No need to hold out hoping. Unless Bethesda doesn't want additional sales and actively somehow figures a way to block the use of the Rift (I am not aware of ANY game on Steam that actually does this), then it'll simply work. There are literally over a thousand games supporting VR on Steam the last time I checked. I haven't run into one yet that I couldn't fire up and play in either headset. (Sure, before Touch arrived there were quite a few, but things have changed dramatically since then and it's a pretty seamless experience these days.)
I have a game that I can not play, though there is some fix you have to go through.
There are lots of games supporting VR, but that doesn't mean that all VR headsets are supported.

Also, if the trend continues, by December there will be more Rift owners than Vive owners on Steam. Name one Steam VR game that doesn't work on both the Vive and the Rift. One that there isn't a patch/fix or workaround for!

Also, if the trend continues, by December there will be more Rift owners than Vive owners on Steam. Name one Steam VR game that doesn't work on both the Vive and the Rift. One that there isn't a patch/fix or workaround for!
We shall see! I like the games that work well and not just "work". I don't play 2D games anymore, but there are like 2-3 titles I would like to play even though its on a flat screen. I hope Fallout 4 works well with the Rift.

I have a game that I can not play, though there is some fix you have to go through.
There are lots of games supporting VR, but that doesn't mean that all VR headsets are supported.
Every game "works", which game gives you issues? it may not be perfect depending on the game but everything on steamVR is compatible with rift it just may not work as well as if its on a rift. There has been 1 program that was outright blocked and it was cracked very fast, even if it doesn't work at release i would be surprised if it took modders more than 48 hours to have it working 100% on the rift since its such a large profile game

No need to hold out hoping. Unless Bethesda doesn't want additional sales and actively somehow figures a way to block the use of the Rift (I am not aware of ANY game on Steam that actually does this),

Google earth VR did this, they actively blocked rift users but that was because they didn't want rift user to have a bad experience and had the rift version out shortly after. The important thing to note is someone released a crack which made google earth accept the rift and has said that the crack should be compatible with any steam game that tried to do the same check to block the rift so we should be perfectly fine regardless.

I've had to do a couple of ini tweaks or set compatibility mode, but I haven't run into anything that just outright doesn't work.

Valve seams to have done an OK job integrating the Oculus SDK into OpenVR. Not as good as ReVive has going the other way, but decent at least.

I don't expect that ANY Oculus testing will be part of the development or QA procedure for FO4. They're probably still peeved at Carmack and his search history... http://www.pcgamer.com/zenimax-statement-reveals-john-carmack-googled-how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive/

Yep. The Carmack thing with Oculus is still stinging Zenimax so I can't see Bethesda officially supporting the Rift anytime soon.

if Bethesda is actually making it exclusive to vive, it;ll be the stupidest thing they;ve ever done. Fallout VR is gonna be all inclusive, trust, Bethesda likes $$$

if Bethesda is actually making it exclusive to vive, it;ll be the stupidest thing they;ve ever done. Fallout VR is gonna be all inclusive, trust, Bethesda likes $$$

If Bethesda markets their software for Rift, it'll damage their case with Oculus. I don't expect Bethesda to make the game for the Touch controllers, but I don't see them preventing it from working either.

If Bethesda markets their software for Rift, it'll damage their case with Oculus. I don't expect Bethesda to make the game for the Touch controllers, but I don't see them preventing it from working either.
I hope it works good and doesn't make it awkward or crappy to play......

I hope it works good and doesn't make it awkward or crappy to play......

Based on what I've heard it's pretty crappy to play even on the targeted hardware, but with any luck they'll allow modding.

I'm only interested in Doom VFR. I couldn't care less about the other two titles.

I see the pre-order on Steam and it does only list the Vive. Just a waiting game I guess.

Because of their legal battles, I suspect they're not going to go out of their way to promote compatibility of the Rift. Regardless, I don't see them actively blocking it, given how the underlying OpenVR structure Valve uses works. Even if something ultra crazy does happen, this is PC gaming, somebody will figure out a way to make it work.

And at the end of the day, Bethesda surely put a decent amount of money into this project. Losing out on almost half of your potential customers just isn't good business, regardless of the two companies histories. It's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Is anyone here picking this up? I was interested until I found out they're charging the full 60.00 for it (considering I already purchased FO4:GOTY edition for both my PC and PS4)

I'm hoping they release a demo for it, at least.

Ya, that was my earlier complaint. Treating a customer that has already purchased the full game and someone who hasn't as equals and charging them the same for the VR version of Fall Out 4 seems off. Those they have already raked once for the full game price shouldn't have to bend over and cough up the full price all over again unless it is an entirely new game with completely different content (which it isn't!)

Definitely sitting this one out for the reviews - no preorder here!

Ya, that was my earlier complaint. Treating a customer that has already purchased the full game and someone who hasn't as equals and charging them the same for the VR version of Fall Out 4 seems off. Those they have already raked once for the full game price shouldn't have to bend over and cough up the full price all over again unless it is an entirely new game with completely different content (which it isn't!)

Definitely sitting this one out for the reviews - no preorder here!
I won't get it until I know it works good on the Rift. I am praying!

If not they will lose on quite a bit of money.

The one weird thing is that it is NEVER mentioned anywhere if its going to have any of the DLCs in the $60 game.

The one weird thing is that it is NEVER mentioned anywhere if its going to have any of the DLCs in the $60 game.

I'm fairly positive that I read that it's not coming with any of the DLC as it was never optimized for VR.

Well then I hope for my sanity they don't start releasing them and charging even more

lol I actually stopped playing FO4 when I heard about the VR version, as I didn't want to ruin the story or anything for myself once the VR version launched.

Needless to say, after news of the pricing... and hearing that there will be no DLC included, I went back to finish the non-VR version.

I feel ya man.

I see no reason why it will not support the Rift unless the game detects you have a Rift and refuses to play. It should support the Microsoft VR sets coming out as well. I guess we will know shortly.

Back