Fallout 4 reveal?- 12/11/2013

Yep I am pretty sure I do.

Then you wouldn't be asking for differently environmental aesthetics, or complaining that 200 year old TV dinners are edible.

The Fallout world is based on '50s pop sci-fi. Packaged foods in sci-fi were considered indefinitely edible, or at least it was considered that future scientific advancements would greatly extend the power and economy of preservatives. Likewise, the world design is how '50s futurism looked, down to the reliance on external battery packs for equipment that would otherwise be hard-wired.

You're basically asking for a post-apocalyptic dark humor game that isn't set in '50s sci-fi. That's not what Fallout is or will be.

Then you wouldn't be asking for differently environmental aesthetics, or complaining that 200 year old TV dinners are edible.

The Fallout world is based on '50s pop sci-fi. Packaged foods in sci-fi were considered indefinitely edible, or at least it was considered that future scientific advancements would greatly extend the power and economy of preservatives. Likewise, the world design is how '50s futurism looked, down to the reliance on external battery packs for equipment that would otherwise be hard-wired.

You're basically asking for a post-apocalyptic dark humor game that isn't set in '50s sci-fi. That's not what Fallout is or will be.

They were put in the original games as ester eggs, not common items. Because of things like this I barley consider Fallout 3 to be a Fallout game. After playing more than 200 hours of Both F3 and NV I can firmly agree with the "Oblivion with guns" phrase being a good examination, Fallout NV fairing slightly better through its story telling. Bethesda hardly understood the humor of the original games and only added cheap knockoffs of its canon.

Furthermore I don't appreciate you coming on here and turning elitist on me. I have played these game since their inception. So keep your history lessons to yourself.

Last edited:
Krenum laying down the law

Yeah I get a bit defensive when someone tests my Fallout dedication myself ;)

Because of things like this I barley consider Fallout 3 to be a Fallout game.

I agree that FO3 was not a very well thought out game, and it certainly doesn't feel like it belongs in the Fallout canon. It has plenty of plot holes and poorly thought out quests and scenarios.

But what does this have to do with anything you wrote on your wish list or anything I wrote in response? Whether or not Fallout 3 qualifies as a legitimate sequel isn't very relevant to whether or not 200 year old TV dinners can be edible in a fictional setting based on 60 year old pop sci-fi concepts and projections of worst case scenario sci-fi settings.

Furthermore I don't appreciate you coming on here and turning elitist on me. I have played these game since their inception. So keep your history lessons to yourself.

No one said you haven't played the games. Settle down, Charlie.

Whether or not Fallout 3 qualifies as a legitimate sequel isn't very relevant to whether or not 200 year old TV dinners can be edible in a fictional setting based on 60 year old pop sci-fi concepts and projections of worst case scenario sci-fi settings.

I believe it does, finding a 200 year old TV dinner in a refrigerator is funny for obvious reasons. The first time you find one. But then you find a second and a third and so on, it wears of its luster pretty quick. Its like the developers at Bethesda got lazy in the clutter development process or thought it would fit the canon to spread pre war items in abundance all over the game world in an attempt to say "Look, see we get it, its Fallout, you get it right?". Yeah we do get it, we got it back in 1997 too.

Last edited:
As long as they don't port over Skyrim's weaknesses like the radiant AI and put that into Fallout 4 I'll be happy. Just give me more of what made New Vegas especially awesome, take it to the next level, and let's kick ass. That's all I ask.

All this nervous back and forth between nerds arguing about TV dinners has gotten lesbian-like. I'm bailing.

If it's going to be New England, so we'll be seeing the Commonwealth? And more specifically, the Institute?

If it is situated in an urban environment,I just hope we don't get the endless treks through boring,identical subway tunnels as in FO3. I got the feeling they were just there as filler to extend the game. And with the increased power of the new consoles,maybe they can do away with the loading breaks when entering every building or little shack.

If it is situated in an urban environment,I just hope we don't get the endless treks through boring,identical subway tunnels as in FO3. I got the feeling they were just there as filler to extend the game. And with the increased power of the new consoles,maybe they can do away with the loading breaks when entering every building or little shack.

Having interiors as separate cells does have its benefits:
Different imagespaces without roombounds, less problems with amount of light sources, don't have to worry about random events, can go crazy with detailing, can quickly set ownership of objects, one sided models, etc.

I would much rather have open cities, like in Morrowind and in Oblivion/Skyrim with the Open Cities mod. Then again, a group of fiends would likely run in and kill all of the citizens.

War never changes...

I'd love to see something more like the turn-based format of 1 and 2, though I'll play anything that says Fallout in the title.

Seeing this teaser, whether real or fake, has gotten me looking for another FONV quest/adventure fix ... I did Beyond Boulder Dome and the Denver mods. Any others worth playing for 10+ hrs? I'm checking out the Brazil mod which supposedly was a 4 year project.

im in.
i loved fo: new vegas, been waiting for the next fallout now

I'm tentatively in also. I loved Fallout 3. Played through it 2-3 times I think. New Vegas, I could never get into. I tried twice, on one occasion I got reasonably far I think. But I could just never bring myself to stick with it. I think I'm going to give NV another go though, this time cherry picking some mods that will hopefully make the game more to my liking.

Given that I'm normally a big fan of things coming out of Bethesda, I think it's quite likely that I'd really enjoy another Fallout game. But not liking NV has me scared. I think it's one of those games I would wait for a modest sale before buying, just in case.

ny others worth playing for 10+ hrs? I'm checking out the Brazil mod which supposedly was a 4 year project.

Maybe not 10hrs unless you want to play both paths, but Brazil is a 'must play' for a Fallout fan IMHO. Only the 1st chapter is complete.

Maybe not 10hrs unless you want to play both paths, but Brazil is a 'must play' for a Fallout fan IMHO. Only the 1st chapter is complete.

Absolutely.

That deserves support, attention, props, and praise.

Yeah me too, i was shocked when i was reading the thread's title. But VGX is coming so... who knows? maybe we will see new fallout sooner that we expected.

I love how varied the tunnel environments are in Metro. Be nice if Fallout could replicate that experience as well.

Seeing this teaser, whether real or fake, has gotten me looking for another FONV quest/adventure fix ... I did Beyond Boulder Dome and the Denver mods. Any others worth playing for 10+ hrs? I'm checking out the Brazil mod which supposedly was a 4 year project.

Any of the mods by Someguy2000 (New Vegas Bounties I & II,The Inheritance,and Russell) are very good.

Truly, probably the only game I am actually looking forward to. Only game I played more than Fallout 3 was probably Medieval Total War 2. After the garbage that was Rome 2, this is all I really have to look forward to.

it's pretty much 100% confirmed that Fallout 4 is the game being teased...there's been a lot of activity on that teaser site over the weekend including audio codes and references to 'Nuclear Winter coming'

it's pretty much 100% confirmed that Fallout 4 is the game being teased...there's been a lot of activity on that teaser site over the weekend including audio codes and references to 'Nuclear Winter coming'

Can't wait. The day that game comes out will basically be a holiday for me.

Truly, probably the only game I am actually looking forward to. Only game I played more than Fallout 3 was probably Medieval Total War 2. After the garbage that was Rome 2, this is all I really have to look forward to.

I'd have to say it's one of only two that I'm looking forward to,the other being S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Lost Alpha.

I just hope that Bethseda has hired some new animators/using mocap.

I do not get why such a big studio with two hit franchies still has some of if not THE worst animations in their flagship games. It's likle circa 98' animations.

I remember they announced they acquired a mocap studio a few years back, seems they aren't even using it though.

I'd have to say it's one of only two that I'm looking forward to,the other being S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Lost Alpha.

I have been waiting for lost alpha to come out forever. i am really hoping 2014.

i am excited since one of the fallout 4 teaser messages mentioned quabbin reservoir, which is only 20-30 min drive from my house.

I really think this is just John Titor telling us when shit is going to hit the fan.

Will be interesting. I liked 3 GotY but NV Ultimate was a bit.... different. Spaceships? Wasn't bad but some DLC was deffo better than others. Also neither had an ending where I was "Wow....!" Not a killer just an observation. But yeah the animations suck.... wow, look, it's a Morrowind mod...

I hope they get Mark Morgan to do the music, Inon Zur, is OK but you could tell some of his work spilled over from Crysis into Fallout 3.

I remember they announced they acquired a mocap studio a few years back, seems they aren't even using it though.
They used a fair bit of mocap for Skyrim. The game doesn't have the greatest animation in the world, but it's pretty good for a BGS game.

Back