Fallout 4 Performance and Image Quality Preview @ [H]

For anyone with an AMD card wanting better performance, simply cap tessellation to 8x in the driver and set godrays to low. I'm getting about what the Fury X was getting in this article at 1440p on a 290x.

Okay, after playing it tonight I see the image quality reduction TAA adds, and don't like it. BUT I still like the way it removes all aliasing in the entire scene!

BUT, you can add a post-process sharpening filter. It restores the sharpness of the textures while still removing all aliasing from bushes! The sharpen pass adds back a little aliasing, but it's barely noticeable.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

6DsyqFn.jpg

The fact that they force V-Sync ON and have no option in-game to disable it tells me these people still don't understand the full spectrum of PC gaming... Some of us want to choose options for the absolute lowest input latency because we are competitive minded. I started my gaming life playing CS on a team that was sponsored by Subway and Alienware back in 2002. The idea of always having stupid high (100-200+) fps with high refresh rate for the absolute lowest input latency has always been my first priority in any game. If I cant play modern games at the IQ I want with 100+ fps, I'll just wait for the hardware that can. Luckily 2xTitanX's on water is still doing just fine @ 1080p @ 150hz (cuz 4k is still for suckers).

Perspective..to me you just described a sub-par experience.. but for you, its the bee's knee's

but i do really feel that 1080p @ 150hz is for suckers!!!

Okay, after playing it tonight I see the image quality reduction TAA adds, and don't like it. BUT I still like the way it removes all aliasing in the entire scene!

BUT, you can add a post-process sharpening filter. It restores the sharpness of the textures while still removing all aliasing from bushes! The sharpen pass adds back a little aliasing, but it's barely noticeable.

Nice guide, thanks for the link. Going to change to SMAA.

Is it my imagination or has ultra god rays introduced some nasty blur to the image over high god rays.

Yes, everything is just a reskin of everything. :rolleyes: The overhauled gunplay, crafting and basebuilding is just a hallucination.

This is why I understand where Bethesda was coming from. Fallout is one of their flagship products and they had just spent a ton of resources overhauling the gameplay and the story. I've been playing it is a much more polished product than F3:NV.

My hunch is that F5 will retain the bulk of the gameplay elements, most of which were very positively reviewed, and put them into a new graphics engine. In the Fallout series it makes sense to me that gameplay would get the higher priority.

Thanks for the performance review, [H]. I hope AMD gets back in the game soon.

Thanks for putting in the time for this, [H].

I've been able to play for a little bit - made it to the vault, through the cryo sequence, and out of the vault back to the neighborhood...in 3 hours of gameplay. Most of the time was spent trying to fix the stuck at terminal bug and messing with the eye candy settings so it doesn't feel like I'm getting sluggish performance like I remember in GTA IV with max settings on my old GTX 570.

There is absolutely zero good excuses that Bethesda would NOT progress their game engine to include fundamental support for Vsync control and refresh rates/FPS higher than 60. FO4 feels like a polished relic from the stone age. Disappointing, because this is one of the most loved PC game franchises in the history of computer gaming.

Simply put, they unleashed a late-phase beta release...once again relying on the paying customer base to communicate any frustrations, bugs, nuances, and complaints and leave us all hoping beyond hope that they are addressed and corrected in future patches. Unacceptable...especially after the Arkham Knight debacle...developers should have taken great heed at what not to do, but here we are going through the exact same thing again.

I regress...

Color me confused and ignorant, as usual.

I remember when features like AA were new and no games supported them, you just applied them from the GPU control panel. Does this no longer work? Do the games prevent them from working somehow? IE if I want 4XMSAA in this game, I can't force it from the control panel?

6DsyqFn.jpg

Looks like shit for 2015. What is this; a total Skyrim conversion mod?!

:confused:

I remember when features like AA were new and no games supported them, you just applied them from the GPU control panel. Does this no longer work? Do the games prevent them from working somehow? IE if I want 4XMSAA in this game, I can't force it from the control panel?

I'm guessing the new features they added to the engine made in-engine anti-aliasing impossible. So we're stuck with post-processing or supersampling AA options.

Due to the way modern games render the picture you no longer can force the old MSAA on, it no longer works the same way as it used to. You can however force post processing AA like FXAA from control panel or try more special AA methods like SMAA with different injectors or SweetFX/Reshade.

Last edited:
So after another several hours of troubleshooting, I find out that maybe Freesync is a problem. I shut that off and I jump from 20fps locked to 27fps locked. Still looks like everything is defaulting to Ultra and I have no idea how to stop it. I've now spent around 10 hours trying to get a game I've played for less than 60 minutes to work.

game looks like it came from 2010

Looks like shit for 2015. What is this; a total Skyrim conversion mod?!

:confused:

What are you guys comparing to?

To me, it looks like just about every other recent title, especially ones with large outdoor wooded areas, as they usually have to dial back the polygon counts on each object a bit, to allow for rendering the large outdoor maps.

The likes of the Metro Series could pump it up a bit, as they were essentially just tunnel shooters, and didn't have to worry about the polygon count of large outdoor complex scenes. As you'll notice with metro, outdoor trees are sparse, and when they exist, they aren't as detailed as indoor scenes. They try to cover this up with the gas mask glass effects, so you don't notice it as much.

I should start recording all my gameplay. Last night I had a mole rat come up from under a car and I heard and super loud bang sound and the car shot about 100 feet into the air and then it landed and tried to balance on a utility pole, it lasted about 3 seconds and then fell off and kept spinning around on its front.

I never even thought to have a screenshot.. doh!

I should start recording all my gameplay. Last night I had a mole rat come up from under a car and I heard and super loud bang sound and the car shot about 100 feet into the air and then it landed and tried to balance on a utility pole, it lasted about 3 seconds and then fell off and kept spinning around on its front.

I never even thought to have a screenshot.. doh!

Did you override the vsync?

Thanks Kyle and Brent!
Nothing like some old school manual tweaking to get that vsync going, and who knows what other support features could be enabled that way. Looking forward for the bigger review!

I love Gameworks. Unfortunate it's not open, but since it generally has an equalish hit on both sets of hardware I don't care.

I betcha those god rays on ultra look great in motion. I liked them in FC4. I just couldn't get into Fallout 3... so I think I'm going to skip 4.

Nice review. I like the sliders.

Zarathustra[H];1041967309 said:

To me, it looks like just about every other recent title, especially ones with large outdoor wooded areas, as they usually have to dial back the polygon counts on each object a bit, to allow for rendering the large outdoor maps.

The likes of the Metro Series could pump it up a bit, as they were essentially just tunnel shooters, and didn't have to worry about the polygon count of large outdoor complex scenes. As you'll notice with metro, outdoor trees are sparse, and when they exist, they aren't as detailed as indoor scenes. They try to cover this up with the gas mask glass effects, so you don't notice it as much.

people complaint about the fact, that a modded New Vegas can looks way better (DOF, lighting and overall illumination appart). and runs hundreds of times better, even with very old hardware..

and the thing its just even worse with skyrim which even for today standards a modded skyrim with run better and look way better than FO4.

I love Gameworks. Unfortunate it's not open, but since it generally has an equalish hit on both sets of hardware I don't care.

I betcha those god rays on ultra look great in motion. I liked them in FC4. I just couldn't get into Fallout 3... so I think I'm going to skip 4.

Nice review. I like the sliders.

They look nice but I noticed while playing that they sometimes shine through walls so I'm guessing it's some engine glitch. The performance hit even with SLI is pretty massive at 1440p so I had to dial godrays down to high which still looks excellent. I even got SMAA working w/a 3rd party injector.

Zarathustra[H];1041967309 said:

The grass, the trees and ground textures in general look like my modded Skyrim minus the car and the guardrails.

I'm really confused as to why my posts disappear...it's happened a few times on different computers/internet connections...

Anyway, thanks for the review of the engine. It is a bit underwhelming, the graphics DO look like something from 2012. I could tell from the initial screens it was going to be a bland game, definitely was not impressed by the character models.

My initial post asked this of the community: Anyone have a clue as to why the AMD cards fare so poorly in this game if it's a bad console port and AMD hardware powers those? Tesselation? I thought Radeon's were good at Tess?

Hopefully the game play makes the game, I have a few friends playing and so far they said its' good, just complex.

I'm really confused as to why my posts disappear...it's happened a few times on different computers/internet connections...

Anyway, thanks for the review of the engine. It is a bit underwhelming, the graphics DO look like something from 2012. I could tell from the initial screens it was going to be a bland game, definitely was not impressed by the character models.

My initial post asked this of the community: Anyone have a clue as to why the AMD cards fare so poorly in this game if it's a bad console port and AMD hardware powers those? Tesselation? I thought Radeon's were good at Tess?

Hopefully the game play makes the game, I have a few friends playing and so far they said its' good, just complex.

AMD cards never liked Fallout or The elder scrolls tittles.. it has been always the same.. AMD tend to perform poorly in those titles.. why? nobody knows.

I keep getting game crashes. When I am outside in the open, no issues. When I am inside a smaller enclosed room or underground, the game simply drops to the desktop. Have tried fullscreen, boderless window, different AA setting, and such with no success.

The grass, the trees and ground textures in general look like my modded Skyrim minus the car and the guardrails.

Yes, and textures are the easy part of modernizing a game engine. They face the same VRAM limitations as your Skyrim mods do - why act so indignant that the texture quality is exactly the same?

There's only four years separating the games. Skyrim was an optimized DX9 engine, while Fallout 4 is their first-generation DX11affair. You can only expect to get so much improvement.

I'm bummed out that it's a bugfest again. I wish they'd just release a solid engine and base game that doesn't shit itself nonstop and then slowly add content. A stable modding base would be so much nicer.

I guess the numbers aren't there to do that because consoles.

I remember how solid starsiege tribes was even when heavily modded. Occasionally I fell through the map, but bethesda games are like when OG Counter-Strike tried adding in that APC and it just fucked up nonstop.

It just feels so chintzy when an NPC gets trapped in decorative interior objects or the physics go insane as often as they do in Bethesda games. Maybe modders will fix some of it after they get done turning everything into gigantic anime tits.

They look nice but I noticed while playing that they sometimes shine through walls so I'm guessing it's some engine glitch. The performance hit even with SLI is pretty massive at 1440p so I had to dial godrays down to high which still looks excellent. I even got SMAA working w/a 3rd party injector.

Check to make sure SLI is actually working because the default profile is broken. I know you can use the FO3 SLI bits and force AFR2 but results have been mixed from what I've read.

Waited for the release and I'm gearing up my system... But I'm holding off playing for a bit. I have GTA5 and Witcher3 qued up in front so I can be busy until FO4 gets itself unbuggered. :D

So, I'm curious....

Would it be to my benefit to lower God Rays from medium to low, considering my system specs? (see sig)

Reason I ask is because Creation Engine games are notoriously hard to bench by eye/fraps alone....

So, I'll take you guys advice. Thanks

I already tried it (see previous page). Works great, bushes still are clean, and only adds a bit of aliasing on edges.

Wow.

HUGE difference!! Totally worth it.

EDIT: 2.25 is cherry. 2.50 is a bit much....

Last edited:
Update on SLI:

I asked NVIDIA on an ETA for SLI driver fix, the response

SLI fixes requires some game-side changes which are expected soon

Also, some AMD driver news, I was able to ask AMD today about upcoming optimizations for Fallout 4, there will be a driver update coming with Fallout 4 optimizations, I can't say what driver it will be, that is under NDA.

Back