Fallout 4 On Consoles Will Run At A 'Steady' 30fps

On another note, Bethesda is bragging that the game will run at a steady 30fps. Are there modern console titles that DON'T run at a steady 30fps?

AC: Unity was a bit of a train wreck when it came to a steady fps.

A lot of the hostility from the PC side comes from the reality that consoles end up straightjacketing the PC version, because a developer will make design and scope decisions based on the lowest common denominator.

It's understandable why a developer/publisher would do that, but doesn't mean gamers are going to like it. So they lash out at the people buying consoles as they perceive them as feeding that cycle.

The thing is even if these games were made exclusively for the PC many of them would still cater to the lowest common denominator because that's the hardware a lot of PC gamers have. The Steam hardware survey repeatedly shows integrated or low-end/older graphics cards make up the majority of the steam userbase.

I don't think console versions end up straighjacketing the PC version in most cases. Usually the PC version of games will allow higher quality settings and higher framerates. Everyone points out Batman Arkham Knight as an example of consoles ruining PC gaming, but that was an exception (that's why it was talked about so much).

As long as Fallout 4 runs at 60+ FPS on PCs (which it will) I don't see why PC gamers care that it only runs at 30FPS on consoles.

The thing is even if these games were made exclusively for the PC many of them would still cater to the lowest common denominator because that's the hardware a lot of PC gamers have. The Steam hardware survey repeatedly shows integrated or low-end/older graphics cards make up the majority of the steam userbase.
Because scaling graphics on the PC is impossible and games never look way better than console equivalents in the past when the PC is the lead skew.

The pc master race attitude makes you guys look like a bunch of douchebag nerds. I read thru this whole thread and you guys argue over the dumbest shit.

Majority of the population plays on a console not a awesome gaming pc. I've had a good gaming pc before but now I'd rather spend $800 and get a ps4 and Xbone and enjoy all the exclusives on both systems then sit here and cry about capped framerates, shitty console ports and not getting certain console games at all.

The pc master race attitude makes you guys look like a bunch of douchebag nerds. I read thru this whole thread and you guys argue over the dumbest shit.

Majority of the population plays on a console not a awesome gaming pc. I've had a good gaming pc before but now I'd rather spend $800 and get a ps4 and Xbone and enjoy all the exclusives on both systems then sit here and cry about capped framerates, shitty console ports and not getting certain console games at all.

You seem to downplay anything that doesn't concern you as merely "crying", rather than realizing that these metrics actually do affect the end user's experience. I don't see how capping frame rate and releasing buggy games are defensible. These are poor decisions however you look at it, and the developers who does so deserve every bit of criticism they get.

At the end of the day, it's about getting the best experience we can afford. There are certain metrics that are better on PC as compared to console. Doesn't mean you have to drop your console and get a gaming PC, everyone is free to have their choice. But it's irrational to criticize others who chose differently.

Eh, I'd rather have a steady 30 fps than a frame rate that went from 30-60 but was wildly unstable. Reminds me of the Dreamcast version of Ecco. Its PS2 counterpart felt more stable to me, but only because the fact that the PS2 capped the game at 30 fps. The Dreamcast version hovered between 30-60 most of the time, and it was more jarring. Both versions tanked their framerates in the same spots, but since the PS2 was capped at 30, you felt the tanking a lot less.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but it doesn't sound all that bad, to be honest. Certainly what most console gamers would be used to. In the end - if they want a better experience, they will pay for it with the PC version (and the hardware to provide said experience).

Back