Fallout 4 - Official Bugs, Fixes, and Workarounds

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
Fallout 4 is finally upon us.

...and it's riddled with bugs. I'm experiencing the "stuck at terminal" bug and have tried the iPresentInterval 0 edit and dropping my refresh rate from 144 to 60 Hz, but nothing works.

Any other things I should try?

Are you 100% sure you dropped to 60 fps? Remember if Vsync is off, the refresh rate means nothing - the game will still run at uncapped framerate (which is the cause of the terminal problem.)

Are you 100% sure you dropped to 60 fps? Remember if Vsync is off, the refresh rate means nothing - the game will still run at uncapped framerate (which is the cause of the terminal problem.)

Shoot...I just checked NCP and it's set for adaptive Vsync. Going enable Vsync and report back.

Yes, either that or you have to be sure the framerate is capped. Vsync on at 120hz or 144hz is no good because the framerate can go too high.

I've read that limiting the fps to 90 via nvidia inspector and disabling vsync greatly improves the feel of the game.

I have yet to try it.

Monitor set to 60 Hz, Vsync on = game works, albeit sluggishly, as moving the mouse to look around feels like trudging through cold molasses. It feels very slow.

Another official beta field test release...pathetic. Bethesda has a LONG way to go with FO4 before it's worthy of an actual release (which is exactly why I felt this thread was very necessary). :mad:

Running in borderless windowed mode helps to remove the microstutter. Why is it practically every Bethesda game suffers from microstutter on release? :p

Running in borderless windowed mode helps to remove the microstutter. Why is it practically every Bethesda game suffers from microstutter on release? :p

Can confirm and came back to post this. It's like night and day.

It's playable now. The microstutter just ruins the feel.

I'm running the following settings for my high refresh rate monitor:

Remove cap from engine's FPS & enable borderless windowed mode [Fallout4Prefs.ini]
Code:
iPresentInterval=0
bFull Screen=0
bBorderless=1

NVCP:
Vsync OFF

NVIDIA Inspector:
Frame Rate Limiter = 60

No complaints since it's only a single player game, but I wonder if we'll ever get higher frame rates without the game freaking out.

You can limit the frame rate a bit higher without consequence. I have my cap at 90fps so I can use freesync and in my 6 hours of playtime I have experienced no weird physics bugs and I tried.

I think its typical that they promised that there would be no limit to the FPS, but it turns out doing so breaks the game.

Ugh, they still have the same terrible 60hz engine limits that Skyrim has? It's bloody 2015 :(

I think I'm giving up on Bethesda.

They really need to use a new engine omg. Terminal stuck at the first terminal. That really infuriated me.

This works for me on my Titan X and Asus PG278Q.

Fallout4.ini add "bMouseAcceleration=0"
Fallout4Prefs.ini add "bForceIgnoreSmoothness=1" and "iPresentInterval=0"

Run in Windowed Borderless mode.

The game is set at basically 58-60FPS the whole time and I don't get the terminal stuck bug - which REALLY irritated me at the beginning of the game. It's been buttery smooth since I followed those settings.

^ thanks for that, JB...I'll give that a whirl and go borderless windowed mode.

This works for me on my Titan X and Asus PG278Q.

Fallout4.ini add "bMouseAcceleration=0"
Fallout4Prefs.ini add "bForceIgnoreSmoothness=1" and "iPresentInterval=0"

Run in Windowed Borderless mode.

The game is set at basically 58-60FPS the whole time and I don't get the terminal stuck bug - which REALLY irritated me at the beginning of the game. It's been buttery smooth since I followed those settings.

Do this but don't run in borderless if you have gsync. You can run in fullscreen as long as you stay below 90fps. Limit it with MSI afterburner, etc.

Dumb question since I see it suggested for several games: What does going borderless windowed do vs "full screen"? Why does that help?

I had the terminal issue yesterday. 60Hz monitor.

Last edited:
Dumb question since I see it suggested for several games: What does going borderless windowed do vs "full screen"? Why does that help?

I had the terminal issue yesterday. 60Hz monitor.

It's mostly for multi GPU machines with issues, but it acts different with every game from what I have seen. I don't use borderless fullscreen because it locks my display at 59hz, probably because of windows..., the only way for me to get 60hz is normal fullscreen mode.

So, this bug will drive me crazy. I will wait for them to fix this before I pick this up...

It's mostly for multi GPU machines with issues, but it acts different with every game from what I have seen. I don't use borderless fullscreen because it locks my display at 59hz, probably because of windows..., the only way for me to get 60hz is normal fullscreen mode.

So, this bug will drive me crazy. I will wait for them to fix this before I pick this up...

It's bizarre. It only happened to me once. I had used probably half a dozen different terminals in the game up to that point with no issues but all of a sudden I hit the wrong...whatever... and there I was.

EDIT: Trying adaptive vsync. (Nvidia)

Last edited:
Hi all i'm planning to get Fallout 4 sometime in future (PC version), so I'd like to ask does anyone know when (or your best guess) Bethesda might release a nice big patch to address the first wave of reported bugs/glitches (I really wanna tear into the game so bad)? I just got Witcher 3 when it was on sale so gonna be playing that this weekend (should be mostly stable after being out for awhile and patched now and it will hold me for quite awhile)

Hi all i'm planning to get Fallout 4 sometime in future (PC version), so I'd like to ask does anyone know when (or your best guess) Bethesda might release a nice big patch to address the first wave of reported bugs/glitches (I really wanna tear into the game so bad)? I just got Witcher 3 when it was on sale so gonna be playing that this weekend (should be mostly stable after being out for awhile and patched now and it will hold me for quite awhile)

I would guess a week or two from now considering a beta patch is already available.

Fallout 4 is finally upon us.

...and it's riddled with bugs. I'm experiencing the "stuck at terminal" bug and have tried the iPresentInterval 0 edit and dropping my refresh rate from 144 to 60 Hz, but nothing works.

Any other things I should try?

I capped my max fps to 58 with MSI Afterburners StatisticServer.
The problem immediately went away.
That was all I did to fix this.

To use VSR (AMD) or DSR (NVidia) for full screen anti aliasing and potentially a bit more detail, this has been confirmed to work on both.
You may want to also use FXAA if you still encounter some crawlies.

Use CCC or Nvidia control panel to turn on VSR/DSR and set the resolution(s) you want to use.
I use 1.5x with DSR @ 1080p, it is as effective to me as 4xMSAA and uses less GPU.
Check the resolutions are available for Windows use in the control panels.

Do the following in both Fallout4Prefs.ini files.
They are:
[game install folder]\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini
C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini

Make sure the game is running in full screen mode otherwise you will have to change your desktop res as well.
bFull Screen=1

Change the following variables to the VSR / DSR res you want to use.
Use the exact values presented in the video driver control panel.
If the game crashes, the values are most likely wrong, dont represent your screens aspect ratio or you switched them round.
iSize H=Y res
iSize W=X res

Save the ini files as read only if you want to be sure they cannot be changed.
Making any change in the FO4 launcher will for sure try to modify at least 1 of the Fallout4Prefs.ini, altering the new res you saved.

When looking in the FO4 launcher, it shows something like 1/4 of the res but works fine as long as they are left alone.

The game has some sort of RAM speed bottleneck. GPU usage scales with RAM speed in those areas.

the main bug I'm running into is the hud, weapons, pipboy disappearing. I have to fsat travel or go into another zone and it comes back sometimes. Other times I need to use the app to swtich weapons.

i found a bug, game doesn't let the user have a life. i got 48 hours played. :D

the main bug I'm running into is the hud, weapons, pipboy disappearing. I have to fsat travel or go into another zone and it comes back sometimes. Other times I need to use the app to swtich weapons.

That's happened to me a few times. If you have a weapon with a scope, swap to it and look through the scope. Everything will be back when you let go of right click.

For me, setting iPresentInterval=0 seems to make the game have massive input lag and framerate drops. Not sure what's going on but leaving it on seems better. I am running borderless window with a 58 FPS hard cap in the nVidia driver.

Best thing I have done is put in iFPSClamp=60 in Fallout4.ini under [general] and set iPresentInterval=0 in both inis. Then I capped to 60 fps in Nvidia Inspector.

However you need to either tweak your settings or have a very powerful rig because you need to stay at 60fps. If you drop below that with ifpsclamp at 60, then the game slows down (I'm talking gametime wise, not just framerate.)

I can maintain 60fps about 99% of the time and it's a silky smooth and fluid experience @ 144hz, and very low input lag with these settings.

On a 60 hz monitor this probably wouldn't look that good.

No 3440 x1440 support...REALLY..this is 2015 isn't it...really looks great on my screen with a 8 inch black bar on the right side of the screen...

I tested this on my system by setting the Patriot Viper 2133 to 1600Mhz. The game was not smooth at all. After setting it back to 2133, Fallout 4 ran smooth.

I'm running @ 2560 x 1440, textures/shadows at Ultra - other options set to high, TAA, godrays set to low, full screen.

The game has some sort of RAM speed bottleneck. GPU usage scales with RAM speed in those areas.

I tested this on my system by setting the Patriot Viper 2133 to 1600Mhz. The game was not smooth at all. After setting it back to 2133, Fallout 4 ran smooth.

I'm running @ 2560 x 1440, textures/shadows at Ultra - other options set to high, TAA, godrays set to low, full screen.

Can you check if reducing ram speed made you become cpu limited?

If you want to lock a games frame rate at 60 to avoid the terminal bug, download dxtory

http://exkode.com/dxtory-downloads-en.html

I do have the full version, but the free demo lets you lock the fps, the free demo does not have a limited time use or anything like that it simply has a 10 second count down at the start before the app starts.

So you do not need V-sync to lock the fps, as i tend to notice input lag with vsync enabled.

Just start Dxtory go to the tab that looks like a computer chip and at the bottom it has Other Option Check the box, and set the fps to what you want, 58 i know for sure stops me from getting locked on the terminals.

cVgnpPE.png

Back