Fallout 4 Locked at 30 fps now?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
Just put FO4 on my media pc with an RX 550. Memory serves me that it should do 40 fps at medium settings. It said could not detect settings so I set it to medium preset. It’s locked at 30 fps. I set it to 720p and it had no change. I haven’t played since 2018 according to steam. Has anything changed regarding locked frames? It’s smooth but I think it’s leaving 10+ frame’s behind

Just put FO4 on my media pc with an RX 550. Memory serves me that it should do 40 fps at medium settings. It said could not detect settings so I set it to medium preset. It’s locked at 30 fps. I set it to 720p and it had no change. I haven’t played since 2018 according to steam. Has anything changed regarding locked frames? It’s smooth but I think it’s leaving 10+ frame’s behind
Sounds like an issue on your end. I played FO4 recently and was getting over 120+ fps easily.

that 550 isnt going to push too high a framerate on fo4 even at 720p. On my 1080 i get a decently good frame rate and can even run it in vr without stutter. I would put money on your system cant keep up. There have been updates to the game since then, i cant remember if there were texture improvements or effects added. It is possible the game is a heavier load than it was 5 years ago.

The only reason I know it is locking at 30 fps is the GPU usage isn’t very high and it doesn’t budge off 30. I know an RX 550 isn’t the most powerful, it’s just reasonably decent, comparable to a 1030

Sounds like an issue on your end. I played FO4 recently and was getting over 120+ fps easily.
The physics is tied to the frame rate which Bethesda has locked @ 60fps by default.
You can play at higher frame rates, but certain things like lock picking, rag doll effects and opening doors that require a console all do weird shit when playing above 60. YMMV.
The last time I played it at 100fps locked, I had the black screen loading bug that happens when opening a door and than taking 5+ mins to load the next interior cell.

But yeah OP I would turn off vsync or see if your monitor is running at the correct frame rate.

EDIT: Brackle beat me to it. What he said.

Last edited:
Everytime I play fallout 4 at over 100 fps, I start having random cars falling off the overpass. I read it has somethings to do with the games phyicis being tied to the framerate. It killed me a couple times.

Could be double buffered V-Sync, and it's locked to 30 FPS since the RX 550 isn't able to hit 60 on medium settings. Triple buffered would eliminate that issue. I know with NVIDIA cards you can for triple buffering in the control panel, but I'm not sure about the AMD drivers.

Nope something is wrong in the borderless window mode of Fallout 4. I bought the GoG version and I am maxing out in borderless windowed mode at 4K at 36fps. In Fullscreen mode I get 72fps pretty much locked at half my refresh rate of 144hz.

Nope something is wrong in the borderless window mode of Fallout 4. I bought the GoG version and I am maxing out in borderless windowed mode at 4K at 36fps. In Fullscreen mode I get 72fps pretty much locked at half my refresh rate of 144hz.
Open Fallout4Pref.ini (located at C:\Users\(your name)\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\).
Look for iPresentInterval=1, and change it to iPresentInterval=0 This should unlock your frame rate.

Open Fallout4Pref.ini (located at C:\Users\(your name)\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\).
Look for iPresentInterval=1, and change it to iPresentInterval=0 This should unlock your frame rate.
Nice. That definitely fixed the fps problem in borderless mode for me. I ended up locking the FPS rate to 60 in nvidia control panel for this game just to make sure the physics stuff doesn't break. :)

I would still like to know why some peeps are stuck @ 30fps and others like myself are locked @ 60fps when playing vanilla FO4??
I've played FO4 with all kinds of HW, mostly low and old HW and have never experienced this before.

I would still like to know why some peeps are stuck @ 30fps and others like myself are locked @ 60fps when playing vanilla FO4??
I've played FO4 with all kinds of HW, mostly low and old HW and have never experienced this before.
You could try using high physics fps fix. That unlocked it for me.

Back