Fallout 4 is coming, time for video card(s) for 3 monitors

RevMen

Limp Gawd
I recently installed a new motherboard, memory, cpu, SSD, so most of my system is fresh. But I'm just using on-board video for now, since I'm not playing any games. I need to choose the games I play wisely, since I have a tendency to disappear from the world and not get much done. I'll be making the choice to play Fallout 4.

So I need to find a video card or video cards. I've been out of the market for so long I have no idea what I should be looking at.

I have 3 monitors, each 1600 x 1200 resolution, for a total resolution of 4800 x 1200.

What kind of GPU investment am I going to need to make to be able to play FO4 smoothly, with medium-ish detail, on all 3 monitors? What would be the the most sensible choice in video card to make this happen?

I realize we're probably talking $700 at least, and possibly more than $1000 to make this happen. I'm OK with that (just don't tell my wife).

3k, yikes.

your going to need xfire or sli.

id say 2x390, with 8GB of memory, that should hold you for a while.

2x980/tis will be faster, with 6GB of memory, but its a lot more expensive

Last edited:
980 Ti should be all you need.

That's a 2/3 the pixels of 4k. Perfectly doable with a single GPU!

It's 50% more pixels than 1440p, which can be easily accomplished at mid to high with a GTX 970.

You'll be fine with a singe GTX 980 Ti, which is 75% faster than the 970.

And if you absolutely must have better performance, you can always grab a second :D

Last edited:
i dunno, that might be cutting a bit close with a single 980ti for upcoming games.

They arent going to get any less complicated/power hungry

I went with a evga 980 ti classified for playing Battlefront and Fall Out 4 on 3 x 1920x1200 monitors.

battlefront isnt very demanding.

FO4 however, we don't know yet.

FO3 was poorly optimized (like most Bethesda games..lol) when it was first released and required a butload of power. NV was a lot more efficient.

battlefront isnt very demanding.

FO4 however, we don't know yet.

FO3 was poorly optimized (like most Bethesda games..lol) when it was first released and required a butload of power. NV was a lot more efficient.

Then let's recommend he wait until then game is released? I mean, for such a massive title there will be day 1 benchmarks.

I'm sure we'll know exactly what to recommend then!

Perhaps he wants to play day 1.

i know for certain titles i dont want to wait and miss out on all the fun......

But waiting would obviously be the most prudent approach...

Pick any custom cooled GTX 980TI and you will be fine.. EVGA classified, Gigabyte G1, Asus Strix will trounce any dual R9 390/390X configuration and will offer higher playable settings and FPS... nobody can speak about future release but if we recall history fallout tittles aren't well known for being extremely graphic intensive or demanding... a high clocked 980TI it's the safest and best bet actually.

My most prudent approach would be to get a PS4. But then I couldn't lock myself in my office for 2 weeks.

What's the next step above a single 980 Ti? Can you SLI a 980 Ti with another, less expensive card?

My most prudent approach would be to get a PS4. But then I couldn't lock myself in my office for 2 weeks.

What's the next step above a single 980 Ti? Can you SLI a 980 Ti with another, less expensive card?

Nope. Cards need to be the same to be combined.

If you absolutely must have triple screen gaming, you absolutely can't power it for cheap. Single 1600x1200 panel would be comparatively easy (doable for around $160-200)

But I still think you'll be fine with a GTX 980 Ti. Can't prove it until benchmarks are released though.

You know why the PS4 only costs $400? Because it can barely drive a 1600x1200 screen.

2x390/x would deff be faster than a single 980ti, obviously 2x980ti would be faster yet, but very expensive.

id stay away from 2x970/980 due to potential future memory limitations

2x390/x would deff be faster than a single 980ti, obviously 2x980ti would be faster yet, but very expensive.

Which is why he should wait until release to make the call.

After all, it would be incredibly foolish of him to buy into a 390X CFX setup when multi-gpu scaling is broken on release, wouldn't it?

This is why if he must buy today, a GTX 980 Ti is the only choice. Release crossfire drivers for new AAA games has not been AMD's strong point, now has it? Or the game could have multi-gpu scaling broken in their own game code (broken for all cards), fixed later in a patch.

I've seen both happen before, multiple times.

RevMen, just wait until release day, and Amazon 1 day whatever card you pick. Or just walk into a Microcenter.

Last edited:
Pick any custom cooled GTX 980TI and you will be fine.. EVGA classified, Gigabyte G1, Asus Strix will trounce any dual R9 390/390X configuration and will offer higher playable settings and FPS... nobody can speak about future release but if we recall history fallout tittles aren't well known for being extremely graphic intensive or demanding... a high clocked 980TI it's the safest and best bet actually.

This seems like the way to go. The ASUS looks attractive. It seems like it's sure to deliver a playable framerate, even if quality needs to be dialed down. If I'm wanting to play at high quality, I can save up my pennies for a few months and add another one.

I'd wait to see if it runs better on AMD or Nvidia cards, won't know until a bit after release.

P.S. I also advise against Crossfire unless there is a really big price advantage. I actually have Crossfire and it just plain doesn't work on some things. Even when it does work it doesn't necessary scale perfectly.

Back