Fallout 4 DLC Explained, Season Pass Price Increase Coming

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Bethesda Blog has posted all the details on the upcoming DLC for Fallout 4. The most important thing to note about this update is that the season pass is going up in price from $29.99 to $49.99 on March 1st. If you were on the fence about buying a season pass, now is a good time to snag it before the price increase.

Given the expanded DLC plan, the price of the season pass will increase from the current $29.99 to $49.99 USD (£24.99 to £39.99 GBP; $49.95 to $79.95 AUD) on March 1, 2016. However, if you already purchased the season pass for $29.99, nothing changes - you still get everything at no additional cost— the full $60 offering of add-on content for the original price of $29.99. In addition, if you didn’t buy the season pass yet, there is still time: anyone who buys the Season Pass for $29.99 before March 1st will get all $60 worth of content. This is our way of saying thanks to all our loyal fans who have believed in us and supported us over the years.

Got the season pass on launch day with the game. Considering how expensive some season passes can be for some games, I figured $29.99 wasn't nearly as bad. No way would I've dropped $49.99 for it.

60$ for base game... and 50$ for DLC?!?
I cannot justify 110$ on a game. EVEN for Fallout 4.

Axe

I like how extending the initial price is their way of "thanking their fans and users". :rolleyes: I feel honored that I still have the chance to buy the season pass for normal price before they arbitrarily increase it.

To be fair, Bethesda does release a lot of really good extended content (maybe with the exception of horse armor :D ) but I really have a problem with the practice of price increases after the fact. If you plan a Season pass for a certain price to entitle the user to all DLC then you should honor that through the life of the product IMO. If you want to increase your general season pass prices, do it at your next release. Don't increase an existing one.

I don't get it. Things usually get cheaper with time. What is the reason behind a price bump? I'm not paying 30 for the option that I might get something later that might not even interest me. Let alone 50, for virtually nothing.
Season passes are like buying car you haven't seen and you don't even know its make and model
Since Fallout 4 launched, we’ve been blown away by your support for the game. It stands as our most successful title ever and that couldn’t have happened without you
And to show our appreciation we're shafting everyone by raising the price by 60%

Last edited:
I like how extending the initial price is their way of "thanking their fans and users". :rolleyes: I feel honored that I still have the chance to buy the season pass for normal price before they arbitrarily increase it.

$50? I'll pay no more than $18 for it, thank you very much! (Which I just did)

I don't get it. Things usually get cheaper with time. What is the reason behind a price bump? I'm not paying 30 for the option that I might get something later that might not even interest me. Let alone 50, for virtually nothing.
Season passes are like buying car you haven't seen and you don't even know its make and model

They say there will be more DLC:
«And more important, that this is only the beginning. We have plans for more. More than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.»

$50? I'll pay no more than $18 for it, thank you very much! (Which I just did)

They say there will be more DLC:
«And more important, that this is only the beginning. We have plans for more. More than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.»
Yeah 60 worth at unrealistically inflated prices. $25 for story DLC, by that definition it should contain at least 40% of the content of the base game. I doubt that's the case.

Even if they did expand the original plans, this is just shit marketing.

Yeah 60 worth at unrealistically inflated prices. $25 for story DLC, by that definition it should contain at least 40% of the content of the base game. I doubt that's the case.

Even if they did expand the original plans, this is just shit marketing.

They claim that Far Harbour is going to be their biggest DLC landmass, ever. Of course this is Bethesda so it's probably bovine excrement.

I suspect this might be stunt to bait people into buying season passes. They might not be selling as well as they expected. Where I live they're pumping it for €30 which is ridiculous. Stores still have them in stock from last November, when they didn't expect them to last two weeks.

All the more reason to wait for the GOTY edition to come out that inculdes all the DLC. Im not in a hurry seeing as I still have a lot of time left in Fallout 3 and have yet to start New Vegas.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
Another money grab by Bethy. Can't say I'm surprised by this. Some of the sidequests are fun but overall a lazy game.

Another money grab by Bethy. Can't say I'm surprised by this. Some of the sidequests are fun but overall a lazy game.

they gave everyone a chance to buy it cheaper, i paid 45 for the game and 23 for the season pass.

Until people boycott this shit, it will just get worse and worse.

Somewhere, they were recently talking about how the target price for video games needs to be $110-120.

$50.00 for a season pass? That means at least $70.00 CAD. Good thing I am not buying the base dumbed down RPG FO4 or their season pass. Still haven't finished FO3 or FOLV anyway. I am being very smart about what games I buy now, I'm being very selective and only buy heavily discounted games. I used to spend a couple of hundred on Steam sales but I bought none from the Xmas sale and this Lunar sale they just had I bought Endless Legend for under $12.00 CAD. My wallet loves me.

they gave everyone a chance to buy it cheaper, i paid 45 for the game and 23 for the season pass.

Same here, I'm into this game for $68 total for the base game and season pass. I'm pretty confident I will get my monies worth.

Why are people so quick to find the negative in everything? Think $50 is too much? Buy it now for $30 ($24 at GMG). Don't want in now? Don't buy it and you're no worse off. I don't see this as a money grab. I think their plans for the game changed based on how successful it was. I'm honestly not sure they anticipated how well the game would sell. Best I can find, FO3 moved 4.7 million units in its first week. The only comparable sales info I can find for New Vegas is 5 million copies after ~3 weeks. By comparison, FO4's 12 million copies in 24 hours is insanely high. If they were projecting FO4 to sell similar to the previous games, they might have re-evaluated how long they intended to support the game post-release when it blew past any other game they have released. I don't think it's outlandish to believe that after the game was so successful, Bethesda realized they can support the game longer, and release DLC later into it's cycle, subsequently adding content that was not planned prior to launch. If that's the case, their option becomes raise the price of the season pass, or continue to release DLC that is not included in it. Considering how much Borderlands 2 was scrutinized for the later, I can understand why Beth would instead want to try their hand at upping the season pass cost.

And it still doesn't change the fact that anyone who already got it, or gets it in the next two weeks, is simply getting more content than they otherwise would have, totally free. It amazes me that people are able to find something in that to complain about.

To be fair, Bethesda does release a lot of really good extended content (maybe with the exception of horse armor :D ) but I really have a problem with the practice of price increases after the fact. If you plan a Season pass for a certain price to entitle the user to all DLC then you should honor that through the life of the product IMO. If you want to increase your general season pass prices, do it at your next release. Don't increase an existing one.

The purpose of season pass is to get customers to "invest" in the development of future content. The greater the investment, the better idea they have on how much content they should plan for and still make that good old bottom line.

See, if I sell 1 Million copies of the game, and I get a 75% adoption of Season Pass, I have already determined how much money I have available for development of the content. I take my slice off the top for profit and get busy looking at what's left and planning on what I will deliver for it.

Bethesda is not even innovating their RPGs anymore and going by FO4 reviews they are dumbing them down so unless they get off their ass and innovate I don't even see a good reason to buy their RPGs.

The purpose of season pass is to get customers to "invest" in the development of future content. The greater the investment, the better idea they have on how much content they should plan for and still make that good old bottom line.

See, if I sell 1 Million copies of the game, and I get a 75% adoption of Season Pass, I have already determined how much money I have available for development of the content. I take my slice off the top for profit and get busy looking at what's left and planning on what I will deliver for it.

And, I have absolutely no problem with exactly what you just stated. No problem with DLC, no problem with a Season Pass for ALL DLC, etc. The problem I have is that they should SET A PRICE for the Season Pass, and then LEAVE IT THERE. The fact that they've been selling it since release for $29, and then want to raise it now, is what I have a problem with. I see this as just another little step toward pushing the price for a COMPLETE GAME into the stratosphere.

"Oh look, people will still buy the Season Pass after we are charging over 30% more for it. Let's do this on every release." Once people are fine with that, they'll find some other was to squeak in new charges for something. Once people are used to that, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I am all for paying a reasonable price for something I find value in. I'm all for developers getting a fair amount of compensation for their work, especially knowing the working conditions most of them endure. I'm not however for jacking things up arbitrarily after a price has been set for an existing product. I'm by no means a cheapskate, and can actually be quite impulsive and frivolous, but I find this particular case to be in bad taste. (In fact, if you look at another recent thread, you'll find me arguing that a short game shouldn't necessarily mean a lower price (within reason...))

I mean, they are completely free to do this, but the fact that they are doesn't make me want to all of a sudden jump on the $29 one, and feel honored that they ALLOWED me to still do this for another month FOR MY SAKE. Then I also don't think I'll be paying $49 for it when it does go up, because I think that's a bit beyond what I think it's probably going to be worth. (I may change my mind if some incredible new content shows up that I just have to have.) I'm sounding somewhat contradictory here I realize. I think it mostly just bothers me how it was presented, how they're trying to spin it, and so far, they haven't showed anything that might make me go, "OH! It really will be worth the $45 if I wait...)

My gut reaction is that I don't like this. They could definitely sway me one way or the other. I could jump now while the price is low, but I don't like feeling like they're forcing my hand there either. Likely, I will wait and see what they have to offer, then try to find it discounted for close to the original price, unless it's absolutely incredible and worth every penny of the new price. Then I might buy for that just to support it. In that case, they would have proven my gut reaction wrong, which I'm open to. For now, that reaction will guide my actions. :D

I do have the base game, and have barely put any time into it yet, so I'm in now hurry no matter how the DLC turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, some Season Passes now have an expiration date, so they just wait it out.

Bethesda is not even innovating their RPGs anymore and going by FO4 reviews they are dumbing them down so unless they get off their ass and innovate I don't even see a good reason to buy their RPGs.

Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG... hell Borderlands 2 is a better RPG with deeper skills and builds in a better post-apocalyptic world. Fallout 4 is such a disappointment.

I looked at maybe buying Borderlands2 during last Steam sale but the graphics style turns me off.

I looked at maybe buying Borderlands2 during last Steam sale but the graphics style turns me off.
I stayed away from borderlands because of the graphics. And then when I finally tried it I realized that graphics is the least of it's problems.

Reactions: atom
like this
I'll just wait until the Legendary version of Fallout 4 goes on sale for $20 on Steam.

Coincidentally, I am just now installing Skyrim to play it for the first time, because it looks like the community is just about finished fixing all the bugs.

I stayed away from borderlands because of the graphics. And then when I finally tried it I realized that graphics is the least of it's problems.

I read Borderlands2 is *much* better than the first Borderlands. You bought the wrong version.

Sooo...how's 'bout you guys quit whining about it being $50 on March 1st and buy it now for less than half of that (via GMG with code)?

Or does that just not coincide with the "bitch about everything" narrative?

Don't they already have enough of my money??

I dunno, do they? That's entirely up to you. You're certainly under no obligation to buy the season pass.

Reactions: atom
like this
I'll just wait until the Legendary version of Fallout 4 goes on sale for $20 on Steam.

Coincidentally, I am just now installing Skyrim to play it for the first time, because it looks like the community is just about finished fixing all the bugs.

DING DING DING!

I plan on doing the same thing. I did it with FO3, New Vegas, and Skyrim.

I don't pay full price for games. I can wait for a good deal. I've got a backlog enough as is, and this gives me more time to upgrade the 6970.

Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG... hell Borderlands 2 is a better RPG with deeper skills and builds in a better post-apocalyptic world. Fallout 4 is such a disappointment.

You've got that right. It's sad to say, but it's true.

I would rather they increase the price instead of the method now of some having done of adding a second session to the pass. Case in point. I spent $90 on Mortal Kombat X to get all DLC. Now they added season 2 and I would have to pay another $30 I think to get now the new content. I would have rather that said we are going to add more stuff later and you can now pay more for the pass instead of selling a second pass. If they are now adding over twice as much DLC I would rather pay for that all now instead of paying one price now and only getting half before having to pay again.

Sooo...how's 'bout you guys quit whining about it being $50 on March 1st and buy it now for less than half of that (via GMG with code)?

Or does that just not coincide with the "bitch about everything" narrative?

I dunno, do they? That's entirely up to you. You're certainly under no obligation to buy the season pass.

How about you quit assuming we spent $50 and didn't just buy it now? Not the brightest bulb. Are you bitching about "bitch about everything"?

How about you quit assuming we spent $50 and didn't just buy it now? Not the brightest bulb. Are you bitching about "bitch about everything"?

Quit assuming? Roughly half of the posts before mine were specifically complaining about it being priced at $50. That's hardly an assumption.

Quit assuming? Roughly half of the posts before mine were specifically complaining about it being priced at $50. That's hardly an assumption.
Really? I'm not reading that anyone actually spent that much. Unless this new forum layout (which hurts my eyes and difficult to read) is blocking or hiding them. My apologies if I am incorrect. You are still bitching though.

Back