Fallout 3 preview up at IGN.

Wildace

Supreme [H]ardness
http://pc.ign.com/articles/800/800570p1.html

looks like its shaping up to be one hell of an rpg, i cant wait for this game. for those that dont know its for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

the targeting system looks good, being able to choose where you want to hit head/legs/torso even the weapons in thier hand ect.

I'm just hoping there will be no Oblivion influence in it, gameplay wise.

What's with all this coverage? Is it coming out in a month?!

(rhetorical question)

first person AND real time?

cry

realtime combat is optional. you can choose to play it like the KOTOR seires also but with alot more detail in the targeting system.

first person is optional also.

War. War never changes.

haha!! hell yes. That bus reminded me of resident evil 2. Anybody else?

realtime combat is optional. you can choose to play it like the KOTOR seires also but with alot more detail in the targeting system.

first person is optional also.
first person was optional in Oblivion too, but that didn't work out to well. and also isn't the realtime more like a gameplay feature thing, where you can pause time and select actions based on the amount of "action points"

The way I see it, people that want it to be just like the first two Fallout games should go play the first two.

There is no progress without change. I think it is going to be an excellent game, and I can't wait to play it.

The way I see it, people that want it to be just like the first two Fallout games should go play the first two.

There is no progress without change. I think it is going to be an excellent game, and I can't wait to play it.

This is Bethesda's interpretation of Fallout. I personally don't like the direction they took it, but it is not going to change. It still sounds like a good game, but it is IMO dissappointing as a direct Fallout sequel (but then there isn't much that wouldn't be).

The problem with Bethesda's games are that their main target and developing platform is the xbox360. I really wish they would develop a PC game and then work it so that it works with the limitations of consoles instead of the limitations of consoles being pushed to the PC.

It looks like it will be a great game. The mechanics might be different but the game should still have the great Fallout atmosphere about it.

One nice thing to see is they wont be doing that annoying level scaling like in oblivion (read below).

it's worth mentioning that Fallout 3 does away with a lot of the auto-leveling problems of Oblivion. Many areas have a distinct difficulty level that doesn't change through the course of the game. Moreover, monsters of the same type will be somewhat consistent in their abilities so we won't see a return of the ridiculously powerful minor creatures that eventually began to appear in Oblivion.

"The one radical departure Bethesda is making to the Fallout format is that they're putting the game in a first person format. There are also options for a Resident Evil-style shoulder camera, or a more traditional isometric view. Even though those other two cameras are included, Bethesda intends that the players should benefit from the immersion provided by the first-person perspective. "

"Despite the first-person perspective and real-time combat, Fallout 3 is still an RPG at heart so combat will be decided more by character skills and weapon quality than by your skills with the mouse. Players who feel a bit challenged by the more intense real-time battles or players who simply want to take a bit more control over combat can make use of the impressive Vault-Tech Assisted Targeting System (VATS). The feature is essentially a more detailed version of the combat system in Knights of the Old Republic. "

So basicly it means they intend you to play in first person for the better immersion factor. but sence there is AN optional combat style like KOTOR you will be able to play in third person without the limitations of not being able to aim your gun as if it was a First person only game like some of the downfalls of trying to play in third person in Oblivion those problems wont be in Fallout.

There are many games out there with the isometric viewpoint. And there are many games out there with turn-based combat. But few of these were as good as Fallout.

Conclusion: The combat model and the camera angle weren't what made Fallout great.
Corollary: You can change these things and still make a sequel which is good for the same reasons the original was good.

I'm not saying at this point that it will be good, or that it'll be true to the originals. I'm just saying that if it isn't, then it won't be because the combat and perspective aren't carbon copies of the original.

Of course, they certainly could ruin it with a bad enough combat system - I don't think it'd feel like a faithful translation if it played like a generic FPS - but the model they've got in place seems like it could reproduce much of the slow-paced, calculated tactical combat in the originals, if done right. For example: Someone attacks you. You head through the nearest door. Pause it in the doorway, fire off a few shots until your action points are spent, then duck behind the door frame to recharge them, and repeat. Ambush them if they make it to the doorway alive. This is probably sounding pretty familiar to anyone who's played the originals...

EDIT: So it seems they are including the isometric perspective, even though they're not designing the game around it (as was the case with the top-down camera in GTA3).

I wish they would have stuck with the old format. I'm not a FPS guy. Hrm.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the Fallout games - they're supposedly some of the best ever developed for the PC, up there with my personal favorite (Deus Ex:D).

Looks very promising ... Bethesda rocks.

first person was optional in Oblivion too, but that didn't work out to well. and also isn't the realtime more like a gameplay feature thing, where you can pause time and select actions based on the amount of "action points"
Perhaps you might try actually reading the preview before offering up your, oh so insightful, opinion. Particularly focus on the part about how the third person has been dramatically improved over Oblivion and even includes and adjustable camera so that you can play it in top down view like the original games.

Looks interesting, I was a bit put off by the news that it'd be first-person, but it looks like they've handled it well with the pausing and action points. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I think this game will live or die based on the quality of the content and execution, rather than the flashiness of the technology behind it. It'll be hard to tell how good it'll be until some reasonably long gameplay videos come out.

For me this game will make it or break it depending on if I can still sleep with girls in the whore houses (if any). Also depends on how well they pull off the original vibe of the first two. I enjoyed the fact that some of the traits were really crazy like sex appeal. Made it so the game was replayable numerous times.

So far it looks promising, can't wait for the next preview.

the technology is there to make a good looking game, however half the game goes into the writing of dialogues, plot, characters ; it's what makes the oldest of RPGs still replayable today.

Well said. I'm a massive fan of the originals, but as much as I love them I feel that simply making another in the same way would probably be a bit boring and would lead people to directly compare their experience playing Fallout 3 to it's predecesors (which is bad because we need to play Fallout 3 and enjoy it for it's own merits and not constantly outline any shortfalls it might have which always happens in sequels to good games)

I think the games premis it's such a good idea, and such a vivid and believable game world that the point of view in which you play it is almost irrelevant, I think the originals would have been just as good had the playing perspective been different.

If they keep the freedom, the humour, the extreme violence and all the other traits that made the originals so good, then they will be onto a winner.

i won't like it, but I'll probably adjust to the first-person view. however, if they fuck up the tone of the game (atmosphere, jokes, violence, gameplay mechanics), Bethesda will find themselves on the receiving end of a pretty nasty fan revolt. The Fallout series (which I've played since the day the first one was released -- and, yes, I've played Wasteland) is one of those series that has a _RABID_ fan following. Pissing them off is not wise, as has been found out upon the release of both Tactics as well as BoS.

Those fucking No Mutants Allowed whiners can fuck off and die. They want to piss, bitch and moan about hair on lizard-men, fine but I'll be enjoying what promises to be an awesome game while they do.

Those fucking No Mutants Allowed whiners can fuck off and die. They want to piss, bitch and moan about hair on lizard-men, fine but I'll be enjoying what promises to be an awesome game while they do.

I tend to agree with this guy. Like I said before, after reading through about 5-10 pages of posts on the article that was posted in that magazine not too long ago, i've come to the conslusion that a whinier, more pessimistic bunch of people cant possibly exist.

I tend to agree with this guy. Like I said before, after reading through about 5-10 pages of posts on the article that was posted in that magazine not too long ago, i've come to the conslusion that a whinier, more pessimistic bunch of people cant possibly exist.

you forgot the Star Wars fans

Back