Fallout 3 PC patch claiming release later today

Posted this in the crashing thread:

Pete Hines says we should expect a FO3 patch today. From Eurogamer.net

16:11:35 -
dl77 asks: Will there be a patch to add southpaw controls for the left-handed people out there? And what about a fix for the various PC niggles?

Pete Hines: Well on the 360 the console itself actually handles that. You change it in your control options, so we don't bother doing it in the game. I'll have to check on how PS3 works.

As far as fixes, there's a PC update coming out later today that will address a few PC-specific things that have come up. Can't give you any details yet beyond that as far as what else might be in the works for any of the three platforms.

<edit>Nm, you have the link now.

Must be some serious stuff that needs fixing if Bethesda's patching methods concerning Oblivion are anything to go by (just about zero support unless immediate fix is required).

Must be some serious stuff that needs fixing if Bethesda's patching methods concerning Oblivion are anything to go by (just about zero support unless immediate fix is required).

Lots of people having crashes all over the place and in some cases not even being able to get the game off the ground at all is pretty serious. ;)

Wow, that was fast. Hopefully this will alleviate the "start up screen" graphics glitch and often CTD issues.

Update on the patch here.
Hey all, I wanted to give you an update on this…

It looks like this patch might not being going up today, but you should expect it sometime this week. You should know the patch only fixes some crashing on exiting the game, as requested by Microsoft.

We’re also moving along with pulling together a more extensive update. We’re still in the process of going through and looking at any issues/fixes, and once that is done there is lots of additional testing/fixing that has to be done before it can be released. Similarly, we're looking into matters on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

When I’ve got more information, I’ll pass it along.

You should know the patch only fixes some crashing on exiting the game, as requested by Microsoft.

Hell yeah, go get 'em Microsoft. Windows Feedback is starting to pay off.

The key pharase here, for the actual making of the patch, or anything at all, is "[...]as requested by Microsoft."
wink.gif

nice, if a company wont release a patch because the community wants it, atleast microsoft has the strong arm to make somehting happen lol, even if its not the patch we wanted, im happy microsoft is forcing them to do something for us right now.

It's a start, but it doesn't seem (key word) to address random crashes happening while playing the game itself, not just while exiting.

I bet Microsoft has been getting a ton of error reports because of the crash on exit.

I hope in the patch they include a fix for the NPC's randomly dying error. I'm so hopelessly addicted to Fallout 3.

i got it working and played for an hour. but then i was fighting raider dudes and my screen faded to black. then i had to hit my pc power button.

I havent even been able to load it. Crashes right after the "Please Wait" screen shows up. Yes, I exceed the minimum requirements. We will see. Huge fan of the first two fallouts, and I really wanna give it a shot!

I didn't want to start a new thread I have a question:

Sheath/Weapon Key... Oblivion had one you ran faster with your weapon sheathed. I can't seem to find anyway to put my weapon away. Does FO3 have one?

I didn't want to start a new thread I have a question:

Sheath/Weapon Key... Oblivion had one you ran faster with your weapon sheathed. I can't seem to find anyway to put my weapon away. Does FO3 have one?

Hold R down

I bet Microsoft has been getting a ton of error reports because of the crash on exit.

I've made a point of making sure all of mine get through. Something's got to give after a point. ;)

wow, I havent had a single issue yet after hours of gameplay. I have a graphical tear here and there but Ive not crashed once. I had to click "close program" when I quit the game once or twice. Hopefully this patche fixes your issues.

I'm with Sound Guy, I've had I believe one crash since I purchased the game, and a few close programs when quitting the game, nothing major or anything that interferes with gameplay.

When the hell is the patch coming out. I was looking for it last night on Bethesda's website, but couldn't find it anywhere, not that I really need it.

I crashed once while exiting the game after my initial install, but haven't had any problems since.

I'm having lag issues sometimes when I teleport with pip boy or use VATS, anyone else have this problem?

When the hell is the patch coming out. I was looking for it last night on Bethesda's website, but couldn't find it anywhere, not that I really need it.

I crashed once while exiting the game after my initial install, but haven't had any problems since.

They changed it to sometime this week.

I really hope this patch fixes the crashing I'm getting. I've only played an hour and I've crashed 4 times. (black screen freeze required reboot) I tried adding it to the do not use ffdshow list but that didn't help at all.

4. Update 1.0.0.15 Notes
Bug Fixes

Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.

Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.

The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.

I've played for ~ 6 hours straight today and it never crashed on me :) It stutters like hell though, as soon as the fps dip below 60 it stutters like mad. They never drop below 40 still it lags :/

I'm having lag issues sometimes when I teleport with pip boy or use VATS, anyone else have this problem?

try disabling AA if you're currently running it. Worked for me (though the game looks MUCH better with AA :()

From what I've read it seems to affect Nvidia cards more often

When I OC my card it seems to crash more often, I"m backing off a bit to see if it improves.

It's out.

It came through Windows Live for me earlier today. I'll find out later if it did any good...

I have had a handful of crashes, but never anything serious. Nothing more than force-closing the application and then restarting it immediately. I have been playing for multi-hour stretches at a time without crashes, and after a good 10 or so hours have experienced 3 crashes (one was a crash upon closing the application, and two were in-game).

Because of how frequently the game saves and how frequently I quicksave, I'm not bothered.

As an aside: this game is absolutely awesome.

The only bug I've had is Alt+Tabbing in and out. I can't get the cursor to come back up in windows. If I Ctrl+Alt+Del it then it crashes.

The only bug I've had is Alt+Tabbing in and out. I can't get the cursor to come back up in windows. If I Ctrl+Alt+Del it then it crashes.

See that's the funny thing, I've had flawless Alt-Tabbing. Works nicely for Skype...

This patch didn't help me. Still having random game crashes.

Fixed my crash on exit, haven't played a long enough session t judge the whole package yet.

Also fixed my crash on exit. I'm not 100% sure but I think the patch resolved the HDR issue I was having with my ATI 5870 cards.

The sky would instantly transition from bright to really bright when looking towards the sun, creating a "blinking" effect, now it transitions smoothly. Not sure if this is due to the patch or some setting i may have changed in CCC.

Back