Fallout 3 noticebly inferior on PS3

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Was watching the Gamespot review and they made it a point to talk about the PS3's inferior quality when compared to the 360 or PC versions of Fallout 3. Anyone here with the PS3 version care to chime in? They showed a little bit of it, and the sky looked really washed out and there was a noticeable clipping from the view distance being limited. :mad:

There are like, 10 threads in the other forum about this. Sadly it seems most agree that the ps3 version is worse than the 360 version. PC superior graphics wise obviously.

10 other threads? Hrm, my bad I didn't see a single one.. but yeah, PC quality was a given.

edit: just noticed the big thread in general gaming. woopsy :eek:

10 other threads? Hrm, my bad I didn't see a single one.. but yeah, PC quality was a given.

edit: just noticed the big thread in general gaming. woopsy :eek:

I wasn't trying to burn you, just pointing out a few ongoing threads. Seems like every fallout thread has people talking about the differences between the three versions.

from what i saw the ps3 has better lighting than the 360 version but lacks aa and the textures are a little more washed out. I'm glad I got the pc version as it is far superior to both

Why is it that I always read how ps3 has the inferior version of any multi console game... dmc4, gta4, etc...

Why is it that I always read how ps3 has the inferior version of any multi console game... dmc4, gta4, etc...

it just does i guess, sony bragged about how great the ps3 would be and how its hardware was so "advanced" and that it would make you want to save up to buy it. due to the fact that the ps3 is harder to code for as well as having an inferior gpu (debatable) and less ram than the 360 caused most of the multi platform games to suffer on the ps3. ya it has the cell but big whoop-d-do even on modern pc hardware games are barely optimized beyond the use of two cores making the 7 virtual cores of the ps3 pretty much useless. don't get me wrong the ps3 is a great machine and games designed just for the ps3 prove that but on multi platform games its just not cost or time effective to try and optimize the ps3 version enough to make it look as good as its 360 counterpart.

Mainly because it´s GPU is weaker on the PS 3 then the 360 counterpart... Generally developers seem to aim for they both being equal to not upset Sony or MS but in most games the PS 3 is certainly the weaker part. It´s not just that it´s harder to develope for. PS 3 probably have more better CPU power (however look how hard it is to optimize for dual core yet quad cores you see why the cell doesn´t deliver) so they try to use that as in better lightning to compensate as much as they can. Then you have the fact the weak nvidia GPU and as you may know from PC Gaming video card is definiatly priority number one by miles :). Think it´s nice to see games where there is actual differences. That means hopefully like in this case the developers tried to get the max out of each system instead of optimizing around the weakest part (PS 3).

The graphics potential of PS3 is contained inside the combination of RSX + Cell. 90% of multi-platform developers aren't making the extra effort to push PS3 graphically. For low level hardware reasons, porting PC/X360 code to PS3 yields less than optimal results. They want to make the direct X windoze stuff and shoe horn that into PS3.

They need to plan ahead and it will benefit all systems. There are developers ensuring their games are excellent on both systems. Burnout Revenge and COD4 are two examples. X360 was the lead on FO3. Porting to PC is second nature. I imagine the PS3 effort had a fraction of the budget. Hacks like Bethesda aren't coding to the metal. Most of it is middle-ware.

I read an IBM white paper discussing how 4 Cell SPEs have the potential shading power of 24 pixel ALUs on the RSX. With the Flex/IO bridge, procedurally generated textures are a possibility too. X360 gpu stands on its own. Real world there isn't a large difference between RSX and Xenos. Compared to the modern PC GPUs, they're both quite weak. Although optimized code, inside a closed box, is capable of a lot. Ratchet Future's graphics are pure RSX. I never saw anything like that during the NV70 PC era. Regarding textures etc..another problem is the O/S. It's a memory hog. Started around 64mb and is now down to about 40mb. X360 only uses ~20mb.

One good thing on PS3's behalf is Sony retains the best quality first party developers. They've got more studios working exclusively on their behalf than anyone. That makes up for some sub par multi-platform games, many of which I can play on PC. If you do 100% of your gaming on console, X360's consistency might be safer.

stereophile -

i think its more about the money you can dev a game for the pc/360 and take alot less time then just port it over. ps3 sales are alot lower so its smarter to put your effort where the money is. thats just my take.

i understand what you are saying (dont feel or care about seeing if its true) but you have to look at the money. the ps3 is not the money maker right now so a buisness will make sure it goes black before it worries about anything else.

X360 has more sales, but I don't think its that significant. PS3 still represents a lot of market and is worth developing for. However Microsoft did a good job with the their SDK, its a familiar development environment for PC developers and it allows PC and X360 games to be porter between each other a lot easier then before. It just makes the most sense for a developer to start with X360/PC and then port to PS3. Unfortunately porting is sometimes done by a 3rd party company like the Orange Box. The main development team usually doesn't have the time to port and optimize the game of other platforms so they outsource it to another team. Sometimes the results are good and often not so much.

Either way for Fallout 3, I'm a PC!
After playing 100 hours of oblivion on X360, I'm so glad I got it for PC. Super fast load times, high res graphics, low noise, and I still get achievements (yes it matters!). I'm sure after the Fall update the X360 version will load faster and you won't have to worry about the jet engine sound.

One good thing on PS3's behalf is Sony retains the best quality first party developers. They've got more studios working exclusively on their behalf than anyone. That makes up for some sub par multi-platform games, many of which I can play on PC. If you do 100% of your gaming on console, X360's consistency might be safer.

This is something I wish Microsoft would have retained. It seems they pretty much killed off all of their dev teams from Xbox 1 and instead just funded 2nd tier Japanese developers to create games for MGS. They really could have built upon some of their last gen IP's like Crimson Skies and anything Mechwarrior/assault/commander. I guess it just makes more business sense to have other people do the work for you though and just sit back and collect the royalties.

They should of gotten with Naughty Dog or Insomniac studios for some pointers...

Wheres the proof? While I dont doubt that its true I still want to see how bad it is. Im doing the PC version anyways, and if the textures on the consoles are as bad as the textures are when you play as 1280x720 then they both suck because the textures at that resolution are horrible compared to the 1680+ textures.

Wheres the proof? While I dont doubt that its true I still want to see how bad it is. Im doing the PC version anyways, and if the textures on the consoles are as bad as the textures are when you play as 1280x720 then they both suck because the textures at that resolution are horrible compared to the 1680+ textures.

I got the 360 version and I kinda wish I would have gotten the PC version instead. The game doesn't look bad but it's nothing superb either. Also there's a LOT of slowdown towards the end of the game (especially during the final assault). The reason it looks better on 360 than PS3 because the 360 was the lead development platform (not the PC or PS3).

It's not just textures. And yes, it's possible for two pictures at 720 to look different.

Fallout 3 is somewhat inferior on PS3 (minor issues here and there) but it is still great.
It is still a bit disappointing!

Well its not like all versions do not have problems... I think its fairly safe to say it would be nice if Bethesda released a patch for this game on all platforms:

***Possible Spoilers!***

Playstation 3

* Slow or Jerky Movement while in The Vault. (akin to Lag in an Online game), might be fixed by rebooting your PS3
* Graphic Glitch - Officer at Birthday Scene has left eye that stretches out for the entire viewable screen and follows head / eye movement
* Game freezes during GOAT exam, may be circumvented by saving and reloading.
* At the birthday scene, the door in the back opens up after some dialogue, and if you go through, you will be warped to another part of the vault, with no way back to the birthday scene
* Jefferson Memorial Freeze - While traveling or approaching the Jefferson memorial during main quest the PS3 freezes.
* Random objects blocking models both PC and NPC.
* Dogmeat rocks quickly forward and backward as though his physics are off when standing idle. This seems to be triggered when loading a save where Dogmeat is set to the "Stay" command. Fast traveling and reboot do not fix it. Only loading an earlier save will correct the problem.
* After visiting the GNR building, the player may find themselves permanently locked out the building.
* Speech Errors - NPC's mouth moves during dialogue but nothing is said. Script/subtitles at the bottom of the screen "fast forward".
* when playing with notification messages turned on the game may freeze, the game will return to normal after the notification has gone, go to system settings and turn off notification messages to solve the problem.
* Megaton NPCs dead for no reason - Possible death from falling from a height.

Xbox 360

* Cannot read disk during tuning of the "Radio" or any other random event, usually at the beginning of gameplay. The longer you play, the less likely this happens. Restart system fixes.
* Sometimes while approaching the Jefferson Memorial the game freezes. Clearing cache does not work to fix the issue.
* Some people have main quest achievement problems.
* After dying and having the game auto-load, sometimes the primary fire button will get 'stuck.' By this, you cannot fire by pressing the trigger. It will keep firing automatically every few seconds. So far, the only known way to fix this is to completely shut down the console and restart it.
* After getting into a fight in tenpenny tower and speed traveling away the game locks upon re-entering tenpenny tower. The only fix is to re-start from an earlier save.
* After completing The Wasteland Survival Guide Mission where you hide an observation device in a Mirelurk Lair, Fast traveling back to Megaton causes an infinite load time. It goes to the load screen but never succeeds in loading Megaton. Restarting the Xbox has not helped.
* After seeing the Enclave for the first time in the Monument, Dad fills the control room full of radiation. As you try to escape with Doctor Li, load freezes trying to access the next room. Restarting and switching to a friends X-Box has not helped the problem, as well as switching to another disc.
* After assisting the temple of the union with the Lincoln memorial the refugees never show up if slavers are killed first. The only known solution is to wait until Hannibal asks for help with slavers before eliminating opposition at the memorial.
* Upon doing Trouble at home quest, player can only move with the LS, the RS non-functioning yet it works in pip-boy, previous saves, reloads, all have no effect, have to restart unless someone finds a fix, 16 hrs in!
* All notes have vanished from the Note page under the Data tab for unknown reason. WORKAROUND: Saving the game and using the xxlbrbxx cashe clear code on the dash board solved this problem.
* Randomly, upon exiting Megaton, a clipping issue occurs where the players legs sink into the "soft" terrain (not affected when on cement or rock). This causes movement to become sluggish/jerky and makes corpses sink and become unsearchable. Loading a previous save seems to fix the problem.
* Megaton NPCs dead for no reason. Possibly caused by falling from higher ground.

PC version bugs

* After speaking with Silver in Springvale, cannot find moriarty anywhere *note* may be on balcony area outside of the bar.
* Sometimes NPCs get stuck on path while advancing toward deployed Frag Mines then instantly appear as though they teleported through it's triggering area. Additionally, Frag Mines have also been observed warping nearby enemies onto the Mine...which then detonate spectacularly.
* Named NPCs spontaneously die in Megaton, possibly from falling off walkways or rad exposure near the bomb.
* NPCs appear to float. Reloading the game fixes this.
* Random named NPCs disappear from towns and are teleported outside of the town wall, floating in empty space. Some quests are unable to be finished in normal gameplay due to this bug. Temporarily solution is using the "tcl" command in the Console to reach those NPCs. Also you can use these commands in console mode to bring NPCs back: prid (disappeared NPC objectID), moveto (AnyObjectID). Object IDs can be find out in console mode (~) by clicking on character/object.
* AI and scripting bugs related to the "Dogmeat" companion, where the dog will randomly attack friendly NPCs.
* Scribe Rothchild can get stuck, making the main quest line impossible to continue. Can't be fixed by traveling elsewhere, pushing the character, or making him unconscious. This bug is possibly caused by Rothchild leaning to a wall in his room when you speak to him about the vault.
* Game load state may not exactly match game save state: a fresh set of enemies were spawned next to the player at the graveyard north of Big Town when loading a quicksave that was created after the player had just killed all the enemies in that area.
* Game freezes while traveling up the elevator to the top of the Washington Monument.
* Those! quest can break if player visits Marigold station and clears it of ants before prompting. When prompted to return, scientist will not be present, queen ant unreachable. This may also be a result of approaching Greyditch from the worng direction, skipping initial trigger.
* Jefferson Memorial Crash - While traveling or approaching the Jefferson memorial during main quest the game crashes. (This only occurred after speaking to Dr. Li; walked past Jefferson Memorial without trouble on the way into Rivet City.}
* Liberty Prime gets stuck and does not progress forward, making it impossible to finish the quest. (Can be fixed by waiting for an extended amount of time with the WAIT function.)
* Cannot advance main quest if discovering evidence in the wrong order in Megaton, if you sneak in the back without any tips and hack his computer
* Blood Ties quest is unable to be completed. When knocking on the doors of one of the two locked houses, you get stuck on the "..." message and have to reload a saved game. Possibly caused by entering the West's house before knocking on the 2 doors.
* The Declaration of Independence's optional quest is to retrieve Ink from Arlington Library; however, after the optional quest is completed, the Ink is still occupying your space in your MISC inventory and cannot be removed.
* The back gate of Little Lamplight gives the message "You cannot open this at this time." thus making it impossible to get to Vault 87 and continue the main quest. All dialog options exhausted.

The graphics potential of PS3 is contained inside the combination of RSX + Cell. 90% of multi-platform developers aren't making the extra effort to push PS3 graphically. For low level hardware reasons, porting PC/X360 code to PS3 yields less than optimal results. They want to make the direct X windoze stuff and shoe horn that into PS3.

They need to plan ahead and it will benefit all systems. There are developers ensuring their games are excellent on both systems. Burnout Revenge and COD4 are two examples. X360 was the lead on FO3. Porting to PC is second nature. I imagine the PS3 effort had a fraction of the budget. Hacks like Bethesda aren't coding to the metal. Most of it is middle-ware.

I read an IBM white paper discussing how 4 Cell SPEs have the potential shading power of 24 pixel ALUs on the RSX. With the Flex/IO bridge, procedurally generated textures are a possibility too. X360 gpu stands on its own. Real world there isn't a large difference between RSX and Xenos. Compared to the modern PC GPUs, they're both quite weak. Although optimized code, inside a closed box, is capable of a lot. Ratchet Future's graphics are pure RSX. I never saw anything like that during the NV70 PC era. Regarding textures etc..another problem is the O/S. It's a memory hog. Started around 64mb and is now down to about 40mb. X360 only uses ~20mb.

Pretty much this. Little Big Planet has graphics like nothing I've ever seen before. Cloth, wood, all materials have a texture and weight to them that I have never seen in a game, PC or console. It feels much more like a Pixar movie, just incredible.

Yeah, its a pain in the ass to code for but the payoff is worth it. Thing is that ports are going to suffer bigtime, while games that are made expressly for it (Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Metal Gear Solid 4) are going to look fantastic.

Think people read into it too much.. sure the PS3 may look inferior to the 360/PC .. could of just been slightly lackluster coding? I don't know.. I have a PS3 and it still looks and plays great for the most part.

LBP looks great, no doubt, but I really wish they would have gotten 1080p running smoothly. I find myself irritated slightly that not many games run at 1080p even though that was the big selling point at the launch of the console, but that's a whole other thread.

^ You should probably put a spoiler warning before your post.

like anyones going to read all that :)

I always buy games like this on PC for the simple fact of mods.. Mods made oblivion for me :)

Back