Fallen behind times.

User

n00b
You'll have to bardon my slight ignorance, been out of the modding scene for some time and I havn't kept up to date with all the new processors lately.

Anyway, I'm going about working on a new computer (old athlon is starting to show it's age) and I know for sure im going socket 754 (64-bit, good price) and been looking at a few different mobo's. The ASUS K8V Deluxe looks like a good deal, but I havn't been able to do alot of research. Not really looking to overclock too much, if at all. So that's no biggie. Anyone have some better suggestions?

Now, for the big question that I have. I've been doing more research on just what processor to get. Pretty much narrowed down to 3000+ but on newegg I noticed the mobile 3000+ (clawhammer) Normally I wouldn't pay much attention to this but the 1mb L2cache and cheaper price than the newcastle 3000+ has me interested. What's the major difference with the mobile processor? Will it work with a standard mobo, such as the ASUS K8V? or would I need to look into a "mobile" board? Thanks in advance

only get a mobile if you plan to overclock.. then you should only get one mobo:
dfi lanparty nf3-250gb

however.. why is it that you want s754? (even if i am a big proponent of it :p)

I'd be more than happy to oc, why should I only go with a mobile if I plan to oc it? One of the review's said the thing would oc like no other, with the right board which peaked my interests.:D And thanks for the recomendation on that dfi. I had been looking at them int he past and had spaced it.

I'd like to go with s754 just because I'm not looking to go all out, but I could use an upgrade. I've been interested in going with one of the amd 64 bit's since they came out and not looking to drop enough to go with s939. (I have a money pit of a car for that :rolleyes: )

If i had a bit more time in the summer left I'd pick up some more work before school started again and go with s939, as it is I'm gonna be slowly building this comp, but doing it right.

What are you all's suggestions on video cards? 6600gt over a 9800pro (my price range) or got something better thats a little above average?

I apperciate the helpful posts :D

hmm.. for the video card, i'd hold off as long as possible, but then again, i'm not really very aware of what's going on in the video card world, so you're better off taking someone else's advice here

as for only get mobile if you plan to overclock.. it provides no benefit if you don't ;)

I say don't get a video card until at least the 13th or so. There's a thread in the video card forum about some big release Nvidia is going to be making on the 11th, and no one knows what it is (except Kyle and Brent), but chances are it will make a price difference for the cards that are out now.

I reccomend a 6600GT for a budget system and a 6800GT for a little higher-end system, and of course BFG is the brand of choice because of the lifetime warranty.

Back