Falcon Heavy Tesla Carries Science Fiction Books

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you are like me, the first thing that crossed your mind when you heard about the Tesla Roadster in space, was the scene below that delivered to us in the Reagan era. However, the car flying through space may be of little importance compared to the information that was contained within, or maybe not. The Arch Mission Foundation archived and included small data crystal disks of "mankind's knowledge" that will last for "billions of years." For some reason, which I am a bit confused about, the Arch library that was included with the Falcon Heavy launch, was the Isaac Asimov Foundation Trilogy, a series of science fiction books.

Check out the video.

Our goal at the Arch Mission Foundation™ is to permanently archive human knowledge for thousands to billions of years. We exist to preserve and disseminate humanity’s knowledge across time and space, for the benefit of future generations.

Arch 1.1 and 1.2 are the first in a series of 5, and are two of the longest-lasting storage objects ever created by humans. They are immensely valuable artifacts; the product of decades of work to invent a new form of storage capable of serving the needs of the growth of big data.

If there is other life out there and they at some point come across this thing, they are either going to be thoroughly confused or be rolling their eyes into the back of their heads.

Still, a brilliant publicity stunt on the part of Musk. He needed ballast for his test launch. He could have sent up pails of cement or bricks or something, but instead he spent a meager sum on a used car (granted, an expensive used car, but still a used car) and got more publicity out of it than all of the Superbowl ads combined, which cost $5M per 30 seconds this year.

Got to hand it to the guy, he does know how to handle publicity.

Last edited:
Cue aliens sniggering behind their 'palms' at our shitty storage tech.

Man, it's stuff like this that always gets me. Do aliens, if they exist in the first place (even I'm starting to have my doubts...), even need "storage"? Do they use bits and bytes? Some other level of data information using a more advanced level of math that we don't know about yet (one that uses rhentees instead of numbers, for instance)? It's just crazy to think about how it isn't just a "I bet their SD cards hold 1,000,000 petabytes!"...it could be something that not even the smartest person on this planet could even begin to imagine how to comprehend their technology. I'd bet their stuff is based largely on artificial/created elements and probably not based on the stuff even our best tech uses now (fiber optics, quantum computing, etc).

It's just crazy.

Cue aliens sniggering behind their 'palms' at our shitty storage tech.

And yet having a real book is a common theme in SIFI. They are generally portrayed as rare and valuable items in the future.

Imaging how much this book would be worth if someone finds it intact a hundred years from now.

And yet having a real book is a common theme in SIFI. They are generally portrayed as rare and valuable items in the future.

Imaging how much this book would be worth if someone finds it intact a hundred years from now.

DId you RTFA? Its not a real book.

Put in an archive of all of GenMay. Easily the most valuable information online.

Got to hand it to the guy, he does know how to handle publicity.

at first when i was hearing of what he was going to do, i was like.. MEH, but once i saw the live video feed.. OH YEAH

and the Dont Panic was simply awesome

one thing i did notice is that after a few hours there was some damage on the car driver side door from some small space particles.

Side note: Asimov's Foundation series is a very good read. I loved those books when I read them 20 years ago.

Anyone else find it funny that Mars is getting a Tesla car before most people on Earth?

Wow, I forgot all about that. That image has to be what Elon was shooting for.

I had the soundtrack cassette to Heavy Metal. Man I wore that tape out in my first car.

Musk sure hates Martians. Most boring and tedious set of books that I recall reading from when I didn't know better.

LOL yuppers, now there's a perfect example of mankind's knowledge ... presenting fiction but calling it factual

63emmfio30f01.jpg

Back