Fake X79 motherboards?

those are China-special boards built out of surplus C602 chipsets to take advantage of the cheap used Xeon E5's

Saw some guy on YouTube testing an unbranded one he bought from Ebay for cheap to see what it was, while it worked, it was a different chipset then the one he ordered, like an H series iso a B series, only one PCI 16x and a bunch of X4 iirc, was branding mentioning mining on the driver CD, there were a lot of options in the bios regarding overclocking, unfortunatelly iirc none or almost none of them worked, came with a generic driver CD rear io shield and a sata cable.

Guess it is worth considering in a pinch but ymmv

Saw some guy on YouTube testing an unbranded one he bought from Ebay for cheap to see what it was, while it worked, it was a different chipset then the one he ordered, like an H series iso a B series, only one PCI 16x and a bunch of X4 iirc, was branding mentioning mining on the driver CD, there were a lot of options in the bios regarding overclocking, unfortunatelly iirc none or almost none of them worked, came with a generic driver CD rear io shield and a sata cable.

Guess it is worth considering in a pinch but ymmv

I'm more afraid of firmware, I believe the motherboards are x79.

This is crazy! I've never seen stuff like this before. Like, they're bootleg but kind of work so they're legit? I dunno...just seems strange. Especially some of them with like two RAM slots. Hmmm, interesting.

They're real, and they do work just fine. Just don't expect a lot other than basic functionality (overclocking and the like).

Not x79 but browsing eBay I saw some random no name boards from other chipset. Was assuming they are knockoffs

These have been out for a while now. Never pulled the trigger on one to try though.

Back