Fake Sandisk Ultra II CF cards on eBay (pics)

WCES Ryan

Gawd
I thought this would be the most appropriate section of the forum for this... just wanted to warn everybody that there are a high number of counterfeit Sandisk Ultra II CF cards on eBay. I purchased 3 such 2GB cards recently, to go with my new digital SLR camera. While they all work fine and are the right capacity, I did some investigating anyway to try and confirm their legitimacy, and I concluded that all 3 cards were fake (all bought from different sellers).

My break came when I received 2 of the cards on the same day (1 had arrived a couple weeks earlier). I noticed that the packages had a different finish on them, and after investigating them a bit closer, I noticed a couple of other small differences as well. The model numbers were slightly different, and the barcodes differed by 1 number. Those were my first clues. Next I checked the cards themselves. 2 of the cards had no edge stamp whatsoever, and the third card had an edge stamp with a serial number that is known to be used on counterfeit cards. Next I decided I need to test the speed on each. My references were Rob Galbraith's database on camera write speeds using different CF cards, as well as my standard Sandisk 1gb, which I had purchased from a local retailer and know is legitimate. My testing method was to shoot in full manual, with the camera in rapid fire mode, and timed how long it took to write a full buffer to the card. My camera is a Canon EOS 20d. Timing started when I pressed the shutter release, and ended when the CF light on the camera went out. The 3 cards were fairly close, about 17 seconds. Referencing the speeds (which I can't remember, but were terribly slow) to Rob Galbraith's database (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303), told me that the cards were way off. I did the same test with my standard Sandisk 1GB and it finished in approx 13-14 seconds. Functionally the cards were fine, and they were the correct capacity. I did however, have a problem where some pictures would come out extremely noisy and I couldn't figure out why. I now believe it was a product of the poor quality CF card.

I then decided to go to my local store and purchase a legitimate Sandisk Ultra II 2GB CF card. I got home and again did the same test. It took about 11 seconds to complete. It also had an edge stamp with a unique serial number, as well as completely different packaging from the cards that I received from eBay. There were other subtle differences on the cards as well, but the edge stamp was a big one.

Anyway, to sum things up, I've contacted each seller for a refund, which each of them has offered. I have done some research, and found that these are common counterfeit cards (2GB seems to be the most common, I don't recall seeing any other sizes). In each case where they have been discovered, the sellers are always willing to accept the cards back without a hassle. I suspect they are knowingly selling this cards and don't want to hesitate on return requests in order to keep people quiet.

I just wanted to post this to make everybody aware of the problem, and make sure nobody gets taken. I do hope to get my money back on all 3 cards, but it is a huge inconvenience regardless. And next time you see a seemingly great deal, beware, things aren't always as they seem :)

fakesandisk1.jpg

fakesandisk2.jpg

fakesandisk3.jpg

well, i guess i shouldn't look on ebay for a cheap 2gb cf card for my axim then huh.....

Hah! They got all the stickers on crooked on the fake ones :p Thanks for the warning, it's useful knowledge even if our camera uses Memory Sticks.

LOL, I didn't even notice the crooked sticker until now.

There are also fake memory sticks out there as well, I saw a page on them a while back.

I almost bought my Ultra II SD card from eBay when I saw how cheap they were but ended up getting a good deal through Dell. I never would have even thought to check if they were counterfeit.. this is a good eye opener.

What I find interesting is that the fake card has two additional patent numbers on it. Someone should search the patent office and find out if they are for the card or for something else.

ktingle said:
If the card works difference does it make?
1) He's not getting what he paid for, as the counterfeit cards are indeed slower.
2) The principle of it.

I got a fake 2gb Sony pro duo and i imagine counterfeiting flash cards is gonna be pretty common place.

Ironicaly though. My fake 2 gig is quicker to transfer to thatn my legit sony 1gig model.

Nick P said:
I almost bought my Ultra II SD card from eBay when I saw how cheap they were but ended up getting a good deal through Dell. I never would have even thought to check if they were counterfeit.. this is a good eye opener.

Ditto got mine on Dell for my 350D :D

I bought a 512MB SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash on eBay, and it looks to be legit, except the side stamp says a buncha numbers then China. Everything else looks to be like your legit one.

Thanks for posting this!

ktingle said:
If the card works difference does it make?
Like Korruption mentioned, the speed is 1 thing, and the reliablity is another.... how can I trust a card of unknown quality to store important pictures?

It's not just the Sandisk CF cards that are getting counterfeited. It's others too including Memory Sticks, SD cards, Flash drives, etc.

Someone said that if it works, then what's the problem? The problem is that these counterfeit cards do not have any warranty if they stop working and they will. Go and see if Sandisk will offer warranty on a counterfeit Sandisk CF card.

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi
http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/

Bottomline, don't buy any high capacity flash memory products off eBay.

placeboFx said:
What I find interesting is that the fake card has two additional patent numbers on it. Someone should search the patent office and find out if they are for the card or for something else.

It is a Sundisk patent.
I wonder why they changed their name from sundisk to sandisk?

You haven't said who the seller was. Why protect them, it's not likely that they don't know the cards are fake- and they'll just sell them again.

yevaud said:
You haven't said who the seller was. Why protect them, it's not likely that they don't know the cards are fake- and they'll just sell them again.

Just do a search on eBay for Sandisk 2GB Compact Flash, 99% of the sellers would be selling counterfeit cards.

I haven't posted the sellers names because:

a) I think it is irrelevant, every other seller will be selling counterfeit cards also. Just don't buy flash memory off eBay, period

b) They have not denied me a refund yet. Until such time that they won't return my money, I will assume that their supplier gave them the fraudulent cards. Innocent until proven guilty. If they don't give me a refund soon, then I will post their names

WCES Ryan said:
b) They have not denied me a refund yet. Until such time that they won't return my money, I will assume that their supplier gave them the fraudulent cards. Innocent until proven guilty. If they don't give me a refund soon, then I will post their names
good point.

I bought a Sandisk Ultra II CF 1GB on eBay last week. Its front and back view look identically to your legitimate card ( except 1GB vs 2GB of course ) but the side view doesn't. There is no so-called "edge stamp" and hence, no serial number. Also on the package, the model number is printed as "SDCEH-1024-904" instead of the correct one "SDCFH-1024-901". After googling a litte bit, I was confident that it is a counterfeit. Sent an email to the seller about my discovery last night. He quickly refunded my money this morning in full and asked me to return the card so he can "return it to his supplier". It seems we can't trust these Sandisk's high capacity Ultra II cards on eBay. By the way, he is a power seller with nearly one thousand feedback, 99.9% of them are positive !!!

WCES Ryan said:
LOL, I didn't even notice the crooked sticker until now.

There are also fake memory sticks out there as well, I saw a page on them a while back.
That explains the super cheap memory 2GB sticks floating around ebay.

post the name of the ebay seller so that we can avoid his auctions...

what's worse is that the sellers probably charge $20 first class shipping on a card that weighs an ounce.

overthetop said:
It's not just the Sandisk CF cards that are getting counterfeited. It's others too including Memory Sticks, SD cards, Flash drives, etc.

Someone said that if it works, then what's the problem? The problem is that these counterfeit cards do not have any warranty if they stop working and they will. Go and see if Sandisk will offer warranty on a counterfeit Sandisk CF card.

Bottomline, don't buy any high capacity flash memory products off eBay.

I bought a SanDisk 4GB Cruzer Mini off Ebay when they first came out. Died within a week and SanDisk wouldn't do shit because it was counterfeit. Buyer Beware to say the least on Ebay.

n1ce_hat said:
I bought a 512MB SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash on eBay, and it looks to be legit, except the side stamp says a buncha numbers then China. Everything else looks to be like your legit one.

Thanks for posting this!

What are the numbers? Some counterfeit cards have a fake serial number printed on the side. The two I know of are ASS0604CH and ASS0603DH. You can always contact Sandisk as well and I am sure they can verify if your serial number is valid or not.

snapshooter said:
I bought a Sandisk Ultra II CF 1GB on eBay last week. Its front and back view look identically to your legitimate card ( except 1GB vs 2GB of course ) but the side view doesn't. There is no so-called "edge stamp" and hence, no serial number. Also on the package, the model number is printed as "SDCEH-1024-904" instead of the correct one "SDCFH-1024-901". After googling a litte bit, I was confident that it is a counterfeit. Sent an email to the seller about my discovery last night. He quickly refunded my money this morning in full and asked me to return the card so he can "return it to his supplier". It seems we can't trust these Sandisk's high capacity Ultra II cards on eBay. By the way, he is a power seller with nearly one thousand feedback, 99.9% of them are positive !!!
It's very easy for them to get away with, that's why they have such high feedback. That, or you do what I did, test the card, it works, then give them positive feedback. It can take some time to figure out that the cards are counterfeit, and by that time it's too late. I'm sure most people don't even notice anyway.

I buy my sandisks from ebay, but there is no way it can be faked, since sandisk is the only company who makes split usb sd cards :)

I got screwed over by a counterfeit 1GB SD card...lost nearly all the pics of a family vacation. Pretty fucking pissed after that, I'll tell you. I just wait around to grab 'em after-rebate from buy.com or similar retailers now.

There are just some things you can't buy on eBay. Camera batteries, Gameboy games and media cards are just a few... effing knock-offs.

Ockie said:
I buy my sandisks from ebay, but there is no way it can be faked, since sandisk is the only company who makes split usb sd cards :)

The counterfeiters haven't got around to Sandisk SD Plus cards yet. I'll bet that they'll do it soon.

i just bought two Sandisk Ultra II 1gb cards last week off ebay and when i got them i put them in my DSLR to find out they stored half of what my Lexar 1gb card did that i already had!
so i started to do some checking on various photo forums and i found this link
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001235396

so after figuring out my two cards were fake i contacted the seller and he gladly refunded my money. i may still report him, but there are so many counterfeit sellers, and they may not even realize it?

in the meantime i ordered from a web storefront on pricegrabber.com and this guy had great reputation and the card just came today and its a fake also! so im gonna write him an email here shortly to make him aware of his distributer cause he may not know about this problem?

so the moral of the story is... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
im done f-ing around, im spending the money and buy from a B&M store!

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi

I heard about this a while ago when I was in the market for some CF cards to build some embedded machines, one thing I heard is that many of them are actually smaller flash cards that have been reprogrammed to identify themselves as larger cards, i.e. 2 GB card that has a real capacity of 512 MB or 1 GB, etc.

overthetop said:

You saying this has put me off of buying a 2GB microSD card (from eBay). :(
miniSD is easy and a dime a dozen, but microSD doesn't have the same capactiy of other flash memory, so trying to get the maximum capacity microSD card (at a premium since it's at the top) is a pain. Currently that's 2GB. I wish I could buy a microSD card that had at least double that amount.

At any rate, there isn't really any B&M locations or online retailers I can go for this. Anyone else have any options? (most places only have 1gb cards, ebay is one of the few places that have 2gb cards)

WCES Ryan said:

It doesn't really matter if they did it on purpose or not.

90% of people that buy the cards will never notice that they are fake.

Picture this. They knowingly sell fake memory cards. A person like you figures out the problem... email them. They say "thanks for letting us know, we'll fix it. Here is your money back." They get the card back and sell it to some other sucker.

While they keep the money they stole from the 95% other people that they sold to and continue to sell the counterfeit merchendise...

You should tell us who sold you the fakes so that we don't get ripped off...

Truthfully, ebay just isn't the place to buy memory cards.

i would report them all to ebay for knowingly selling fraudulent products. i did that when i bought a dvd i thought was legitimate. reported the seller and he was probably "investigated." i hate pirates who try to take advantage of others.

Ryan,

Twelve days ago, I purchased two SanDisk 4GB - Ultra CF II cards. However, I think that they are fake, because I found a post via Google about how to spot a fake SanDisk card. And I found your post. So, now the four GB's have joined the market on eBay.

What is the name of the eBay seller that you purchased your cards from? My seller is in Israel, I paid him $171.00 for these two cards. Problem is that I got these because I needed them for a 1 month long vacation that I'm taking in a few days.

I've inserted one of the 4gb cards into my Nikon D70, and am testing out the card. I'm taking a lot of pictures just to test out the card to see if it will work properly or not.

It doesn't have a serial number on the card itself, not the Made in China that you showed. I found another post about how to spot a fake SanDisk card from some Aussie.

I hate getting ripped off, and disappointed that I spent so much money on a counterfeit SanDisk Ultra II 4.0 card.

If eBay is aware that many of these sellers are selling fakes, why don't they stop them?

Ryan, it's been 3 months since your June 1st post. Were you able to get eBay/PayPal refunds? In the past, I've found dealing with eBay/PayPal to be a pain in the butt as they are slow to respond.

To protect myself, I will have to file a "not received as described' complaint on eBay.

How to identify counterfeit SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash Cards
http://reviews.ebay.com/Beware-of-F...lash-Cards-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000001235396

Thanks for your response. Any advice would be appreciated.

Will - San Francisco

Back