Fake Facebook Haiti Fundraisers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It didn’t take long before people started trying to take advantage of the disaster in Haiti. Rule of thumb, don’t donate to any of the shady MySpace, Facebook, Twitter “donate here” pages. If you are going to donate, do so through a reputable organization with a history of helping people (not themselves).

Fake fundraising efforts for the Haiti disaster are spreading like wildfire on Facebook. Dozens of fan pages have been set up, urging users to join and promising a $1 donation for each member. One group this weekend attracted 1.5 million members before it was disabled.

I hope that all these bastards get tracked down, and are punished severely for profiting off human misery.

I'm sure many of us knew it was only a matter of time before this happened.

It didn’t take long before people started trying to take advantage of the disaster in Haiti. Rule of thumb, don’t donate to any of the shady MySpace, Facebook, Twitter “donate here” pages. If you are going to donate, do so through a reputable organization with a history of helping people (not themselves).

CNN has a list of trusted organizations handling donations for Haiti

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/index.html

I mailed this to everyone in my company with a warning from the FBI site to be wary of emails and IMs and Facebook pages asking for your donation for Haiti.

CNN has a list of trusted organizations handling donations for Haiti

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/index.html

I mailed this to everyone in my company with a warning from the FBI site to be wary of emails and IMs and Facebook pages asking for your donation for Haiti.

Yele Haiti (from the CNN link) is also known to be making a profit from the Haitian relief efforts: Wyclef Jean Charity's Funny Money

Please don't give that man any more money.

Let's continue to hold up people that wont help themselves... We have enough problems on our own streets.

Let's continue to hold up people that wont help themselves... We have enough problems on our own streets.

huh? sure this could be valid in some situations but come on, you cant really help yourself if practically your entire nation was leveled

huh? sure this could be valid in some situations but come on, you cant really help yourself if practically your entire nation was leveled

WARNING: Off-Topic Rant //

Interesting logic. Maybe, and this is just a shot in the fucking dark here, if their nation's government actually did their job and gave a shit about its people, this earthquake would be a different story. But don't get me started on third-world governments and their relations with the United States.

On the same note, did I miss something regarding this earthquake? I'm confused... I mean, I've heard nothing but Haiti earthquake on the news, the radio, the internet, the newspapers, everywhere. And I mean everywhere. The movie stars, "rock" stars, other celebrities, profiteers, and just about everyone else is coming out in droves getting their names and money into their Haiti mess. I heard on my way home from work this morning, Bono, Sting and Tom Hanks, plus 40 something other celebs are having some form of charity event. Not a surprise, but why the sudden outcry of support for Haiti? Our government is also sending more military to help control the chaos, because shit, we can always spare our military for foreign causes.

I just feel like I didn't get a fucking memo or something. Why is this such a big deal? Haiti is not the first nation, people or region of the world to be effected by a national disaster. But shit, with the support for Haiti coming out of the fucking wood work, you'd think different.

Oh, and all the people bitching about criminals fraudulently stealing money in the name of Haiti relief.... First, why is anyone surprised? It's happen before and it will happen again. Second, welcome to the American dream, where the criminals get rich while they pray on the misplaced sympathy of others.

// End Rant......

But please, if you don't like what I said, don't waste forum bandwidth bashing me with your ignorance, because honestly I don't care and I won't read it. Thanks!

Since I can't edit, just wanted to add 1 more thing, this is yet another reason in the endless list of reasons I don't have a FaceBook account, go no where near FaceBook, and think FaceBook should cease to exist.

It's fucking stupid, and filled with cretins. People need to set aside their social networking obessions, put down their crack berries, and step back from the keyboard... MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook contain probably not 1 single bit of intellectually worthy content, and should thus die......... Ok, enough said...

.... Maybe, and this is just a shot in the fucking dark here,

But please, if you don't like what I said, don't waste forum bandwidth bashing me with your ignorance, because honestly I don't care and I won't read it. Thanks!

Yes, shot in the dark.

And why did you waste forum bandwidth bashing with your ignorance? Hypocrite.

Back more on topic... People stole and con'd folks for 9/11 money... thieving money meant for Haiti... thats hardly a dent in the karma levels for some of these folks.

Eh... my brother and uncle were in Haiti for the peacekeeping missions... an honest 40% of the city folk arent worth the air they breathe. The rest are even worse because they know they need to do something but they wont stand up.

But thats what happens when you let go of freedom and just take a handout (cough CURRENT US Citizen logic)

Wow. It's amazing how tragedies such as this are also great opportunities to show people how much of a dick a given person is.

Just a heads-up, guys: people don't deserve death because they are lazy. Last time I checked, we as Americans had more compassion than that. Don't speak of others as being 'cretins' and then turn around and say that an entire people deserve death because of your shallow and stereotypical view of how they live their lives.

It is a big deal because 200,000 people died. That is 2% of their population. How anyone can not see this as a big deal is beyond me. That is the equivalent in percentage as if 30 million Americans just suddenly died. I wonder what some of you dudes who wonder why this is a big deal would feel if that many Americans died.

Afraid people are going to tear you a new asshole for being a narrow-minded prick?

Eh... my brother and uncle were in Haiti for the peacekeeping missions... an honest 40% of the city folk arent worth the air they breathe. The rest are even worse because they know they need to do something but they wont stand up.

But thats what happens when you let go of freedom and just take a handout (cough CURRENT US Citizen logic)

Wow. It's amazing how tragedies such as this are also great opportunities to show people how much of a dick a given person is.

Just a heads-up, guys: people don't deserve death because they are lazy. Last time I checked, we as Americans had more compassion than that. Don't speak of others as being 'cretins' and then turn around and say that an entire people deserve death because of your shallow and stereotypical view of how they live their lives.

It is a big deal because 200,000 people died. That is 2% of their population. How anyone can not see this as a big deal is beyond me. That is the equivalent in percentage as if 30 million Americans just suddenly died. I wonder what some of you dudes who wonder why this is a big deal would feel if that many Americans died.

Afraid people are going to tear you a new asshole for being a narrow-minded prick?

You're right and I totally agree with you, in this context. Too bad your perception it's only valid on this given time. And that's a really disappointing thing. 2000 Years ago, you would had been considered the moron instead. But you see there's the fun part, it's all relative because it's only perception. The Catholic/Christian conception of the world which is unique to this civilization will end up being its doom in the end. Something which is already in process.
I am based on this terrible fact: Justice is an ideal and it only exists as a concept in your mind. In reality, death is a part of life and 200,000 of a people that's not your own people IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL IN A WORLD THAT'S DYING BECAUSE OF OVER POPULATION. It's called natural selection and DAMN BAD LUCK.
I'll like to see help coming from third world countries when the U.S. gets in trouble because of a natural disaster. I'd really like to see that. Now THAT will be a world with real Justice.
I was working on an office on a third world country when 9/11 happened and I literally saw people cheer when the news arrived. One of those, at least reports in his Facebook that he lives and studies postgraduate studies here in the U.S.
Guess where the Haitians that could do something for their country are :D. Look around you. You'll probably find them here.

You're right and I totally agree with you, in this context. Too bad your perception it's only valid on this given time. And that's a really disappointing thing. 2000 Years ago, you would had been considered the moron instead. But you see there's the fun part, it's all relative because it's only perception. The Catholic/Christian conception of the world which is unique to this civilization will end up being its doom in the end. Something which is already in process.
I am based on this terrible fact: Justice is an ideal and it only exists as a concept in your mind. In reality, death is a part of life and 200,000 of a people that's not your own people IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL IN A WORLD THAT'S DYING BECAUSE OF OVER POPULATION. It's called natural selection and DAMN BAD LUCK.
I'll like to see help coming from third world countries when the U.S. gets in trouble because of a natural disaster. I'd really like to see that. Now THAT will be a world with real Justice.
I was working on an office on a third world country when 9/11 happened and I literally saw people cheer when the news arrived. One of those, at least reports in his Facebook that he lives and studies postgraduate studies here in the U.S.
Guess where the Haitians that could do something for their country are :D. Look around you. You'll probably find them here.

You are an idiot.

The world is not dying from overpopulation per say, it is dying from over consumption related to said population. Haiti does not even factor in this equation, the U.S. however has less than 5% of the world population and consumes over 60% of the world resources.

Get it now? Oh wait probably not.

200,000 people dying because of poor, aging infrastructure is tragic, thats it.

I'm in a Battalion thats getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan. All geared up mobilized and just waiting for the word go. One of my battle buddies, whose Haitian, is trying his damnedest to go to Haiti instead. And I've read stories on the internet of other Haitian soldiers in similar situations.

Tell me how that falls into your whole human nature thing.

On topic this really isnt anything new. A suckers born every minute.

What´s wrong with the Red Cross?

9/11 and Katrina. Red Cross diverted a lot of funds that was suppose to go to the victims. Employees from the RC went to jail. The RC are crooks and I can't believe people are still giving their donations to them. It seems like people have such short memory these days. Give them a dollar and you'll be lucky if 10¢ gets to the victims.

Back