Failure rate of SAMSUNG 840 250GB SSD?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I've had this drive for just under a month and today I turned on my laptop and it failed to boot. I tried several times but it never worked, fortunately I'd not formatted my old mechanical HDD yet, so I popped it in and the laptop started up fine.

Funny part is it started up fine, but upon reboot I got "cannot start windows the device is unavailable" (though I get as far as a windows boot menu "start windows normally" or "start windows repair setup" --- when then prompts me for the windows disc (which I now have to download and burn since the PC didn't come with them) I don't know whether to try the repair setup or just re-clone the HDD onto the SSD...

So... thoughts?

Id do clean windows reformat. Havent had any samsung ssd's fail on me yet... (knocks on wood)

Telling someone "Should have gotten Pro" is a ridiculous statement.

The Pro version of the drive is a bit faster and a bit more money, maybe the Pro wasn't within budget.

Ashton, there is nothing wrong with your decision to migrate to the SSD you choose.

What is more likely is that Cloning from the Mechanical to SSD wasn't happy in some way. Cloning is a viable method of switching HDD's so don't be discouraged that it may have led to this problem.

It is also possible that had you been running on your Mechanical HD the same thing would have happened if the problem is something within the OS.

Booting up your Mechanical HDD could mean when you removed the Mechanical HDD the OS was operating normal. By putting it back into your laptop it is resuming where it was at shutdown, a working state. Now if you run on the Mechanical HDD and give it some time the same thing could happen, if there was a change in the OS that led to this problem.

A fresh OS install onto the SSD is the correct course of action. Then run it for a while and see if it does it again.

May also want to ensure your laptop has the latest firmware(s).

Lol I was just joking about the pro comment. I would try it in a known-to-be working pc to troubleshoot. Then if necessary, return it to Samsung. I've had to return SSDs to crucial and corsair before. These things happen. The first PC I ever build had a dead on arrival power supply.

What is more likely is that Cloning from the Mechanical to SSD wasn't happy in some way. Cloning is a viable method of switching HDD's so don't be discouraged that it may have led to this problem.

It is also possible that had you been running on your Mechanical HD the same thing would have happened if the problem is something within the OS.

yeah, I'm a little skidding still of SSDs, sorry, I still remember the old "fail within 1M reads/writes drives...

Actually what *seemed* to cause the problem was windows installed updates, then the drive failed to boot. I swapped the SSD for the old HDD and it did the same updates and didnt have a problem...

Yeah, that's what I was hoping when I replaced the mechanical drive after the SSD wouldn't boot ;) lol. I'll be re-cloning the SSD tonight, there just is too much stuff to have to reinstall on that drive - it would take me weeks and I will have 1 night instead, unfortunately... but at first chance I will do a fresh install. Thank you for the info :)

Lol I was just joking about the pro comment. I would try it in a known-to-be working pc to troubleshoot. Then if necessary, return it to Samsung. I've had to return SSDs to crucial and corsair before. These things happen. The first PC I ever build had a dead on arrival power supply.

Unfortuantely I only have 1 laptop, though it seems to be working find with the old drive, so....

I'm very dissapointed if the SSD indeed did fail, untill now I'm been nothign but thrilled with all my Samsung products, never had a problem (and honestly am not expecting one if I have to return this --- hope I dont, but if I do...)

I hope this works out well for you...and It would certainly make me feel better as I just switched over to a Samsung SSD on my Desktop and the whole process took over a week. I hope to not ever have to do it again.

Sorry, had a very busy weekend.

Re-cloned the drive, it's working fine right now, but originally it worked great for about 2-3 weeks before this incident, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully that was just a fluke. (Though I'm not going to format the old mechanical drive now --- was planning to use it for media, now I'm keeping it as an "emergency backup" as long as I have this drive...)

Back